TJ & LJ Body Difference - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ & LJ Body Difference

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 06-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
J_Impact

TJ & LJ Body Difference

Hey Guys,

I checked out the TJ/LJ specifications area and all I could find was TJ wheelbase 93.4" with 155.4" length and LJ wheelbase 103.4" with 167-171.7" length.

What I am looking for is to find out WHERE the exact differences are in sizes in body and frame are between the two. Just visually looking at pictures of the body it appears that the LJ makes up with space between the door and rear wheel along with the rear wheel and the back edge of the Jeep.

I own a 2005 TJ and have access to a 2005 LJ frame just a couple of hours from me. I'm having some sick thoughts of placing my TJ body, engine, tranny and t-case on the LJ frame then stretching my tub...

Any links or ideas would greatly be appreciate!

J_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
undercoverfab
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Impact View Post
Hey Guys,

I checked out the TJ/LJ specifications area and all I could find was TJ wheelbase 93.4" with 155.4" length and LJ wheelbase 103.4" with 167-171.7" length.

What I am looking for is to find out WHERE the exact differences are in sizes in body and frame are between the two. Just visually looking at pictures of the body it appears that the LJ makes up with space between the door and rear wheel along with the rear wheel and the back edge of the Jeep.

I own a 2005 TJ and have access to a 2005 LJ frame just a couple of hours from me. I'm having some sick thoughts of placing my TJ body, engine, tranny and t-case on the LJ frame then stretching my tub...

The LJ frame and body are 10" longer in front of the rear axle and 5" longer behind the rear axle.
(334) 873-4000

Jeep Forum 10% Off Discount Code: jeepforum.com

Check us out on Facebook

undercoverfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey Guys,

It would appear that the difference is where you stated.

Unread 06-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
J_Impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverfab View Post
The LJ frame and body are 10" longer in front of the rear axle and 5" longer behind the rear axle.
Thank you for the exact numbers!

Maybe you can give me some more info...

Due to the extra 10"s in the front is there an extra body mount there?

PS I've been looking at your products. I like!
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
undercoverfab
Vendor
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you for the exact numbers!

Maybe you can give me some more info...

Due to the extra 10"s in the front is there an extra body mount there?

PS I've been looking at your products. I like!
No extra body mounts. The stretch takes place just behind the rear-most body mount below the door.
(334) 873-4000

Check us out on Facebook

Unread 06-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
J_Impact

Ok thanks.

I'm liking the direction my plan is heading! I'll extend my tub behind the door 10" for sure... Just not sure if I want the other 5". A semi bobbed LJ... Interesting!
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

look up -sean-'s build on this forum, and his write-up on pirate4x4. he bobbed his LJ to TJ specs, such that a TJ soft top or hard top would fit like factory, but retained the LJ wheelbase. very nice fab work.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I would LOVE to do that: put an LJ frame under my TJ for a "factory" stretch. Perfection.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
undercoverfab
Vendor
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok thanks.

I'm liking the direction my plan is heading! I'll extend my tub behind the door 10" for sure... Just not sure if I want the other 5". A semi bobbed LJ... Interesting!
There's an extra cross-member on the LJ frame about 5" in front of the rear cross-member that will need to be removed if you plan to leave out the 5" stretch behind the rear axle.

As Unlimited04 alluded to, you will have a tough time fitting a top should you decide to go with an overall length in between TJ and LJ.
(334) 873-4000

Check us out on Facebook

Unread 06-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
undercoverfab
Vendor
2007 JK Wrangler 

Someone should develop and kit to stretch the TJ frame and body to fit the unlimited top. Cutting directions/templates and all the parts to complete the stretch. Of course, unless you plan to cut it twice that would mean a 15" increase in WB. That might be a bit much for anything less than 37-39" tires.
(334) 873-4000

Check us out on Facebook

Unread 06-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There probably isn't enough market for this for some one to make a kit. I mean it's not like bare LJ frame are laying all over the place. Its just something the requires custom fab work.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #12
undercoverfab
Vendor
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
There probably isn't enough market for this for some one to make a kit. I mean it's not like bare LJ frame are laying all over the place. Its just something the requires custom fab work.
You're right about the market not being there for that type of kit... but what I meant was a kit to stretch the TJ frame AND tub. You wouldn't have to go buy anything else.
(334) 873-4000

Check us out on Facebook

Unread 06-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
Luck881
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Is that you George?

'05 TJ SE, 2.4L, 6 Spd, 2(+)" Procomp Lift, 33" GY Duratracs
'09 Ram QC SLT
Luck881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
J_Impact

LOL Bored at work?

JeepForum stalker!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.