TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 11-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #526
Xtremegameroom
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Edit- nvm

Xtremegameroom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #527
hewesyourdaddy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to bring up a worn out thread. I just did this change-over last night. I was debating about the e-fan conversion, but this looked a lot simpler. I got the Dorman fan for the '93 Explorer and the Imperial severe duty clutch. I wasn't sure about using the severe duty clutch, so I kept the existing one to reuse with the Dorman fan just in case. This fan is what Chrysler should have been using all of the time. Not sure if the airflow is greater, but this symmetrical fan spins a lot smoother and is a lot quieter than the 5 blade asymmetrical fan. I think this should be done to any jeep with the 5 bladed fan regardless of what fan clutch you use.
hewesyourdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #528
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewesyourdaddy View Post
Sorry to bring up a worn out thread. I just did this change-over last night. I was debating about the e-fan conversion, but this looked a lot simpler. I got the Dorman fan for the '93 Explorer and the Imperial severe duty clutch. I wasn't sure about using the severe duty clutch, so I kept the existing one to reuse with the Dorman fan just in case. This fan is what Chrysler should have been using all of the time. Not sure if the airflow is greater, but this symmetrical fan spins a lot smoother and is a lot quieter than the 5 blade asymmetrical fan. I think this should be done to any jeep with the 5 bladed fan regardless of what fan clutch you use.
I'm glad they didn't. I tried this mod, even different clutches and didn't like it. It was too noisy over 3k. Returned it back to stock.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #529
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
I'm glad they didn't. I tried this mod, even different clutches and didn't like it. It was too noisy over 3k. Returned it back to stock.
For me it was opposite. My oem fan was really noisy, sucked power on hot days with A/C on, and caused belt squeal. I switched to a junk yard 10 blade Explorer fan and new Hayden clutch. Much quieter, doesn't suck as much power away, no belt squeal, and the A/C is cooler on hot days when idling.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #530
hewesyourdaddy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Haven't had mine over 3k rpms.... ever. Might try it today just to see. I've got an auto trans, so I'm turning 2k at a little over 55mph. I never travel on the interstate or go faster than 65, so not sure what speed 3000rpms is gonna give me. My brother has an '06 Rubicon LJ and the difference in rpm at the same speed is amazing to me. He may give the conversion a try but is also worried about the noise.
hewesyourdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #531
BootheelBoy
1986 CJ7 

I did the 9 blade swap over a year ago with all new parts from autozone. I also used the severe duty clutch. It did pull more air through the radiator. While it did make a bit more noise I was happy with the results. After checking the jeeps fluid levels one day I noticed the plastic fan had developed cracks in it. Two of the cracks were directly across from one another and very deep. I took it off due to me being afraid it would come apart and ruin all kinds of things under the hood. For you people that have done this swap you might want to check the condition of your fan.
BootheelBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #532
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
For me it was opposite. My oem fan was really noisy, sucked power on hot days with A/C on, and caused belt squeal. I switched to a junk yard 10 blade Explorer fan and new Hayden clutch. Much quieter, doesn't suck as much power away, no belt squeal, and the A/C is cooler on hot days when idling.
That was the very reason I tried this mod. Made no difference for me.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #533
jbg1980
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So does anyone know what part numbers work without issues?
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #534
Badazv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm anxious to try this mod for A/C purposes.
My TJ runs a consistent 200-210 deg., so engine overheat isnt the issue.
I want a more consistent A/C as it seems to not work quite as well since the body lift was installed and the bottom portion of the shroud was cut out for clearance.
I picked up a 9 or 10 blade(dont remember which) from an Explorer for $10 and will install this w/e.

Last edited by Badazv; 08-02-2013 at 07:55 AM..
Badazv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #535
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazv View Post
the bottom portion of the shroud was cut out for clearance.
that's the problem. get a new shroud and drill new holes to position the full shroud correctly.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #536
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
that's the problem. get a new shroud and drill new holes to position the full shroud correctly.
Truer words were never spoken.

