TJ Overhead Console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Overhead Console

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
Mechamaniac
2010 KK Liberty 

TJ Overhead Console

OK, so I want an overhead console for my 04 TJ. I want it more for storage etc than radio/cb mounting so I'm not too wild about the Tuffy unless I can get one on the cheap and mod it. The only other overhead console for TJ's I've seen is this boxy ugly looking thing that looks like it just rolled out of 1985.

Does anyone know of a good looking overhead console, or has anyone made/modded one?

Thanks!!

Mechamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
zachman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a overhead console fromhttp://www.cbrack.com/, the price is about $130.00, It works great for me.
zachman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
aussie stu
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i think this would have to be a custom job....i had a look at what was available and i don't like the look nor how they fix to the roll bar.

Its on the to do list.
[SIZE="1"][B]Black[/B] 98 TJ / 4.5" Coils / 1" BL + MML / 4.56 / 35's Silverstones MT-117 on 16 X 8's / D44 & ARB Airlocker / D30 & lockright / Rocklights / wind sheild IPF's / Custom WARN rear tyre carrier / extended brake lines / Custom Triangulated 4 link long arm / Front adj. panard (no rear) / rear storage draw system / OBA / AA SYE / Bestop duster, windjammer, bikini combo / Bushwackers flares / UHF / TBS / Wilderness Rack / 3" stainless steel snorkel / T-Max 9000 6HP winch[/SIZE]
aussie stu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Gunnison
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachman View Post
I bought a overhead console fromhttp://www.cbrack.com/, the price is about $130.00, It works great for me.
Can yoiu post a few photos of this unit installed?

Thanks

Previous Jeeps: 57 Willys, 74 J-10, 76 J-20, 80 CJ7, 91 XJ, 97 ZJ, 97 TJ, 00 TJ, 06 LJ Rubicon, 2010 JK Rubicon 4dr.
Gunnison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
Mechamaniac
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnison View Post
Can yoiu post a few photos of this unit installed?

Thanks
Eek, according to their site, you have to mod the cover and remove the footman loop for this one to work. I want a drop in solution.

http://www.cbrack.com/tj_03_install.htm
Unread 03-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I know you said you weren't interested, but the Tuffy overhead console is sweet. I just installed one, wired up my CB, and there were no issues.

it isn't often you can say that.

There are also no squeaks or rattles. I had questions during the install, and their tech support were very responsive.

if you can swing the coin, go tuffy.

lj
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
Mechamaniac
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper View Post
I know you said you weren't interested, but the Tuffy overhead console is sweet. I just installed one, wired up my CB, and there were no issues.

it isn't often you can say that.

There are also no squeaks or rattles. I had questions during the install, and their tech support were very responsive.

if you can swing the coin, go tuffy.

lj
I was actually looking at the Tuffy if all else fails thinking that if nothing else, it's designed to drop right in, and there's ALOT of open space on the bar so I could always mod it, and have stuff added.
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

JUST made one for my JK... not a front to back but a side to side.

No updated/done & painted pics but its in

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/process-fabbed-jk-overhead-consule-526893/
BWR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
opiv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Another vote for Tuffy - the downside is the price but the upside is that it is very secure. I like not having to unplug my GPS when I park.
Unread 03-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
DevEmp
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Give OTRATTW a look and see what he can build for you.
DevEmp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #11
Roko
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechamaniac View Post
I was actually looking at the Tuffy if all else fails thinking that if nothing else, it's designed to drop right in, and there's ALOT of open space on the bar so I could always mod it, and have stuff added.
Depends which Tuffy you settle with, the single compartment should fit in easily, the double compartment will take some work on an 03+ TJ, but is do-able.

I put the double overhead compartment in my 05 TJ, I basically drilled out the footman loop rivets, filed the holes into squares, then carefully fit in carriage bolts through another hole in the windshield frame, and used those to secure the front. Some trimming of the roll bar padding was done to make it seat nicely. The end result is worth it, IMHO, it's great to leave my CB and satellite radio in there, since now I just have to lock the console and not worry about thieves.
Unread 03-04-2008, 01:17 AM   #12
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roko View Post
Depends which Tuffy you settle with, the single compartment should fit in easily, the double compartment will take some work on an 03+ TJ, but is do-able.

I put the double overhead compartment in my 05 TJ, I basically drilled out the footman loop rivets, filed the holes into squares, then carefully fit in carriage bolts through another hole in the windshield frame, and used those to secure the front. Some trimming of the roll bar padding was done to make it seat nicely. The end result is worth it, IMHO, it's great to leave my CB and satellite radio in there, since now I just have to lock the console and not worry about thieves.

PLEASE post a pic of that when you get a chance-- I'd love to see it.
BWR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 02:18 AM   #13
Roko
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWR View Post
PLEASE post a pic of that when you get a chance-- I'd love to see it.
That'll probably be a while, I'm out of country on business for about another month or so, and sadly separated from my Jeep.

I'll dig around, maybe I have something on this computer....
Unread 03-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
Mechamaniac
2010 KK Liberty 

Anyone know if the ones from the JK will come close to fitting in a TJ?

Unread 03-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #15
otrattw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechamaniac View Post
Anyone know if the ones from the JK will come close to fitting in a TJ?

That's a pretty nice looking console.
otrattw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.