TJ mileage, 4.0L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ mileage, 4.0L

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

TJ mileage, 4.0L

Looking at some TJs, all with the 4.0L and Im curious at what point should i become nervous about the miles on them, the 3 Im looking at have between 99,000 to 119,000 miles, the one i really like has 103,000 miles. From what i read 100,000 is no big deal for a 4.0L, is this a safe assumption? I know it all hinges on how the last person maintained it, but i have no way of knowing that, all three vehicles are at dealers. Thank you,
Craig

monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

200,000 and up.Look underneath them to see if they were beat up offroad.I sold my first Jeep with 196,000 miles on it and I never had a problem with it.My neighbor still drives it and loves it.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
cidd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Id be more worried about the frame rusting out than the motor going bad . When I was looking for jeeps I found 2 that looked great and had low miles then I climbed under them and saw the frames where about shot ! 1 was rusted thru behind the rear wheel . Like boogie said get under it and give it a good look over check everything and even poke around the frame if it looks rust bad or you see any holes in it walk there are pleanty of good ones out there. remember theres an a$$ hole for every seat ! dont be one
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought one with 87,000 on it and the engine looks as good as the day it came out of the factory. It all has to do with maintenance. A good, thorough look-over should reveal any problems. You know what you're looking for, but here's some advice: take a mechanically-savvy buddy with you that has no vested interest in you buying any particular Jeep. Two sets of eyes are better than one, and your friend won't be suffering the excitement that gets people when they're buying a new ride...so they're going to catch more than you will, guaranteed. If the Jeep passes inspection, don't worry about the mileage.

About the miles: A friend of mine (same one that went with me to look over my newest Jeep) and I had jobs back in high school, working for an off-road shop, tearing down AMC 4.2's and 4.0's...I can promise you that maintenance makes a difference. You could tell which engines had been neglected, because they had seventy or eighty thousand miles on them and they were trashed. Also, you could look at engines that came from wrecked vehicles that had three or four hundred thousand miles on them, and were in excellent shape. It's all about how it's been maintained.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

As said above, rust is more important than mileage. TJ's are getting old, but not as old as Cherokees :P

200k off a well maintained Inline Six(4.0 liter) is easy to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
kevin A Whitler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your in NY, rust, rust, rust.....Look for a jeep from a southern state if you can...

Motor will last longer than the frame where you are at.

I have 216,000 miles on my original motor.
kevin A Whitler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.