TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #406
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4life

yeah, and e=mc^2 is pretty darn simple too. Now use it and go build a nuclear warhead.

There is more to it than just determining open/closed loop ....
I'm not sure why you are thinking it's so complicated. The operation of the fan clutch needs nothing more than an input of temperature. You could literally wire an electric clutch just like an electric fan.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #407
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hold on now guys... from fans and clutches to nuclear warheads.... where have I been last couple of days.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #408
hamsterwheelTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I read/skimmed most of this thread & didn't see this answered. I got a fan/clutch from the junkyard & after I got it home realized it was from a '95 or '96 explorer. Manufacture date is 7/95. It also has 12 blades. Anybody know if this will work?

altho sometimes when you install a lift kit, it is possible to reallocate the flux capacitor to a more suitable location, such as in the glove box. Or alternatively you can buy a skid guard for it
hamsterwheelTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #409
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If it's an 18 inch fan and it has the proper clutch for a 12 blade fan I'd say slap it on there and see what you're results are. I'm very happy with my 9 blade fan and Hayden 2793 clutch.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #410
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'd typed up a whole big write up of my thoughts after running Explorer fan + 2793 vs stock 5-blade + 2791 in all sorts of different driving conditions....but the damn forum kicked me off, and I lost everything.

anyway bottom line is the 2791 wasn't any different than the stock clutch. the explorer fan + 2793 worked better above 1300rpms, but worse when idling. i'll try to get the energy to retype everything again
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #411
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I'd typed up a whole big write up of my thoughts after running Explorer fan + 2793 vs stock 5-blade + 2791 in all sorts of different driving conditions....but the damn forum kicked me off, and I lost everything.

anyway bottom line is the 2791 wasn't any different than the stock clutch. the explorer fan + 2793 worked better above 1300rpms, but worse when idling. i'll try to get the energy to retype everything again
Your Jeep wants to run at 220*... get used to it. BTDT... and found that the stock fan and clutch in perfect working condition worked best.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #412
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
Your Jeep wants to run at 220*... get used to it. BTDT... and found that the stock fan and clutch in perfect working condition worked best.
thats just the thing....my stock clutch and fan don't keep up with the A/C on. Holding 220-225° climbing a pass, pulling a 2000lb trailer with the A/C on I would understand. But on a hot day (90-100°), when the A/C is on in heavy traffic going under 20mph...temps go past 220°...and will keep climbing to 260°+, if I don't turn off the A/C when I see it get to 225-230°. It's only an issue when I run A/C for long periods of time idling on a hot day. luckily I don't do that often at all, especially with the soft top, but it still sucks that the Jeep ain't right.

when I'm wheeling, i'm usually above 1300rpms...since torque converter stall is ~2000rpms. so wheeling, it stays nice and cool cause the fan's moving. With the Explorer fan and 2793 clutch...runs 198-202° all day long, and the tranny runs around 160°
Unread 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #413
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Still very happy with my 9 blade fan and Hayden 2793 fan clutch. I've been all over the place, in traffic, cruising, and sitting at idle and my temps are cooler across the entire range of driving. I did find an online retailer that sells the 10 blade replacement fan blade for 23.00. I might give it a shot for that cheap and see if there truly is a difference between a 9 and 10 blade fan.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #414
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Unlimited04, I wonder if there could be an issue with your A/C compressor? Pulling hard and overworking the engine or something.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #415
pumpman55
2006 TJ Wrangler 

unlimited04 those trans temps sound real good. are you getting your temps from the output or input of trans?
pumpman55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #416
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
Unlimited04, I wonder if there could be an issue with your A/C compressor? Pulling hard and overworking the engine or something.
i doubt it...personally, i think the 2 mini-cats play a roll in heat soaking the engine compartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpman55 View Post
unlimited04 those trans temps sound real good. are you getting your temps from the output or input of trans?
my temp gauge is on the hot side output line of the tranny. i don't see much sense in monitoring the cold line...
Unread 08-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #417
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i doubt it...personally, i think the 2 mini-cats play a roll in heat soaking the engine compartment.

my temp gauge is on the hot side output line of the tranny. i don't see much sense in monitoring the cold line...
When you find a good transmission guy, he will tell you to monitor the trans temp by placing the sender in the oil pan.

I've had this very discussion with two of the premium trans builders in this part of the world and both say the same thing. The only thing you care about is how hot the trans is or isn't.

The good news is I had to go rescue a rig today on the trailer and the temps are a bit on the toasty side. The trans in the tow rig got up to 180°.
Unread 08-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #418
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You're probably right. It's just that from what I've read of your overheating troubles, it seems you've tried everything else.

Mine's running hotter than I'd like as well on the mail route. In town, where my stops are one right after another, it gets up to 215° to 220° with the A/C on but more like 212° when I'm moving pretty good. If I have to sit at idle for very long I don't even think about leaving the A/C on. Did that one day for about 10 min or so and it got up almost in the red. I immediately turned the heater on full, started driving and it cooled right down fortunately.

I'm just using the factory temp gauge, (seems I read you're going by the scangaugeII or something) so I'm not sure if my temps are right on or not.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #419
780406jeeper
2004 WJ 

I accidentally picked up an extra brand new Four Seasons 10-blade fan from ebay that I am not able to return. If anyone is interested in it, pm me. Thanks,
Kevin
Unread 08-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #420
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4life View Post
As far as I know, most of those types of clutches are also tied to the computer module as well, in order to monitor open/closed loop situations and the temps ... I think making one for the TJ would be very tricky....
You guys are thinking too hard! The early model fan clutches simply had one or two 12v+ inputs, one for high and one for low (or just one for on) and a ground, and then one or two computer signal outputs.

You would ignore the ouput wires completely. You would chassis ground the ground. You would use appropriate temperature switches or one temp switch and a relay tied into the AC compressor activation circuit (or a combo of the two) to feed the two inputs.

The only differences are that some have an ignition switched hot and the control circuits are switched ground circuits. But that only changes things slightly.

I just haven't felt like doing the research. You would first have to find a clutch with appropriate dimmensions. Then you would have to make sure it wasn't a failure prone model (some of the early electrics were). And then you would have to get a hold of the schematics for the system.

None of this is to say that it would work any better that the factory set up. i just think it would be nice to have the air moving capabilities of a engine driven fan and be able to dissengage it for water crossings.

I really don't think there's really anything major wrong with the design of the cooling system. I think the most of the people that are having over heating issues have a hidden problem. Not a small number of them are probably due to people who fill their radiators with tap water and never clean out the cooling fins of their radiators. But, what do I know?

BTW - This thread has been painful to follow!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
10 blade , 5 blade , 9 blade , cooling , explorer , fan blade , Fan clutch , ford , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.