TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #451
47MTP
2013 JK Wrangler 

MML = Motor Mount Lift? Sorry, I see the term thrown around a lot on this thread....I did an advanced search on MML and got no hits![/QUOTE]

That's correct. Jeepers have almost as many acronyms as the military.
Bert

47MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #452
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yep MML = Motor Mount Lift.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #453
HappyPancake!
2001 TJ Wrangler 

FYI. OK So I bought a 9 blade and a motor craft clutch when this thread first started. Don't know why as I never had any overheating problems. Today I " locked" my fan with painters tape and let the temp of the thermostat housing (used an IR gun) go up to 235F then released then fan. The fan did not rip the tape at 235F. I cut the tape and the clutch engaged with the IR gun reading 207F within a few minutes. Again, just an FYI. My radiator is new. I'lI hold on to my purchase for the future.
HappyPancake! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #454
Bills03tj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I did this mod and had to put the stock fan back on. I was wheelin' yesterday and my Jeep's temp's got into the red twice. It never did that with the stock fan.
Bills03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #455
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills03tj View Post
I did this mod and had to put the stock fan back on. I was wheelin' yesterday and my Jeep's temp's got into the red twice. It never did that with the stock fan.
Did you hear the new fan roar when it got hot? Maybe you got a bad but new fan clutch?

Mines been doing great in the SoCal desert with the AC on.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #456
Bills03tj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, so long as the rev's were up it would keep it cool. But a crawling speeds it ran hot. Put the stocker back on today and running around town and stopped at red lights it stayed below 210. With the Ford fan it would get a little above 210 and that's with the heavy duty clutch.
Bills03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #457
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Update on my findings:

I picked up an aftermarket Explorer 9-blade fan (VDO brand, price matched to $20 after Checker's couldn't get the Dorman for weeks). It does fit way better in the shroud than the Ford 10-blade - pretty much perfect. The 9-blade seems to work better than the 10-blade, but haven't had it on long enough to make a firm determination between the two. The Ford 10-blade didn't seem to cool as good as the stocker at idle, but it did better above 1500rpms, and it certainly sucks far more power out of the engine. Still looking into the 9-blade to see if it has a different response.

Now this Hayden 2973 is starting to cause squeeling on the belt when fully locked up. Starting about 3000rpms, but is very faint and I can't hear it unless driving next to a K-rail on the highway...but at 3800-4000rpms or so, the squeel gets really loud like it did before with the Torquflo clutch & stock 5-blade. Maybe its the tensioner, but I still think its this damn Gates belt. With the new belt, it was great for about 1500 miles, but now its turning out just like the old one as it breaks in....

One interesting thing I noticed was the VDO 9-blade appeared to have two bolt patterns on it...one for the Explorer clutch and one for the Jeep/Chrysler clutch.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #458
TheSlowDown
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
Did you hear the new fan roar when it got hot? Maybe you got a bad but new fan clutch?

Mines been doing great in the SoCal desert with the AC on.
I've noticed at least a few people on here stating that the temps are too hot with this setup (or similar setup with different blade count fan).

Do you think it's possible that these fans are designed to work more efficiently at higher RPMs due to the normal projected use of the original vehicle the fan was designed for?

Perhaps similar to boat propellers where you have to decide what your intended use is: high-speed short distance has a much different design than low-speed crossing/transit for example.

Anyone with experience driving a late model Ford Exploder? I would imagine it spends little time at lower RPMs, at least compared to a Jeep Wrangler.
TheSlowDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #459
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlowDown View Post
I've noticed at least a few people on here stating that the temps are too hot with this setup (or similar setup with different blade count fan).

Do you think it's possible that these fans are designed to work more efficiently at higher RPMs due to the normal projected use of the original vehicle the fan was designed for?

Perhaps similar to boat propellers where you have to decide what your intended use is: high-speed short distance has a much different design than low-speed crossing/transit for example.

Anyone with experience driving a late model Ford Exploder? I would imagine it spends little time at lower RPMs, at least compared to a Jeep Wrangler.
Fan RPMs vs. Engine RPMs based on Pulley Ratio differences
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #460
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles

Fan RPMs vs. Engine RPMs based on Pulley Ratio differences
I don't know exact ratios, but the water pump/fan pulley is smaller than the crank, therefore the fan should be spinning faster than the engine.

On the jeep anyways, but I suspect it's that way with every vehicle. Maybe if someone can measure the pulleys of both the jeep and ford.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #461
Brazos609
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What's your take on trying to upgrade the mechanical fan vs using the 03-06 TJ 2.4L electric fan assembly?
Brazos609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #462
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah Unlimited04 I tried a 10 blade fan I got for 23.00 brand new and that thing fit HORRIBLE vs the 9 blade Dorman unit.

My findings are that the Torq Flo and the 9 blade cool the best, but it does drag the motor down at slow speeds and the belt will squeal at 3500 + RPM's. The Hayden 2793 and 9 blade cool better than my OEM setup, and it doesn't drag the motor down at slower speeds like the Torq Flo or squeal the belt. I was going to slap the 10 blade fan on the Torq Flo clutch to see if it would maybe stop it from squealing, but it fit so bad on the Hayden 2793 that I didn't even bother testing that combo.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #463
c69ss396
Just me...

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I went with a early 2000 explorer fan 14 blade, It helped alittle at idle but overall it wasn't worth the swap.
c69ss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #464
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think any fan after 10 blade is overkill and the fan isn't going to spin fast enough to draw enough airflow through the radiator. The 10 blade sat way to far back and wasn't in the shroud far enough. My OEM setup with a MML was better than the 10 blade, but the 9 blade sits perfect and that's why I think I'm getting the better cooling from a 9 blade vs the 10.
Unread 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #465
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

with 2793 Hayden severe duty clutch and Dorman 9 blade fan in hot (>110*F) and humid UAE climate:

- idling with AC on is leading to > 230*F and rising if left alone
- from 1500 rpm and up the clutch fan combo is delivering better results than the stock setup ... temp stays below 211*F ... fluctuating between 206 and 211
- I have no noticeable additional drag on the engine
- no belt squeal above 3500 rpms ... YET? (stock belt!)
- no roaring noise ... even with higher rpms and hot engine

so Unlimited04's results are repeatable! (I had my fan clutch combo already ordered and on the way when he published his results ... so I had to redo the experiment as well )
and to some extent (noise and drag) Best4x4's results as well!

The next optimization worth looking at:
smaller pulley ? (here I need support ... ... where to get the pulley from? do I need a shorter belt? )
because I actually like the combo ... if only the idle weakness can be eliminated!

btw : I noticed the 9 blade fan is NOT blowing the air backwards to the engine and over the AC lines (I read s.th. about here somewhere??) ... the air is blown radially from the "perimeter of the circle" ... NORMAL?
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 blade , 5 blade , 9 blade , cooling , explorer , fan blade , Fan clutch , ford , upgrade

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.