TJ Hummer Intake Write-up (Buick Airbox) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Hummer Intake Write-up (Buick Airbox)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 10-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #61
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchevyman24 View Post
You should consider pulling and selling them. They are a pretty rare item for the average joe to run across...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
For anyone interested in finding parts (like the buick intake)

Check out car-parts.com They have almost anything you need, they are an easy site, and they can get you intouch with places to sell you what you need.

I have used it, and it is super easy, and super nice to use.

By the way prd_cdn I would love one of those if you have extras.

Brian
Yeah, they are not easily accessably, due to the fact they are in Afghanistan!

prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #62
Hamza07
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone know if this will work for an xj? Really wanna do this mod on my 95.
Hamza07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #63
morr
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am about to do this on my jeep. I got a spectre performance cold air induction filter system for 97 wrangler. So I just have to connect the 3" hose to the kit and make and install the hummer cap. How has your held up. And was rain an problem
morr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2012, 05:56 AM   #64
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've been thinking about making a replacement fiberglass cowl panel that would have a raised/level section for the air intake to mount to. It would be a direct bolt-on replacement for the factory cowl panel and would eliminate the need to cut a big hole in the factory sheet metal. It would also provide a level place to mount the air intake. I borrowed the photo on the left below from another thread where someone installed an intake like this, and on the right is the edited version showing how the intake would on the raised portion. The raised portion would also provide more room underneath for ductwork.

The raised section of new cowl panel might look something like this:

(The gray cowl panel below is part of a custom CJ Grille Conversion Kit so it's a little different than the stock TJ cowl panel, but the raised section I drew on it would look the same on a a TJ-replacement panel.)

I've already got a mold made for making stock TJ cowl panels, it wouldn't be hard to make a version of it with this raised intake section.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #65
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

As always, would love to see one go into production, very cool.

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #66
LalanP111
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I lovejscherb's ideas, please make one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
It takes care of me and in return, I take care of it. Takes me away from everything I don't want to be around, and back again when needed...
LalanP111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #67
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great Idea!
Unread 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #68
markmdz

any progress with this? any idea what the cowl might cost? I'm very interested in this piece. Also, since you're so damn handy with f/g, why not take it a step further and fabricate a box right into the underside of the cowl with a 3" hard pipe to accept the flex line that everyone is using to extend from the airbox. This way, the purchaser of your "cowl with box" will only need to purchase a cap of his/her choosing, some flex tubing/duct and whatever other modifications they need to do under the hood. By fabricating the box directly into the underside of your cowl, even with the '00+ TJ's with the black box, you should be able to keep it low profile yet have plenty of airflow so as not to be restrictive in any way.
markmdz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #69
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmdz View Post
any progress with this? any idea what the cowl might cost? I'm very interested in this piece. Also, since you're so damn handy with f/g, why not take it a step further and fabricate a box right into the underside of the cowl with a 3" hard pipe to accept the flex line that everyone is using to extend from the airbox. This way, the purchaser of your "cowl with box" will only need to purchase a cap of his/her choosing, some flex tubing/duct and whatever other modifications they need to do under the hood. By fabricating the box directly into the underside of your cowl, even with the '00+ TJ's with the black box, you should be able to keep it low profile yet have plenty of airflow so as not to be restrictive in any way.
I'm working on finishing up all of the parts for the CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ that this cowl panel is a part of (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cj...thread-1364193), so I haven't spent any time on the cold air intake version of the cowl panel yet.

It costs me less than $25 in materials (resin, fiberglass, gelcoat) to mold a fiberglass cowl panel. I don't know how much they would retail for if they ever got on the market.

The ductwork is part of the design, I just didn't post that photo/drawing as part of my original post:

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 09-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #70
morr
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hey I'm tryn to do this mod. Did u push some of the 3" hose in to the heater intake hole to make that fit. And if u did how dose your heater and air work now since that is stopping some of the air flow
morr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #71
Jeepjt04
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone else done this mod? Ican easliy get ahold of the intake. Looking into doing it when I get home from deployment. Looks pretty sweet an adds that litte touch of uniqueness to what most people do not see a lot.
Jeepjt04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #72
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb
I'm working on finishing up all of the parts for the CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ that this cowl panel is a part of (www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cj-grille-conversion-kit-tj-lj-project-build-thread-1364193), so I haven't spent any time on the cold air intake version of the cowl panel yet.

It costs me less than $25 in materials (resin, fiberglass, gelcoat) to mold a fiberglass cowl panel. I don't know how much they would retail for if they ever got on the market.

The ductwork is part of the design, I just didn't post that photo/drawing as part of my original post:
Jscherb, this looks really good, is the drawing suggesting that the intake "hose" could be moulded into the cowl?

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #73
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brplatz View Post
Jscherb, this looks really good, is the drawing suggesting that the intake "hose" could be moulded into the cowl?
Yes, that's the design. A one-piece panel that includes the air intake ductwork.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #74
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So the "owner" would just have to have a cowl intake and done? Damn thats awesome simple

Unread 10-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #75
LalanP111
2004 TJ Wrangler 

any update? would really like to see this become a reality!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
It takes care of me and in return, I take care of it. Takes me away from everything I don't want to be around, and back again when needed...
LalanP111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.