TJ parking brake. I am missing something... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ parking brake. I am missing something...

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 07-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
windkn0t
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TJ parking brake. I am missing something...

Alright, i think i am missing something on the parking brake adjustment.

First, let me state all parts on the rear are new. New parking pads, rotors...

Seated them to the new rotor when i installed them. I adjusted both sides so that they rubbed. Went for a slow drive around the block applying and releasing the parking brake lever to seat them. Then, after the parts cooled, i adjusted the pad adjusters until i could hear them rub, then backed off the adjuster one notch so the did not rub.

Well, lets just say that my brake is not what i expected it to be. i know there is a step i am missing or something i've done wrong. The brake will hold, i just have to yank it all the way up to do so.

I do not think i am supposed to let the rear pads rub, i think doing so would create heat that could ruin the pads or maybe lock something up, right??? Also, i've read that you are not to adjust the lever cable, so i did not touch that.

windkn0t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Where did you read not to adjust the lever cable? I've always adjusted them at the backing plates and then take any slack out of the cable by adjusting it at the lever.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
TJ4Jim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You should adjust the pads until you get some resistance on each wheel, thats it. A little resistance on the pads will not hurt anything and if you have to adjust the cable a bit there is no rule against that. If there was there would be no adjustment available.
TJ4Jim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
windkn0t
2004 TJ Wrangler 

In the FSM it says not to adjust the lever cable. Oh yeah, i have discs on the rear, so my parking brake is the pad inside the hat configuration, not rear drum.
Unread 07-16-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
TJ4Jim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by windkn0t View Post
In the FSM it says not to adjust the lever cable. Oh yeah, i have discs on the rear, so my parking brake is the pad inside the hat configuration, not rear drum.
Your the same as my rear conversion, normally you do not need to adjust the lever cable and so long as you have some resistance on each wheel from the pads, you should be fine. The Jeep police don't usually bother you if the lever cable is adjusted a bit.
Unread 07-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I thought the FSM did provide for cable adjustment when major rebuild work was done and that it was just normal wear and tear type adjustments where it says only to adjust at the wheels.
Unread 07-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
WhiteMtnJeep
It Should Have Been MEG!!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I believe the FSM does state that. Properly adjust the rears as you normally would after brake service. If further adjustment for cable wear/stretch is required there is the ability to correct it.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
windkn0t
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4Jim View Post
Your the same as my rear conversion, normally you do not need to adjust the lever cable and so long as you have some resistance on each wheel from the pads, you should be fine. The Jeep police don't usually bother you if the lever cable is adjusted a bit.

I adjusted until i heard the pads scrub, then adjusted one notch out so they did not scrub. Thought scrubbing was bad and wrong.....
Unread 07-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #9
TJ4Jim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by windkn0t View Post
I adjusted until i heard the pads scrub, then adjusted one notch out so they did not scrub. Thought scrubbing was bad and wrong.....
Backing off is not necessary, you want to adjust until there is light resistance because 10 minutes of driving will mate the surfaces and at that point they will be as close as possible without touching.
Unread 07-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
windkn0t
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Will give it a shot. If only i had the magical calipers the FSM talks about to make those proper and prudent measurements by which all of us shade tree mechanics should be adjusting our brakes with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.