TJ to LJ Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ to LJ Conversion

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Motas
1983 CJ10 

TJ to LJ Conversion

Hey. I have been searching and havent found anything so dont tell me to just do that. Also before you say just buy one. I cant none ever got to Australia AFAIK.
I would like to do this for the added room inside and slightly longer wheelbase.
So with that in mind is there any info or suggestion on how to do it? I would have to order panels in from usa and chassis stretch id have to do here. Is there any good writeups on stretches? Id also just order a soft top from quadratec so thats an easy fix i just need to get it perfect length.
Thanks for any help.

Motas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The LJ is longer than the TJ between the door and the wheelwell, and behind the wheel well, so if you wanted to exactly duplicate an LJ you'd be stretching it in two places (and don't forget stretching the inner fenders in two places as well).

You might consider stretching the TJ between the door and the rear wheel well. You could end up with the correct LJ length, but you'd have a slightly longer wheelbase. The cuts could be made right behind the door b-pillar, so you probably wouldn't have to stretch/splice the inner fenders.

Here's a photo of one stretched like that (you can ignore the hardtop drawn on the photo, sorry I don't have a photo without the hardtop), he calls it a "TJ-6":

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a built thread of one

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tj-6-a-913143/
Unread 07-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
lax22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

AEV used to do a TJ stretch like this though i think it was a 112-inch wheelbase. You can also get the LJ soft top rails from jeep and it will give you an idea on how much you need to add. I wish a company would make a T-1 do-it-yourself stretch kit because i have a wrangle i want to stretch.
Unread 07-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax22 View Post
AEV used to do a TJ stretch like this though i think it was a 112-inch wheelbase. You can also get the LJ soft top rails from jeep and it will give you an idea on how much you need to add. I wish a company would make a T-1 do-it-yourself stretch kit because i have a wrangle i want to stretch.
You could stretch a tub to any length you wanted by cutting it between the doors and the rear wheel wells as in the drawing above, and filling the space in between with new side panels topped with the top edge cut from any year CJ/YJ/TJ tub. The new side panels can easily be made from sheet metal.

That's how this trailer was built:

And in the process the inner fenders were removed, and replaced with minimal-sized ones (for a Jeep they'd have to be a little larger because the wheel travel on a vehicle is greater than on a trailer). By swapping the big old inner fenders for something like this you get a much more usable bed in the back:

Just another approach to consider...

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 07-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
mafbowhntr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I like that trailer
mafbowhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafbowhntr View Post
I like that trailer
Thanks! Here's what it looks like finished (to show how the new side panel method finishes off, not to hijack the thread ):

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 07-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Motas
1983 CJ10 

Wow this is a very helpful forum.
I dont mind I love the trailer to. If I ever find a smashed tj I'm gonna do it.
Someone that actually lives right near me on an australian forum did an lj stretch but pics are gone from it. He imported the quarter panels off an lj from the us and welded those on instead of making them. I like the idea of a mid only stretch though since theres better departure angles and still a MWB. If I did it that way would it not miss the wheel well al together? Its dark here so I'm going off memory but if you cut it just behind the pillar i think the wheel well would be just behind the cut. I'm also thinking of nissan patrol axles which are a little wider than the stock 44/30 so new inner fenders could be made fairly easily about the same as the trailer.
Also I cant really order large parts without a big shipping bill and going through customs which makes my situation a little more difficult because it would need to be perfect for the soft top being a daily driver and soft tops being reasonably small folded up.
I think the body is fairly straight forward with the correct measurements and new inner fenders but how do you do the chassis. I have been looking for a while and havent found a good mid chassis stretch only axle stretch and rear. I assume you cut it where it needs to be extended at the body and weld in a straight piece of box the same as the the chassis into it. Being a main part in the cars integrity I'd like to see someone else who has done it just for comfort lol.
The next things everything else. Driveshaft is obviously custom which is all sorted by someone else but other than that its just cables and wires which are pretty easy yer?
Thanks for all your help so far and sorry if my post is a bit rambling its nearly 1am here.
Edit: havent read tj6 yet so sorry if its already been answered there.
Unread 07-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
Motas
1983 CJ10 

Ok so the main problem here is that I cant get an LJ tub. Would cost WAY to much to get over here. The only way I can think of doing this would be getting a smashed tj and taking the tub off it. Using 15" or whatever off the front and weld that into my body and then making a trailer out of the rear and maybe selling that to pay back some of the other stuff i need.
My other problem is that australia hates car modifiers a lot more than in america. Any modification we do past 30% more suspension from bump to drop limit from stock, 1" wider rims and like 1" bigger tyres needs to be engineered. Now there not too fussy on the tyres so no one worries about that but this sure needs to be engineered and i think that costs a bit. No real fix for this but means it needs to be done properly and well.
I really think the tj 6 is the wtg though already hit my rear bar a bit.
Unread 07-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Motas
1983 CJ10 

$1500 for a tub from the wreckers which will make a trailer and a stretch. Steel for chassis stretch shouldn't be much if anything (might get some scrap off someone it's only two 15" pieces). Soft top I'd like a new one anyway but about $1000. Driveshaft should be about $500. Everything would be done myself so no cost there.
That's about $3000 for a completed conversion and if I made it into a trailer I could probably get a bit back off that if I didn't keep it.
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
ohtenwillys
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Thanks! Here's what it looks like finished (to show how the new side panel method finishes off, not to hijack the thread ):

thaaaaats pretty neck haha
ohtenwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 04:27 AM   #12
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motas View Post
$1500 for a tub from the wreckers which will make a trailer and a stretch. Steel for chassis stretch shouldn't be much if anything (might get some scrap off someone it's only two 15" pieces). Soft top I'd like a new one anyway but about $1000. Driveshaft should be about $500. Everything would be done myself so no cost there.
That's about $3000 for a completed conversion and if I made it into a trailer I could probably get a bit back off that if I didn't keep it.
Maybe things are more expensive there, but I had a driveshaft shop lengthen the shaft for the Retro Wrangler (the red pickup in the photo), they charged me about $120. They used the original driveshaft and re-tubed it with a longer tube.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 07-15-2011, 04:49 AM   #13
Motas
1983 CJ10 

Things ar emuch more expensive here but I havent got a quote. I also dont have a sye yet so I need a new shaft anyway.
Also someone may say paint but its nearly free for me.
Unread 07-15-2011, 05:15 AM   #14
JeepUAE
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A guy in JeepUnlimted forum stretched his TJ into an LJ,he used another tub to stretch the rear,in the near future I will stretch my jeep and make it a pickup with separate cab and bed or like the TJ6,jscherb really nice jeep and trailer I got inspired from your build.

What I understand in searching for stretching a jeep you need to cut behind the pillar add 10-15inch and behind the wheel well if you went with the 10 inch add 5 after the wheel wells,stretch the drive shaft,and fuel and brake lines.
JeepUAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 05:23 AM   #15
Motas
1983 CJ10 

Yer I think tj6 is the way to go. But is it exactly 15"? The tops flap enough as it is so I dont want it to be looser or not be able to get it on at all. I would do a pickup but I use the rear seats sometimes.
Thanks.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.