TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #31
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like the fan is about an inch bigger also? Might have to check clearance if you have a MML?

Unread 07-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #32
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winners97TJ View Post
So are there any cheap options for the 97's that anyone knows of?
I like A-Zones parts look up. They have great pics of every part.

The 86 Mustang with a v8 uses the same fan as the 93 Explorer but with a bolt on fan clutch..........I bet it will work.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #33
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
I never touched my fan shroud. It's tight but the fans will slide in and out with the right angle of the dangle. You may need to grab 4 small bolts to bolt the ford fan onto the ford fan clutch. You cant use the jeep bolts.

Ford bolts are a very common 6x1mm I believe. They use a 10mm socket to tighten and remove them.
One last question Chris, did you bolt the clutch to the fan then slide it in as a whole unit, or attach the clutch to the water pump then slide the fan in and attach? My boys are on the way home with the parts so this is going to happen tonight.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #34
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
It looks like the fan is about an inch bigger also? Might have to check clearance if you have a MML?
The one I bought is about 3/8 inch smaller than the Jeep fan
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #35
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh no, I do have one. Hope it fits.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #36
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled the fan and clutch out as an assy and back in as an assy. Never thought about taking them out seperatly.
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #37
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The one I bought is about 3/8 inch smaller than the Jeep fan
Cool. I was comparing the info on NAPA's part look up. It showed the Ford fan at 7.23" and the Jeep fan at 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Oh no, I do have one. Hope it fits.
I know my fan is kinda tight after my tummy tuck. I hate moving the shroud around
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #38
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cool. I was comparing the info on NAPA's part look up. It showed the Ford fan at 7.23" and the Jeep fan at 6"

I believe that is the diameter of the fan clutch. Both fans ar 18 inch + or- a smidgen. If the Jeep fan fits the Ford fan will.

My Jeep is all stock so we will see how you guys with MML and dropped transfercases fare.
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #39
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I believe that is the diameter of the fan clutch. Both fans ar 18 inch + or- a smidgen. If the Jeep fan fits the Ford fan will.

My Jeep is all stock so we will see how you guys with MML and dropped transfercases fare.
Yeah you are right. I hate slow internet connections at work.
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #40
ChrisThoms
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Any idea if this Ford clutch would be enough for the Jeep 7 blade fan? I was fortunate enough to snag a 7 blade (with a HD clutch) a few years ago. Now my only fear is the ability to replace that clutch when the current one wears out.
ChrisThoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #41
ftgiles

Chris,

Since you work at an A/C shop you could provide some cool facts for us.

Run both the stock fan setup and the Ford Explorer setup for 15 minutes each. Do it back to back so ambient temps are the same. Run the blower on high with the A/C on. Hook up your A/C system gauges and tell us what the high-side pressure is after the 15 minute tests. If the fan is pulling more air and cooling better then the pressure should drop showing that increased cooling.

Couple the pressure differences with a therometer reading stuck in the center duct would be very interesting.

There is a lot more to fans than just blade count. Pitch also plays a big role. It also depends on how far the pitch goes down the blade as the blade approaches the center or if the pitch is variable along the blade. The center is turning slower than the outside which creates turbulence or not depending on the pitch.

More blades and a curved tip are usually to decrease noise and more blades usually require more energy to spin them.
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #42
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
Chris,

Since you work at an A/C shop you could provide some cool facts for us.

Run both the stock fan setup and the Ford Explorer setup for 15 minutes each. Do it back to back so ambient temps are the same. Run the blower on high with the A/C on. Hook up your A/C system gauges and tell us what the high-side pressure is after the 15 minute tests. If the fan is pulling more air and cooling better then the pressure should drop showing that increased cooling.

Couple the pressure differences with a therometer reading stuck in the center duct would be very interesting.

There is a lot more to fans than just blade count. Pitch also plays a big role. It also depends on how far the pitch goes down the blade as the blade approaches the center or if the pitch is variable along the blade. The center is turning slower than the outside which creates turbulence or not depending on the pitch.

More blades and a curved tip are usually to decrease noise and more blades usually require more energy to spin them.
It will have to wait till were out of our busy season. Right now Im booked solid for 3 weeks.

I did check the temp out of the ducts. 58 with the stock Jeep fan and bolted clutch and 42 with the Ford fan and clutch @ idle.
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #43
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Another test was an idle test. With the Jeep fan it would hit 230F if left idling a while. It was 105F the day I put the Ford parts on it. I let it idle with the AC on for 45 minutes. My mechanical guage and code reader both showed 207 after 45 min.
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #44
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Another test was an idle test. With the Jeep fan it would hit 230F if left idling a while. It was 105F the day I put the Ford parts on it. I let it idle with the AC on for 45 minutes. My mechanical guage and code reader both showed 207 after 45 min.
yup, my jeep would be overheating at that point. going to the junkyard tomorrow.

what size wrenches did you need to pull this off the Ford?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #45
cyber1satan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did the explorer fan put any more load on the engine cruising down the highway, or does it feel the same as the factory fan? Just curious how much this might hurt the already poor fuel milege haha
cyber1satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 blade , 5 blade , 9 blade , cooling , explorer , fan blade , Fan clutch , ford , upgrade

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.