TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #61
MigueloP

Can we use the fan with the oem 97 fancluch?

MigueloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #62
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueloP View Post
Can we use the fan with the oem 97 fancluch?
No, clutch isn't good enough.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #63
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

now THIS is cool
was scratching my head for three weeks now how to get tranny cooler, ac condenser and rad cooler. We had several 118*F days here with high humidity... and my factory temp gauge was slightly above its normal position ... but not climbing further.

Most annoying was the drag on the engine when the stock fan clutch with the stock 5 blade fan was fully engaged. Even the idle RPM went up to 1200 in N and 1000 in D several times with my hotter engine. (would go down after a longer 50 mph drive with 4 TC locked and ~1800 rpm ... with the engine temps going back to normal)

I was even thinking about an additional washer fluid bottle, switch and nozzle in front of rad combo for these extreme "moments" ... will go with the 9 Blade Ford Fan ASAP

THANX !
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #64
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

why does this not work for say a 99 wrangler? is it left hand thread and not right ? i would like a better fan for my 99 early edition .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #65
Benderff
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbiehind View Post
why does this not work for say a 99 wrangler? is it left hand thread and not right ? i would like a better fan for my 99 early edition .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
For the 2000+ 4.0L water pump, it's RH thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-jmart13 View Post
why wont this work for a 97?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
water pumps are different. fan clutch mount is different.
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #66
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

got a 10 blade + fan clutch from the junkyard installed.

no comment on cooling yet, i'll reserve judgement for my next trip to the mountains. so far, idling with A/C on i'm not seeing a major improvement.

one thing I did notice is all the Explorer plastic fans in the junkyard had stress fractures in between the blades.

this one I got had the least amount of cracking...but others were very bad with complete cracks all the way across the surface between each blade. so watch out for that if you go the junkyard route.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #67
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to see if I can research this for us 97-99 TJ owners. Maybe the Mustang clutch mentioned above will work. I would head out to the JY tomorrow, but its supposed to be 99 tomorrow. Over heating has always been an issue for me at slow speeds and runnig the AC is a Even at hwy speeds with my dumb electric fan.

I really want to do this mod rather than going back to an OEM unit.

Thanks for the awesome find!
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #68
MigueloP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
No, clutch isn't good enough.
is there any hd clutch for the 97 to use with the fan?
MigueloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #69
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueloP View Post
is there any hd clutch for the 97 to use with the fan?
I'm sorry I do not know. Chris142 came up with this mod and he works in a radiator shop, so maybe he can help when he logs on.
Unread 07-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #70
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

At some point, we will need to work up some part numbers for the various fan clutches. Hayden lists at least 3 different versions based on your temperate zone with regular, heavy duty, and severe duty being the options I've found so far.

I'm looking for a severe duty to swap in place of the OEM 7 blade and matching clutch as a comparison and it won't be from a salvage yard.
Unread 07-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #71
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
At some point, we will need to work up some part numbers for the various fan clutches. Hayden lists at least 3 different versions based on your temperate zone with regular, heavy duty, and severe duty being the options I've found so far.

I'm looking for a severe duty to swap in place of the OEM 7 blade and matching clutch as a comparison and it won't be from a salvage yard.
Over the next few weeks I'll be comparing this Explorer fan & clutch with the Autozone/Hayden Severe Duty with the stock 5-blade. Autozone's PN: 922791. They must have PN that will work with 7-blade...maybe a 1998 Dodge Ram truck 5.2/5.9L or a full size van?
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #72
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
got a 10 blade + fan clutch from the junkyard installed.

no comment on cooling yet, i'll reserve judgement for my next trip to the mountains. so far, idling with A/C on i'm not seeing a major improvement.

one thing I did notice is all the Explorer plastic fans in the junkyard had stress fractures in between the blades.

this one I got had the least amount of cracking...but others were very bad with complete cracks all the way across the surface between each blade. so watch out for that if you go the junkyard route.
They all do that! The metal that the plastic is molded to goes very deep. It does not seem to hurt the fans. I have seen them much worse and never seen one come apart.

Did you use the old fan clutch or buy a new one? Over time fan clutches lose their efficiency and any 20 yr old fan clutch is due to be replaced.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #73
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
Did you use the old fan clutch or buy a new one? Over time fan clutches lose their efficiency and any 20 yr old fan clutch is due to be replaced.
i reused the Explorer fan clutch.
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #74
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i reused the Explorer fan clutch.
Does it seem to move air like it should? If it doesn't you will need to buy a new clutch.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #75
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The one thing I did notice Chris is that it does not suck a towel up the grill quite like yours is showing. Hmm!

Tags
10 blade , 5 blade , 9 blade , cooling , explorer , fan blade , Fan clutch , ford , upgrade

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.