TJ Passenger Side Water Leak Fixed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Passenger Side Water Leak Fixed

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
rjhinton
2000 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Passenger Side Water Leak Fixed

After a month of rain (13 inches total) I finally had to fix the leak that kept my passenger side carpet soaked. I searched the web for answers and this forum was very helpful. In an effort to pay forward I've documented my repair for all of those who are looking for guidance.

The following photo shows the source of the leak. Debris washes into the crack between the cowling and cowling grill.

Begin by removing the windshield wipers. Pull the wiper away from the windshield and pull the retaining clip down. Then slide the wiper arm off the post.

There are seven screws to remove from the cowling grill. Five on top and two under the hood.

Open the hood and pull back the rubber gasket to reveal the two screws, one on the passenger side and one on the driver side.

Removing the cowling grill will reveal the fresh air intake cover. Debris will build up around this intake cover and form a dam. Water backs up and leaks through foam gasket between the cover and the cowling. Clean out any debris, remove the three screws and lift the cover off.

Remove the foam gasket and clean the gasket seat area on both the cover and the cowling.

Apply a liberal amount of silicone sealant and reinstall.

If you've got a leaky Jeep this repair should take care of the problem. Repair time about 30 minutes.

Aug 3 2011
I've just read through this post, and can see that this repair may not work for everyone. Please keep in mind that in my case, Pine needles and debris were collecting on both sides of the fresh air intake cover, forming a dam. As water continued to flow in from the spot indicated in Pic #1, the debris dam would cause water to backup and leak through the foam gasket. You can kinda see the water line in Pic #5. If you don't see debris on the sides of the fresh air intake, you are probably not having this issue, but you've got to take the cowling off to find out, might as well seal it. I have never (knock on wood) had a plugged center drain. Didn't even know there was a drain. Had I known, I would have taken the time to make sure it was clear. I recommend snaking the drain while you have the cowling off. There are a number of replies in this post that describe that procedure.
Thanks for all your kind acknowledgements.

Last edited by rjhinton; 04-19-2010 at 09:55 AM..
rjhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

awesome write up! now i know what to check if my 2000 TJ gets wet inside.

Blu-Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job.

I added a link to the FAQ for this.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
noise_maker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up. Mine has been doing this for about a year when it rains real hard - I have had that cowl off a couple times trying to find what to do to fix it. Never though of a gasket being there. Thanks for the info
noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Dflores
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good info, thanks.
Dflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
haulincats
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do you reuse the gasket, or just silicone
and throw out the gasket?
Thanks,
Vance
haulincats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
rjhinton
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I removed and discarded the gasket.
rjhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great write up and pictures! I need to do this as my passenger side floor gets real wet when it rains (which is rare around here). I know it gets real wet where you are as I used to visit my Aunt in Center (north-east of you) when I was younger.
Unread 11-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
element54
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great thanks to you sir.
Unread 11-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

I just found this weekend's project. I've been bailing water out of my passenger side for the past couple of weeks and the water is coming from under the dash in precisely this area.

Thanks for the great write up.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not all TJ's have that vent cover under the cowl though. Early 97's like mine did not have that. My cowl had ZERO debris under it (not kept under trees at all) but I did silicon around it since there was a plastic insert that ran down for fresh air.

Also be sure to check around your heater core above the passenger floorboard. If that foamy gasket is wet, you have another leak to address soon. You can fix it via the engine bay (behind the battery).
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Only problem with using silicone is you'll never take it off again.
I would use a better gasket, even double it up, but not 'cone it.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
gabe0430
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dude, excellent post THANKS!!!
gabe0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
fatcop
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If there's ever a need to remove that part, I'm sure a razor blade would easily cut through the silicone. Not like you're putting it back in with cement.
fatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
ptwelve
1998 TJ Wrangler 

so where does the leak come from on the drivers side? (...my problem)

Tags
cowl , water leak

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.