TJ LS1 engine Q&A - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ LS1 engine Q&A

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Staggito
2003 TJ Wrangler 

TJ LS1 engine Q&A

Hello fellow jeepers!

I need some questions answered and some advice. I am putting a lot of thought into installing an LS1 into my jeep. I have been considering this for quite some time now and have done a lot of research on the topic. My heart is pretty set on the LS1 because itís a great high performance engine, light weight, reliable and can put out quite a bit of power. HAHA, and better gas mileage than the stock 4.0L. My end goal is to build it up to crawl over anything and be able to take on 4X Diamond trails. For now, it is my daily driver. Here are some questions that I could really use some advice about.

Q1- What is a good manual transmission to mount behind the LS1 for all around off road use that can handle the torque?

Q2- Would the stock transfer case be ok to leave in or should I upgrade to something beefier like new output shafts or a new transfer case all together?

Q3- I would like to find a wrecked car with an LS1, tear it out, and take it apart so that I can rebuild it from the block up to include the engine wiring harness. What are some things that I should replace? E.g. what would be a good cam shaft / crank shaft to put in?

- I would love to hear Pros/Cons as well as any opinion you have on the subject.

Itís not like I am going to start this tomorrow but maybe over the next few years. $$$$$ I will always update this thread to let you all know how it goes and I will post pictures as well.
Anyone who has already done this engine swap I would love to talk to you and pick your brain a bit.

Unread 05-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Some info for yea!

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/tj_swap.htm
JWebber is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

while I ended up with a 5.0 ford because I already had it, during my research, I found that the easiest swap is the dodge 5.2/5.7, with the right mix of parts you can mate the jeep tranny, and the computers are very similar and the easiest to modify to work together. and this is coming from a die hard old time chevy guy.
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

cool ... did you start collecting parts?

I am beyond the point of no return with my LS1 swap as well (spent already some $$$ ... ALL parts here ) ... but unlike you I am going LS1/4L60E.
And it will be a mild "stock" LS1 (except headers, exhaust and air intake) ... because it will continue being a DD(!) and weekend dune toy.

You have done some research you said
So ... you know about Novak's online resources and the huge pirate4x4 5.3 swap thread ... (the LS1 and the 5.3 differ only internally and in weight ... but you know that too) ... at pirate pretty much everything is covered!

If you are going for a serious power increase on the LS1, then the NV3550 is eventually out of the game... but Novak says it is ok. (and has the adapter)
They have under "Knowledge" a whole list of possible and recommended native and non native manual transmissions for the Gen III in their tech.

The Borg Warner Tremec 56 (T-56) has been used ALOT in LS1 manual configurations in production cars (Camaro Z28 and the australian performance Holden's) and swaps.
BUT the T56 is big ... too long for a TJ to retain some rear driveshaft without a major chassis stretch and without lifting/modifying the tub some.
(and you will need to do some shifter relocation)
(There is somewhere a V8/T56 swap build thread into a JK ... google session)

so ... power LS1 and manual in a TJ is a challenging project ... good luck!

(I would consider a beefed up 4L65E with a manual valve body much less hassle and instant shifts on your request)

(oh ... and to the mopar fans: 5.2/5.9 swap are only "easy" on older TJs! on newer TJs you end up back porting dash and evap to the older Jeeps!)
2004+ TJ's are Hemi friendly ...
2003 not sure ... ask backwoods offroad!
but the biggest PIA in everything Mopar is the right SKIM less PCM ... and the still undecrypted chrysler boxes )
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Terdar
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, there has never been a production T56 that'll mate to a transfer case. Closest thing would be a divorced transfer case, but as he said.. the T56 is too long already.

I think an NV4500 is your best bet.
Terdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

I used the huge Pirate 5.0 thread, but the most help came from right here on JF. I'm just saying that if I had a choice, I would have gone with the dodge for simplicity, but like you, I had to work with what I had.

I just realized that I wasn't responding to the OP, but my statements stand anyways.
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Q: what are the best LS1 equipped chevys to look for that have the ls1 and 4l60e?
mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terdar View Post
Unfortunately, there has never been a production T56 that'll mate to a transfer case. Closest thing would be a divorced transfer case, but as he said.. the T56 is too long already.

I think an NV4500 is your best bet.
interesting read in this regard:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/nv...nv4500-885280/
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
Q: what are the best LS1 equipped chevys to look for that have the ls1 and 4l60e?
Camaro Z28 ... Corvette C5 ... a whole bunch of Holdens (Chevy Australia!)

In the Middle East we are in the lucky situation to choose between Holden Statesman WH (Chevy Caprice) and Holden Monaro (Chevy Lumina) in addition to the Z28 and C5.
LS1 (5.7) are cheaper here than LM7, L33 (5.3)! (got my complete(!) 2001 donor Caprice with 45k miles still registered and accident free for less than 3000$ ... to be parted out of course )

If I were in the US I would go LM7 5.3 ... nearly same aftermarket power add ons and only 60 lbs heavier bc of iron block than LS1 (still 40 lbs lighter than 4.0!)
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Unless a serious deal drops in your lap, a LM7 with cam and head swap is a much cheaper way to go.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
Terdar
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post

That is a good read. Just something to think about when gearing and driving the Jeep.

I have the NSG370, so my first gear is 4.46:1, combined with 4.10 gears and 31 tires, I can relate. I simply drive it like a 5 speed, starting in second all the time.

Personally, I'd get a 4.8/5.3 and put a cam into it (also, put 4.8 pistons in the 5.3 if I went that route). That is plenty of power for my Jeep.
Terdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

NV4500 would be a good transmission to check out. Basically indestructible and a 5 speed. The only problem is either hacking up your tub or a big body lift because it is so tall
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
Staggito
2003 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the qick replies gents. i will check out everything youve posted and try to get back with some of you while im screwing off at work tomorrow.
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #14
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I spent 3 hours this morning reading Novak's site and learning about the Gen 3 GM swaps. I then went to fleabay and found that for less than $2k you can get a low mile LM7 mated to a 4L60E with all electronics and necessary stuff out of the donor. From there, buy everything needed from Novak, have them merge the harnesses and reprogram the box and you're set.

Their info is so well written that it has convinced this shade tree mechanic that even I could pull off this swap.

Question for the OP: why are you considering the LS1 when horse power is marginally better than the LM7, but the LM7, being a truck motor, has better torque numbers? The LM7 is much cheaper, from what I've seen.
mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
Staggito
2003 TJ Wrangler 

hey gents, i had a lot going on at work this week so sorry for not replying to you.

to MHOPTON: i am truley humbled by the wealth of knowledge here. i hadnt concidered an LM7 because i did not know about it. I knew the GEN III came in aluminum and iron and i would like to go with aluminum because it is more light weight. when i do choose an engine, its going to be from a wreked car or truck. hopefully i dont have to pay for anything over $1000. i bet it is way eayser to find an LM7 from a silverado and build onto that then it is to find a wreked corvett or camaro. i think id steal an intake manifold and some other parts from an LS motor though. i suppose since im going to tear down the engine and re build it from the inside out, then the choice for a block would be simply aluminum or iron. for the transmission, i do know that i do not want an automatic. it must be a manual transmission, so no 4L60E for me.

CHMO: ive looked through NOVAK and they have some awesome write ups. i agree with you that a T56 would be a great MT, if you could fit it in the damn Jeep... everyone on here is throwing out some great ideas for transmissions. i espcially like RYANW10 comment about the NV4500. that would be almost ideal but like he said, its going to require me to lift up the body. how far are you along into your swap? is there any chance you have something on youtube? im sure the rest of us would like to see it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.