TJ Morning Start Fine, Idles Fine, Second start requires throttle to start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Morning Start Fine, Idles Fine, Second start requires throttle to start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
s4ms0n
1999 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Morning Start Fine, Idles Fine, Second start requires throttle to start

Ok, I have researched the forums for a few days and have tried a few fixes for the issue I am experiencing i.e. cleaned throttle bottle, cleaned IAC, and then replaced IAC. The issue I am experiencing is a little different than most posts I see here. Let me explain.

I have a 99 TJ, 4.0L I6 w/ 110,000 miles

The issue is this:

1) First start in the morning is great, it starts right up
2) After letting the car sit in the parking lot for 9-10 hours at work, it starts right up
3) After starting the engine, it idles fine
4) During a second start, such as starting the engine anytime after the first start up to 3 to 4 hours later, it cranks but doesn't start unless throttle is applied. It doesn't take much throttle, maybe 25 to 50%. Before cleaning the throttle body it took closer to 75% throttle to get it started. After it is started the engine idles fine. If I throttle it up to 2000-3000rpm, engine speed does tend to slowly drop after lifting off the throttle for about 2-3 seconds, like it's hanging a bit.

I don't have any codes, so I didn't suspect the TPS. For the throttle body cleanup, I used CRC for throttle body to thoroughly clean the throttle valve. I sprayed the IAC channels, but couldnt thoroughly scrub them clean. I reinstalled the throttle body and used about 1/4 of the can to spray into the IAC air intake with the engine running as I seen some people recommend.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

s4ms0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
hoyabob2003

If you want to really get the ICV clean, you have to actually remove it from the TB. 2 torx bolts will get it off. They are a little tough as they are coated with red loctite. Once it's off you can clean all the passages in the TB and the ICV itself. I'd try that as your next step. Remember to put red loctite on there when you reassemble. Good luck.
hoyabob2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
s4ms0n
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try cleaning it more thoroughly. I was wondering if the remaining residue in this channel could cause this even though there is airflow. Thanks.
Unread 11-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
radsavage2000tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

On the second start, does the engine act flooded? You may have a faulty fuel pressure regulator. A faulty regulator will allow fuel vapors to enter the engine after shut off and cause delayed starts when engine has been recently shut off (3-4 hrs). Setting 8-10 hrs is enough time for vapors to dissipate so you get an easy start. After shut off disconnect the vac line that runs from regulator to engine off of the engine side and smell of it, if it smells like gas or drips gas then that could be the problem.
radsavage2000tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
s4ms0n
1999 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE: Thanks radsavage and hoyabob for your advice. Last week I ordered the parts to replace the CCV and breather and seals. I replaced them today and this fixed the issue.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.