TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ radiator fan upgrade info.......2000-2006 TJ

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 07-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #301
ftgiles

Unlimited04 - Maybe you could benefit from a high-altitude tune. Running lean is definitely hotter. Check into the Unichip piggyback controller. That, a wideband O2 sensor and a laptop.

Necko2529 - Nobody will believe you that it was 118F. LOL, but hey only 110F today.

ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #302
Necko2529
Surfing JF Since '04

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's hard to believe but its realy hot and I don't mind it....

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #303
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
Unlimited04 - Maybe you could benefit from a high-altitude tune. Running lean is definitely hotter. Check into the Unichip piggyback controller. That, a wideband O2 sensor and a laptop.
I have a Unichip-Q installed now...its turned off since the tune is wrong for my Jeep...hmmm.....interesting idea.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #304
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04

i have hood vents, but haven't found the balls to cut big holes in the hood yet.
I got a pair, I will cut up anything. You will see good results with venting the hot air out.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #305
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I got a pair, I will cut up anything. You will see good results with venting the hot air out.
I saw your build thread and hood/fenders - you do awesome body work...any plans to come to Colorado soon? Theres beer and pizza in it for ya!
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #306
TXSHNTR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Awsome info Chris. Maybe I can get lucky and it will help the heat soak problem a little.
TXSHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #307
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

From what I have seen of some water pumps getting changed lately it wouldn't hurt to throw a new pump on if yours has some age to it. Most have an impeller that has been eaten way so badly I have no clue how it worked at all . Its probably from age and not using distilled water but its cheap insurance to just to be sure you are not modding the clutch and fan and over looking a key component being its not leaking. I am amazed at what I have seen lately inside of 4.0s water pumps
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #308
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I drove my wife into town today in the TJ and I still have great results with this mod. The clutch is staying locked up until about 30-40MPH and then it disengages. There is no drag at highway speeds so overall highway MPG shouldn't be effected. I could see the city driving causing some MPG loss due to the clutch staying locked up at slower speeds, but city driving = lower MPG anyways.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #309
TheSlowDown
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
if you can find a TSB 7-blade and associated fan clutch, please let me know where.

they were discontinued a few years back, and not a single dealership in the world has one in stock. I had my local dealer check extensively.
I have brand new sealed in box OEM TSB Fan Clutches in my possession. At peak they were going for $194.

If anyone wants one, PM me & we can set up a transaction via Paypal or Amazon.com. Let's call it $115 + whatever the flat rate shipping box costs in the US. First come, first serve. Sound reasonable?

Why get this OEM TSB Fan Clutch - from the bulletin below:

========
NOTE :INFORM THE CUSTOMER THAT THE REVISED FAN AND FAN DRIVE WILL
CREATE HIGHER SOUND LEVELS FOR A MINUTE OR SO AFTER A COLD ENGINE
START, AND DURING HIGH ENGINE TEMPERATURE CONDITIONS.
**THE FAN WILL RUN MORE OFTEN BECAUSE THE FAN CLUTCH WILL NOW ENGAGE AT LOWER TEMPERATURES.**
========

I do not have any 7 blade fans (although with enough interest my family would be willing to make some - I spoke to them yesterday - see my other post). They laughed at me about how easy it would be from a technical perspective.
TheSlowDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #310
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlowDown View Post
I have brand new sealed in box OEM TSB Fan Clutches in my possession. At peak they were going for $194.

If anyone wants one, PM me & we can set up a transaction via Paypal or Amazon.com. Let's call it $115 + whatever the flat rate shipping box costs in the US. First come, first serve. Sound reasonable?

