TJ Input Shaft Bearing question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Input Shaft Bearing question

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
leblancr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Input Shaft Bearing question

I have an '04 TJ. 2.4L 5 speed. I did a major on the engine a year and a half ago. At that time, I had a little up and down in the input shaft. It turned freely and didn't feel like it was sticky or grinding. A friend told me it was normal and not to worry about it.

I must have nicked the rear main because it started leaking a little last summer, and got worse over the winter. I'm going to have to pull the tranny and change the rear main. I'll do the clutch as well as it's got 40K on it now.

My question is should I worry about that bearing? It doesn't look like a big thing to change, but I'm worried about messing with the tranny. Can I tell if it's bad by feel, or should it have no up/down or side to side play?

Thanks in advance.

leblancr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
surfcat2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Bearing play

are you talking about moving the input shaft side to side when the tranny is out and the end is not supported in the end of the crankshaft? If so that is normal because the pilot shaft bushing in the crank supports the end of the shaft. normally to change the input (or first motion shaft bearing ) shaft bearing you have to take out the cluster gear to let the input shaft be pulled out to press off the bearing. If you do this you should replace all your syncros and other bearings at the same time. I've never done a jeep trans but lots of other foreign and domestic trans and that the way they work. If the bearing was bad you would have a noise in neutral that would go away when you pressed in the clutch and stopped the shaft from turning. Jeff
surfcat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
leblancr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jeff. The side to side while out of the crank is what I was referring to. So that is great to hear. When I rebuilt the engine, 40K miles ago, that was what I saw. Nothing in it felt like it was bad by turning it by hand, etc. I suspected that the pilot bearing was the other major support after looking at an exploded diagram, but it's always better to check first. I'll check it again for feel, etc when I have it out and hopefully it will still be the same.

It has had the typical TJ growl in neutral that I've seen referenced here several times, but it's been that way since I bought it. It isn't getting worse so I don't think the bearing is worse. And I definately don't want to undertake a major rebuild of the tranny myself.

Thanks again, and I appreciate the info.

Rene
leblancr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.