TJ Hummer Intake Write-up (Buick Airbox) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Hummer Intake Write-up (Buick Airbox)

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
bigchevyman24
2000 WJ 

TJ Hummer Intake Write-up (Buick Airbox)

Hey guys,

After doing tons of research and junkyard scavaging, I finally got around to cuttin some holes in my Jeep . The majority of my info I got from here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/write-up-hummer-cold-air-intake-326040/

I did do some things different though. So I'm making my own write-up ...

First off, I'll do some final pics:

Here is a price breakdown and parts list:

3" Flex Hose(Autozone) - $20
Airbox from a 1992 Buick Century w/ 3.3L V6 - $25(I know I was overcharged)
New Air filter - $7

Items from Lowe's:
3" to 2" Rubber Reducer Coupling- $6
3" to 3" Rubber Coupling - $6
3" PVC plumbing flange - $4
3 5/8" Hole Saw - $20
1" Maskin Tape - $1
4 Small Bolts/Lock Washers/Nuts - $2
1 1/2" corner braces - $2
6" PVC end cap - $12

Grand total of $105...I well overpaid for the airbox but it was the only one I could find. I've seen guys get them for $10...and if you have the hole saw, that's an extra $20 you can take off...

Before you begin, you are going to want to take off the cowl. I was lucky as the ac/heater air intake was not fully boxed in on mine. It was not boxed in until 2000 model jeeps...(look at the writup mentioned above to see what you will have to do if yours is boxed up)

So, to begin...I started by preparing the airbox for the intake pipe. I cut off the plastic bracket on it:

Then I found where I wanted my airbox lid to be at under the hood and marked the intake tube on the jeep. Then I cut the jeep intake tube. You will have to "widdle" down the 2" side on the 3" to 2" coupler as the jeep tube is actually 2 5/8"(no problems there). Now you can put the coupler on the buick air intake lid and attach it to the jeep tube.

Say your prayers and pull out the hole saw and drill ...You are about to cut the firewall to go into the cowl(You should already have the cowl off). Some others went to the left of the ground. I chose to go to the right...Either way will work, but going to the left will give you a little more room on the flextube. As others have said, measure twice, cut once!!!

Now you have the first hole. Go ahead and mount your airbox/flextube(you can look on the other thread for airbox mounting options. Somehow I cut mine perfectly to where it rests on the sparkplug wire holders and doesn't need bracing ...

SOLD: 2000 WJ 2WD CONVERTED TO 4X4, 97 TJ ON 35'S, 95 XJ ON 33'S
bigchevyman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
bigchevyman24
2000 WJ 

Now you should be looking like this:

Here I took a break away from the Jeep and began working on the "Hummer Intake" part of this project. I looked around for all kinds of "rain caps" and the such. I didn't feel like spending $50+ on an actual hummer intake so I found a few other options(on the other thread). I decided to go with a 6" PVC end cap. It looks close to the same and I built my own. This is where the 4 bolts, corner braces/brackets, and 3" to 3" coupler come into play. I took the corner braces and screwed them into the 3" coupler(the coupler is going to connect to the plumbing flange)...

Then you want to focus on your PVC cap. In my opinion it was way to tall so I cut it down to a few inches(height is your preference):

I had to bend the corner brackets to get them to fit under the pvc cap...then I marked my holes and drilled. The bolts I got were a little too short so I countersunk them in the top of the pvc. In the end, you should end up with something like this:

Now take your "hummer intake" and prefit it to the cowl and find what position you want it to be in. Mark on your cowl and cut with the holesaw(make sure you are far enough over to where you can still get the flexhose through the hole). Make sure you use the tape on where you are going to cut so you can "save" the paint around the hole. This is where I put mine:

Now, sand and paint your "hummer intake."

You will want to take your plumbing flange and prefit it into the hole in the cowl. Some trimming will be required:

Take your flextubing and stick it up through the flange. It's a tight fit but it will go(some people have suggested grease). Now you are almost done. Position your flange and then put your cowl back on the jeep. I chose not to bolt down the flange as pressure is going to keep it pretty tight. You can look on the other thread to see how he bolted his flange in.

The cowl is going to be very hard to get on, but trust me, it will go. Now, put your "hummer intake" on top of the flange and tighten the ring down. YOU ARE DONE!!! It's not a hard project at all as long as you don't mind a little cutting!!!

Unread 10-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
bigchevyman24
2000 WJ 

Another good thing about the 3" coupler under the "hummer intake" is that I can take it off and add a few feet of pvc to extend it when I go wheeling!!!

Unread 10-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice, Thanks
Unread 10-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I love the way these look, but you can't drop the hood : (
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
bigchevyman24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TJX
I love the way these look, but you can't drop the hood : (
I thought about that and it doesn't come back on the windsheild all the way ...but since the intake can be easily taken off, a twist of the screwdriver and I can lay the hood back for the longer visits under there

Unread 10-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
Unscathed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would have just tied off that black air hose in the air tub and not worried about drilling another hole in your cowl.. just use the vent that is already in the cowl.

Looks good otherwise..

The owner of Alljeep.com, Wayne Hartwig will work within your budget!!! He is very informative to anyone not knowing much about axle work and will meet or beat any competitor's advertised price on any specific product delivered to your door - even if he sells at cost!

Last edited by Unscathed; 10-15-2007 at 01:42 PM..
Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

What year is your TJ? I see that you have the AX-15 so that means it was pre-2000. I wonder if under the cowl is any different for us 2000 and up guys...
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks good, i like it.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
bigchevyman24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02
What year is your TJ? I see that you have the AX-15 so that means it was pre-2000. I wonder if under the cowl is any different for us 2000 and up guys...
It's different for 2000 and up...it looks like this...pre-2000 looks like mine and the big black box is not there...:

2000 and up:

Unread 10-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #11
Michael_K

Great job!

I thought I was cheap. You made your own snokel cap out of pipe end cap... I bet, you brew your own beer.
Unread 10-15-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
kizer

I suppose worst case you could of just cut a hole in the hood instead of in the cowl.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchevyman24
It's different for 2000 and up...it looks like this...pre-2000 looks like mine and the big black box is not there...:

2000 and up:
Gah, I suppose I should've read your write-up better... You said that already. My bad!

Well it definitely looks good. I think I'm going to begin this project next payday. Thanks for the inspiration!
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
Kerndone
I lack money

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, I like the home-brew intake cap. If I didn't get a good deal on that hummer cap, I would have had to brainstorm like you did. Not sure I would have come up with that!

Mine is also a '99 with that plastic cover...I bought it in June, so it was an earlier model and I'd make the assumption they started using that cover sometime in the beginning of the '99's production run.

'99 TJ - work in progress...see profile

'08 WK - Silver RME, DD.
Kerndone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #15
bigchevyman24
2000 WJ 

My apologies, I thought your thread said 2000 and up...guess it's 99 and up on that cowl a/c cap...I could've have done it without kerndone's writeup...

No, I don't brew myself(but I do drink Natty Light lol...isn't that close enough?)

And if you plan on doing this, it's not really a time consuming or hard project...just make sure you get all your measurements right before you cut/drill...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.