Why get this OEM TSB Fan Clutch - from the bulletin below:

========
NOTE :INFORM THE CUSTOMER THAT THE REVISED FAN AND FAN DRIVE WILL
CREATE HIGHER SOUND LEVELS FOR A MINUTE OR SO AFTER A COLD ENGINE
START, AND DURING HIGH ENGINE TEMPERATURE CONDITIONS.
**THE FAN WILL RUN MORE OFTEN BECAUSE THE FAN CLUTCH WILL NOW ENGAGE AT LOWER TEMPERATURES.**
========

I do not have any 7 blade fans (although with enough interest my family would be willing to make some - I spoke to them yesterday - see my other post). They laughed at me about how easy it would be from a technical perspective.
well the TSB fan clutch doesn't do much good without the 7-blade TSB fan its supposed to drive...

start making some 7-blade fans identical to the TSB fan's and i bet you'll sell a bunch. i think mrblaine was trying to locate a manufacturer willing to take it on....
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #311
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I found a 6 blade fan from Flex a lite 5900 series 5918 that should bolt up to the ford fan clutches, but I think I'm going to stick with the 9 blade plastic one.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #312
TheSlowDown
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well the TSB fan clutch doesn't do much good without the 7-blade TSB fan its supposed to drive...

start making some 7-blade fans identical to the TSB fan's and i bet you'll sell a bunch. i think mrblaine was trying to locate a manufacturer willing to take it on....
I need to do some due diligence. I also need a 7 blade fan in good condition as a specimen if anyone is willing to part ways with theirs for 2 months. I have the OEM TSB fan clutches but would need to figure out how many more I could get from the manufacturer.

In terms of the fan itself, it would be identical to the limit allowed by licensing/lapse in IP/whatever. I don't think I would want a plastic fan in a Jeep but that's just me.

My only concern is timing. Even under the best scenario ( example: customs is a **(#&^* to deal with - they want money for nothing at every corner ) these fans would not be able to ship out to US based customers until November/December this year. So not exactly the peak of heat-related issues.

If everything works out legally, financially, logistically, et cetera I would probably set up a pre-order system. If I meet the minimum required pre-order # to make it all work I would ask for a deposit & basically turn the factory on and get cranking.
Unread 07-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #313
Border Dave
Got Sand?
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have brand new sealed in box OEM TSB Fan Clutches in my possession.
How many do you have and where did you get them from?
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #314
TheSlowDown
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
How many do you have and where did you get them from?
I have a couple of the OEM TSB fan clutches on hand. I have access to about 50 more. Unfortunately, once those 50 are gone they are gone. This part is also discontinued (I just confirmed on the phone).

Unlimited 04: Quick math tells me I need to fill at least a 20 ft shipping container with the 7 blade OEM fans for this small project to be successful. That is about 220 - 250 fans. The more fans ordered, the lower the cost for each fan I could offer. I would have to do it in 20 or 40 ft container allotments however.

Coupled with the Hayden Severe Duty fan clutch (NOT the Hayden Heavy Duty or Standard Duty) the 7 blade fan should be a solid solution (except for 50 people who could potentially get the OEM TSB fan clutch).

So, does the 7-blade OE TSB fan sound interesting to 250 people out there?

If so I'll open a new thread dedicated to this potential project. Don't want to clog this one up any further.
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #315
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a couple of the OEM TSB fan clutches on hand. I have access to about 50 more. Unfortunately, once those 50 are gone they are gone. This part is also discontinued (I just confirmed on the phone).

Unlimited 04: Quick math tells me I need to fill at least a 20 ft shipping container with the 7 blade OEM fans for this small project to be successful. That is about 220 - 250 fans. The more fans ordered, the lower the cost for each fan I could offer. I would have to do it in 20 or 40 ft container allotments however.

Coupled with the Hayden Severe Duty fan clutch (NOT the Hayden Heavy Duty or Standard Duty) the 7 blade fan should be a solid solution (except for 50 people who could potentially get the OEM TSB fan clutch).

So, does the 7-blade OE TSB fan sound interesting to 250 people out there?

If so I'll open a new thread dedicated to this potential project. Don't want to clog this one up any further.
Problem I found with the Severe Duty fan clutch + stock 5-blade is its too much resistance for the tensioner, so the belt ends up slipping & squealing. Tried two different belts (OEM & Gates). It might turn the 7-blade, but if its squealing like a stuffed pig at higher RPMs, it doesn't do much good. Only way to know would be try it....

Tags
10 blade , 5 blade , 9 blade , cooling , explorer , fan blade , Fan clutch , ford , upgrade

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.