TJ Maintenance Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Maintenance Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Maintenance Questions

I know it is general.

I have the head off of my 2.5 l and am getting it reworked. Figured at 100,000 miles while I had it off just as well get a regrind. While I am waiting,,, Shop is slow, I was combing over some things on the jeep that needed fixed and got to wondering if water pumps comonly go out on these motors?

Just thinking now is the time to replace it with radiator out (putting in a new coper one that dosent have that pesky seal to leak) Shroud out of the way and pretty much everything but the fan out of the way,, but I dont know anyone who has had to put one on one of thes motors.

Also wondering what else I should do this deep in the motor? It is getting a new exaust manifold, wondering about fuel injectors and the like but they are so easy to get to that that seems silly. I will do a new thermostat for sure,,,

Anything else?

Unread 08-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd do the H2O pump. Mine was pretty ugly at 130,000.
I'd also think about a new radiator.... without plastic ends, all new hoses and new serpentine belt.

What all is being done to head?

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
I know it is general.

I have the head off of my 2.5 l and am getting it reworked. Figured at 100,000 miles while I had it off just as well get a regrind. While I am waiting,,, Shop is slow, I was combing over some things on the jeep that needed fixed and got to wondering if water pumps comonly go out on these motors?

Just thinking now is the time to replace it with radiator out (putting in a new coper one that dosent have that pesky seal to leak) Shroud out of the way and pretty much everything but the fan out of the way,, but I dont know anyone who has had to put one on one of thes motors.

Also wondering what else I should do this deep in the motor? It is getting a new exaust manifold, wondering about fuel injectors and the like but they are so easy to get to that that seems silly. I will do a new thermostat for sure,,,

Anything else?
How many times did you replace the radiator due to that pesky seal in the 100,000 miles?
Unread 08-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

While the OP has 100K miles on his radiator in 13 years, a lot of people put that many on in less than six. If the stock radiator is supposed to be replaced every six years, then I'd say at the least it is a "pesky seal".
Unread 08-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
wrangler1977
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yea on my yj 4 cyl the h20 pump went out at 115,000 or so miles. I would change it and the related parts, if you haven't changed hoses in a while.
wrangler1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is the second radiator and it has been recrimped twice. First one started leaking at about 40,000, Regardless the copper brass one has been sitting in the shop for over 2 years since the last crimp job. Not saying they are terrible but in 100,000+ miles it has been a regular problem.

I am warming up to the water pump. it is just too easy to do right now. The hoses are a definate.
Unread 08-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

I would change the timeing chain and gears and look at the cam,lifters!
tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1 View Post
I would change the timeing chain and gears and look at the cam,lifters!
WOW! I'm new around here and interested in learning.
Off the top of my head, timing chain and cam, at 100,000 miles, sounds like major overkill.
Any serious reasons for considering all that extra work?

RJ
Unread 08-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rowj
Just reread your post

They are going to check everything and repair/replace whatever is needed. I told him I didnt want to mess with it for another 100,000 miles. For sure valve grind, new guides if needed, new seals, new freeze plugs, decking if needed, that was all we talked about... If I can ever get it back I will be happy. they have had it a week now and as of yesterday it is sitting in the same spot I dropped it off at.
Unread 08-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
Rowj....... If I can ever get it back I will be happy. they have had it a week now and as of yesterday it is sitting in the same spot I dropped it off at.
Yup! Just have to be patient!
My guy is very good... and reasonable, even in this area which tends to be less than bigger cities.
But it sat for two weeks before it moved .... than done in one day - cleaned, pressure tested, decked, new valve inserts with 5 angle cut and new plugs!

RJ

Tags
maintenance , radiator , water pump , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.