TJ locker is crazy. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ locker is crazy.

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
reeksofrezin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed a Spartan locker in my rear D35. It is installed correctly, I swear. Is this supposed to sound like an axle snapping when I turn on the street? I have no carpet and I know it will ratchet but dam. It pops and when it does it makes the rear shake bad. 3-4 times when I turn slow. Not bad when going faster. I have a Detroit in my buggy and I have never heard anything like this from it.
I knew I would feel it in a short TJ but WTF. Will it wear in? Did I just get a lesson on why people get air lockers? Seems like a spool would be better. Or am I just stupid and did something wrong? I don't see how. All went together fine and tested ok. I watched it unlock and lock on both sides with the cover off before the tires ever touched the ground.

reeksofrezin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
pcoplin
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had dual Lockrights for about 2 weeks. On slow turn ins like in a parking lot, it would ratchet front-to-back several times. Banging and clacking. Sucked. Installed a Detroit in the rear and never happened again.

Not saying your isn't messed up, but that was my experience. If there is a bent center section I've heard intermittent lock up problems, but those will likely manifest while going straight also.

Can you have someone drive it who's ran on before?
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There are at least 348,403 posts here on Jeep forum advising against installing any type of locker into a stock Dana 35. There are probablly almost as many posts advising against installing a lunchbox locker into a rear axle because of how poorly most lunchbox lockers behave when installed into a rear axle.

The best advice I can offer, locker behavior-wise, is to apply as little power as possible when turning corners. The best way to turn a corner with a rear automatic locker is with neutral power being applied... neither coasting through nor powering through a corner is best.

My next piece of advice is to carry a spare left and right axle shaft because sooner or later, one of those will break as a result of the new locker.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Keith_C
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeksofrezin View Post
I just installed a Spartan locker in my rear D35. It is installed correctly, I swear. Is this supposed to sound like an axle snapping when I turn on the street? I have no carpet and I know it will ratchet but dam. It pops and when it does it makes the rear shake bad. 3-4 times when I turn slow. Not bad when going faster. I have a Detroit in my buggy and I have never heard anything like this from it.
I knew I would feel it in a short TJ but WTF. Will it wear in? Did I just get a lesson on why people get air lockers? Seems like a spool would be better. Or am I just stupid and did something wrong? I don't see how. All went together fine and tested ok. I watched it unlock and lock on both sides with the cover off before the tires ever touched the ground.
Jerry pretty much covered it.

As far as the buggy comparison.

Do you drive the buggy on the street?
Keith_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
reeksofrezin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

O well. I almost never drive on paved roads anyway. Yea I read all the posts but decided to do anyway. Figured it wouldn't be that bad. I guess I was wrong. I'll keep it till fall I suppose.
I had bought a 99 superduty for the axles for the TJ but wife demanded them for her YJ buggy.
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
2004Unlimited
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My Aussie should be in the next couple days, I'm running the D35. When it gets installed I will report back if I have any banging/clanking issues. I've been in my brothers xj a lot with f/r aussies and hear minimal clicking but then again xj's have more insulation for sound then our wranglers with carpet removed. I've also heard horror stories about the D35 and also heard that it can handle some abuse too. I'm running 31's currently and only do trail riding no rock crawling as I'm in college and have to get the thing paid off before I abuse her to bad. When that time comes and money allows an axle swap will be in short order.
2004Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
reeksofrezin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't drive buggy much on paved roads but I have never heard anything from it. I can live with it if it mellows out some. At this point I have only drove to town and back. About 35 miles.
Unread 02-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Jrama
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have an Aussie in the front axle in my Jeep. I know how they behave, and putting one in the rear of TJ would suck, particularly on winter roads, you would fishtail everywhere.

Put an Aussie upfront and you'd never know its there until your in 4x4, and even then its not bad dd'ing in low traction road conditions (only time you should be using 4x4 anyway) Tight turns on the trail is where having an Aussie generally sucks
Jrama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Get some miles on it and let it break in. It should mello out some.
jim
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Jrama
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmmmm-they don't really mellow out, they are what they are. They don't fit any better or wear in. Mine is the exact same as new, others may have different experiences thats my 2 cents.

The only thing that mellowed out my Aussie was full synthetic gear fluid, noticeable difference in parking lots, on the trail I could swear it was slipping sometimes instead of locking in low traction higher tire speed conditions, but that last one could just be all in my head.
Jrama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Aussie in rear, D35, and it's very smooth even around corners. No broken shafts, I've had it for 3 years. It did have to break in though...maybe the spartans have deeper teeth on the clutches or a more aggressive biting angle so it pops harder. Maybe their springs are stiffer. Either way, I'd go back in and double check your spacing between your clutches again.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
reeksofrezin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Spacing in center was .152 if I remember right. I think it said .140something to .160 something in the book. I'm not at shop right now to check.
I have a lock-rite that I got from someone on here that was for an older D35. The teeth on it are smoother and way less sharp but it may be from wear. The Spartan did seem more aggressive but I didn't really look that much at the teeth. The lock rite has a tiny bit more "slop" in the teeth as well. Probably also from wear but may make it smoother.
Lock rite is for 92 and older if anyone is interested.
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
There are at least 348,403 posts here on Jeep forum advising against installing any type of locker into a stock Dana 35. There are probablly almost as many posts advising against installing a lunchbox locker into a rear axle because of how poorly most lunchbox lockers behave when installed into a rear axle.

The best advice I can offer, locker behavior-wise, is to apply as little power as possible when turning corners. The best way to turn a corner with a rear automatic locker is with neutral power being applied... neither coasting through nor powering through a corner is best.

My next piece of advice is to carry a spare left and right axle shaft because sooner or later, one of those will break as a result of the new locker.
i agree 100% with Jerry. I'd go on to say that locking a 27 spline d/35 on 33's, with I don't care who's shafts you got, is in my opinion, breakage waiting to happen.

I drive like I don't want to break anything. The skinny pedal & I have our differences...the point I'm trying to make is that babying a locked d/35, on 33x12.5's with 27 spline shafts will one day result in something breaking. It did for me. And if it did for me under that scenario, then I believe it will happen to the next guy, too. That said...

30 spline shafts such as the Superior Evolution series, AND a stronger, after-market carrier such as comes with the Detroit Locker, and selectables like an ARB, OX etc., is the single best bet to keep the d/35 alive as long as possible, aside from running it open, in my opinion.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
reeksofrezin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Forgot to say it is a 2.5 5speed. I'm not really concerned with breakage because I wheel this mostly on my property or on friends property. If it breaks I will drag it back with my buggy or leave it there till I get around to fixing it.
Really was just amazed at how bad it sucks to run this locker in the rear of my TJ. I was prepared for noise and some effect on driving. But wow. A spool would behave much better on the street I believe.
Unread 02-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
reeksofrezin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Actually about an hour after filling the diff I was walking back to the shop to get the buggy to winch TJ off of a tree I was on so hard that it popped the bead off my spare, still on the rear rack and still at 25#.
Lockers get you WAY more stuck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.