My Jeep PO removed 90% of the shroud (left just enough to hold the coolant overflow bottle), and it ran on the warm side of 210. The AC wasn't as good as in my '99. I bought a new shroud from the dealer and everything works as it should now.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #537
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg1980 View Post
So does anyone know what part numbers work without issues?
OEM TSB 7 blade fan - 55037650AA
OEM TSB Fan clutch 05066177AA

Those work, to bad you cant get them anymore...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #538
QESdunn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looking to reduce thermostat to 180, increase number of blades, and replace fan clutch that kicks in at 190.

My concern is overloading belt and fan engaging unnecessarily.

1999 TJ 4.0L automatic 31" tires aired to 32#
You can see the TJ in my Jeep gallery
I've since modified the stinger and cut out a large triangle opening to allow for better air flow.
I've cinched the winch hook to the bumper instead of the stinger.
I've reworked the winch cover to close fit to allow better unobstructed air flow.

Flat and level TJ runs smooth as silk at 85 and 215 degrees, but

pulling any slight hill at 75 mph pushes engine temperature over 230; must slow down to 60 to stabilize at 215. Ambient air 90 and RH 28%.

My transmission cooler covers the entire grill side of the radiator and the fins are perpendicular between the two radiators. From my limited experience with making a lift gate for one of my trailers, the small openings at 60+ miles per hour block the air flow and most of the air sheets off rather than going through the finned openings. For my unprepared mind, this perpendicular configuration doesn't make sense to me because the radiator is capable of more air flow than the transmission cooler will allow.

Is this a stock configuration for a TJ? Or is this someone's attempt to get cooler transmission temperatures? (incidentally, no installed temp gauges)

The gaps at the bottom between the 2 radiators allows for the fan to pull in fresh air from that direction, if the fan engages. If the fan does not engage, then the air through the transmission cooler can partially shunt around engine radiator.

Routinely get 100 ambient temps here.

I'd like to change out the thermostat to 180 and get a fan clutch that kicks in at 190.

I never hear air flow at any temperature, so I'm contemplating which thermostat, blade, clutch option is best.

Is there a reason why the engine temperature must be 210 all the time?

I'm sure the engineers are much more endowed with well considered ideas than mine; but just thinking. I don't want to waste money on an effort that someone else has already tried with unsuccessful results. Or change something where there is a known reason not to.

Definition of Insane: Doing the same thing repeatedly under the same conditions and expecting different results.

Last edited by QESdunn; 08-14-2013 at 09:24 PM..
QESdunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #539
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The thermostat only controls the mimimum temp. So if it hits 230+ with a 195 stat it will also do it with a 180 stat. Once the stat is open it has no control over the upper temps.
The computer system is designed to run at 195 or hotter and an engine that runs 195 and hotter has less ring and bore wear than a cooler running engine.
I started this thread and I'm still running the Explorer fan. no belt problems or anything like that on mine even running the original tensioner with a 143 thousand miles on it now. I chased running hot problems in mine for years before I found the secrets. the biggest change I made was hogging out the thermostat housing to flow more water. that made a bigger difference than all the other mods combined.
Now with all my mods 110 degree day with the AC on pulling a long grade it's rare to see it hit 215.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #540
QESdunn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hogging out Thermostat Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
... the biggest change I made was hogging out the thermostat housing to flow more water. that made a bigger difference than all the other mods combined.
Thanks for the insight about higher temps and the related better durability; I thought it would make the metal softer.

I've read aaa lll ooo ttt of the posts in this thread, but I missed your "hogging out the thermostat housing" post.

I'll do a search in the forum

Are you saying take the thermostat and widen the spring loaded throat without damaging the sealing surfaces so that the water is capable of flowing through better?

I went to O-Reilly's and purchased a Hayden clutch fan, cleaned the stock 5 blade fan and reassembled. I rolled a rag and plugged the top opening between the transmission cooler and radiator to prevent recirculation hot air from the engine compartment through the radiator. Can't see a difference yet for sure. But I drove uphill at 75 for 2 miles and it didn't overheat. Not much of a test, but that is just how much hwy I had before my exit.

My next plan is to fit a sheet metal extension to eliminate some of the gap between the fan and the shroud.

Last edited by QESdunn; 08-16-2013 at 04:54 PM..
QESdunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
10 blade , 5 blade , 9 blade , cooling , explorer , fan blade , Fan clutch , ford , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.