TJ Overhead Console - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 03-03-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Mechamaniac
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 14
TJ Overhead Console

OK, so I want an overhead console for my 04 TJ. I want it more for storage etc than radio/cb mounting so I'm not too wild about the Tuffy unless I can get one on the cheap and mod it. The only other overhead console for TJ's I've seen is this boxy ugly looking thing that looks like it just rolled out of 1985.

Does anyone know of a good looking overhead console, or has anyone made/modded one?

Thanks!!

Mechamaniac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Old 03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
zachman
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 23
I bought a overhead console fromhttp://www.cbrack.com/, the price is about $130.00, It works great for me.
zachman is offline  
post #3 of 37 Old 03-03-2008, 03:21 PM
aussie stu
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Austraila
Posts: 318
i think this would have to be a custom job....i had a look at what was available and i don't like the look nor how they fix to the roll bar.

Its on the to do list.

Black 98 TJ / 4.5" Coils / 1" BL + MML / 4.56 / 35's Silverstones MT-117 on 16 X 8's / D44 & ARB Airlocker / D30 & lockright / Rocklights / wind sheild IPF's / Custom WARN rear tyre carrier / extended brake lines / Custom Triangulated 4 link long arm / Front adj. panard (no rear) / rear storage draw system / OBA / AA SYE / Bestop duster, windjammer, bikini combo / Bushwackers flares / UHF / TBS / Wilderness Rack / 3" stainless steel snorkel / T-Max 9000 6HP winch
aussie stu is offline  
post #4 of 37 Old 03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Gunnison
Registered User
 
Gunnison's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Evergreen
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachman View Post
I bought a overhead console fromhttp://www.cbrack.com/, the price is about $130.00, It works great for me.
Can yoiu post a few photos of this unit installed?

Thanks

02 GC Overland, 4" RCLA, 4.5 Clayton Springs w 3/4spacers in front, Bilstiens, JKS Tracbar, Addco rear sway bar, Proto Fab Hi Clearance bumper, Smitty built 8,000 w/Syn

Previous Jeeps: 57 Willys, 74 J-10, 76 J-20, 80 CJ7, 91 XJ, 97 ZJ, 97 TJ, 00 TJ, 06 LJ Rubicon, 2010 JK Rubicon 4dr.
Gunnison is offline  
post #5 of 37 Old 03-03-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Mechamaniac
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnison View Post
Can yoiu post a few photos of this unit installed?

Thanks
Eek, according to their site, you have to mod the cover and remove the footman loop for this one to work. I want a drop in solution.

http://www.cbrack.com/tj_03_install.htm
Mechamaniac is offline  
post #6 of 37 Old 03-03-2008, 06:23 PM
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too
 
LoneJeeper's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: earth, mostly.
Posts: 2,082
I know you said you weren't interested, but the Tuffy overhead console is sweet. I just installed one, wired up my CB, and there were no issues.

it isn't often you can say that.

There are also no squeaks or rattles. I had questions during the install, and their tech support were very responsive.

if you can swing the coin, go tuffy.

lj

ಠ_ಠ
LoneJeeper is offline  
post #7 of 37 Old 03-03-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Mechamaniac
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper View Post
I know you said you weren't interested, but the Tuffy overhead console is sweet. I just installed one, wired up my CB, and there were no issues.

it isn't often you can say that.

There are also no squeaks or rattles. I had questions during the install, and their tech support were very responsive.

if you can swing the coin, go tuffy.

lj
I was actually looking at the Tuffy if all else fails thinking that if nothing else, it's designed to drop right in, and there's ALOT of open space on the bar so I could always mod it, and have stuff added.
Mechamaniac is offline  
post #8 of 37 Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
BWR
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 513
JUST made one for my JK... not a front to back but a side to side.

No updated/done & painted pics but its in

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/process-fabbed-jk-overhead-consule-526893/
BWR is offline  
post #9 of 37 Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 PM
opiv
Registered User
 
opiv's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: ny
Posts: 1,257
Another vote for Tuffy - the downside is the price but the upside is that it is very secure. I like not having to unplug my GPS when I park.

Get me my tools and beer.
opiv is offline  
post #10 of 37 Old 03-03-2008, 08:53 PM
DevEmp
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 96
Give OTRATTW a look and see what he can build for you.
DevEmp is offline  
post #11 of 37 Old 03-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Roko
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechamaniac View Post
I was actually looking at the Tuffy if all else fails thinking that if nothing else, it's designed to drop right in, and there's ALOT of open space on the bar so I could always mod it, and have stuff added.
Depends which Tuffy you settle with, the single compartment should fit in easily, the double compartment will take some work on an 03+ TJ, but is do-able.

I put the double overhead compartment in my 05 TJ, I basically drilled out the footman loop rivets, filed the holes into squares, then carefully fit in carriage bolts through another hole in the windshield frame, and used those to secure the front. Some trimming of the roll bar padding was done to make it seat nicely. The end result is worth it, IMHO, it's great to leave my CB and satellite radio in there, since now I just have to lock the console and not worry about thieves.

VA7RKO
Roko is offline  
post #12 of 37 Old 03-04-2008, 12:17 AM
BWR
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roko View Post
Depends which Tuffy you settle with, the single compartment should fit in easily, the double compartment will take some work on an 03+ TJ, but is do-able.

I put the double overhead compartment in my 05 TJ, I basically drilled out the footman loop rivets, filed the holes into squares, then carefully fit in carriage bolts through another hole in the windshield frame, and used those to secure the front. Some trimming of the roll bar padding was done to make it seat nicely. The end result is worth it, IMHO, it's great to leave my CB and satellite radio in there, since now I just have to lock the console and not worry about thieves.

PLEASE post a pic of that when you get a chance-- I'd love to see it.
BWR is offline  
post #13 of 37 Old 03-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Roko
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWR View Post
PLEASE post a pic of that when you get a chance-- I'd love to see it.
That'll probably be a while, I'm out of country on business for about another month or so, and sadly separated from my Jeep.

I'll dig around, maybe I have something on this computer....

VA7RKO
Roko is offline  
post #14 of 37 Old 03-04-2008, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Mechamaniac
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 14
Anyone know if the ones from the JK will come close to fitting in a TJ?

Mechamaniac is offline  
post #15 of 37 Old 03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
otrattw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechamaniac View Post
Anyone know if the ones from the JK will come close to fitting in a TJ?

That's a pretty nice looking console.
otrattw is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Best Overhead Console edwards2243 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 04-30-2011 10:43 PM
Overhead Console rtilotta JK Wrangler Technical Forum 0 06-16-2007 07:51 PM
overhead console jeepinMatt YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 6 01-28-2006 08:04 AM
Overhead cb console udamann TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 13 08-16-2004 09:33 PM
OverHead Console Abathur TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 08-01-2004 08:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome