TJ power steering box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ power steering box

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 03-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
BFD35
2001 TJ Wrangler 

TJ power steering box

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum. I just picked up a TJ with a 2" lift and 33"BFG's. There is a dead spot in the steering for 11-1 o'clock. I got under it and had a buddy turn the wheel back and forth in the dead spot. The steering column shaft is moving going in to the box, but the pitman arm isn't moving coming out. It seems to me the gears are worn and the box needs to be replaced. I tried adjusting the allen screw on the top, but all that did was make the steering tighter and the Jeep drift across the lane. I just want to make sure this is the problem before I start putting new parts on.
Thanks

BFD35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yep it's your steering gear. Mine was like that. I replaced it with a quality reman gear from PSC and now have zero play.
BYuen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You can also buy a steering gear box that is designed for a '99 Durango 4x4. It is a direct bolt in to your Jeep and has a larger piston in it which helps make it easier to turn larger tires.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

for a temporary fix you can tighten up the steering gear, on top of the gear there is a locking nut and an adjustment screw, loosen the nut, tighten the screw, when snug back it off about 1/8 to a 1/4 turn and tighten down the nut, it isnt a permanent fix but it will help, the steering gear will continue to wear out, but it will increase the drivability until you can get a gear box for it.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD35 View Post
I tried adjusting the allen screw on the top, but all that did was make the steering tighter and the Jeep drift across the lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
for a temporary fix you can tighten up the steering gear, on top of the gear there is a locking nut and an adjustment screw
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
captbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

durango swap

I have a 97 TJ will the direct swap mean my lines and Pitman arm can all be used, ! Thanks
captbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbo
I have a 97 TJ will the direct swap mean my lines and Pitman arm can all be used, ! Thanks
Yes it's a direct swap. You want the steering gear box from a 1998 Durango with the "318" motor I think iirc. I can't remember if it's the snow plow edition or not. Look it up on pirate.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
captbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ell e pressure line out of the pump would not break free of the nut so I twisted the metal part beyond repair another $75. Dang !
captbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.