tj heater/ac problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj heater/ac problems

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 02-26-2014, 02:44 AM   #1
Bturner7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

tj heater/ac problems

I have tried researching, but I have had no luck. My heater and air conditioner is not working. When I turn it on I can hear it kick on, but nothing comes through the vents. Does anyone know what this could be? I was told that it could be the resistor, but I don't have the money to spend on a hunch. I was hoping that someone else may have had this problem. Thanks!

Bturner7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 05:51 AM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check the knob on the fan switch. Sometimes they crack and just spin on the shaft. Makes you think it's turning on, but isn't.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have tried researching, but I have had no luck.
Sorry, gotta call you out on this one. I literally searched for "Heater/AC not working" and got 108 threads that speak on the topic.

Anywhoo... JBJT is right, oftentimes it is the switch itself, mechanically. This is a good first place to look. If this looks fine then it's time to open up your console and look at the wiring going to the switch, look for melting or shorts. If the switch looks fine from a wiring perspective then you can look to the blower motor itself, perhaps pull it out clean it and test it by bypassing some voltage to it and see if she spins. All these things you can do without spending a penny.

BTW, since you said the fan does not blow on any setting, even the highest, then it is something other than the resistor pack, as the highest setting does not use the resistor pack it bypasses it through the high speed blower motor relay.

Good Luck.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Bturner7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses. When I said I researched I meant that I didn't see any with that exact problem. Lol. I will try that out and see if it works. Thanks again
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturner7 View Post
Thanks for the responses. When I said I researched I meant that I didn't see any with that exact problem. Lol. I will try that out and see if it works. Thanks again
It is a common problem, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what is wrong. Let us know what you find out.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The way the circuit is on your ’97 (very different than ’99 & later), if you don’t have any speed I would go to the blower motor. See if putting 12v & ground wires directly to the motor gets it working. If yes then carefully check the connector to it. If all is good there go to the mode selector slider switch. Check the flat 5 wire connector there. If not melted or signs of excessive heat check the red/dark green wire for power (from fuse 8 in the block behind the glove box) with the key on & with it still plugged in see if the tan wire gets power when the slider is in all positions except off (powers the resistor & speed switch). If not, the mode switch is bad.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
Bturner7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok guys...sorry it took so long to post the results! I just got around to working on it today. I tested the blower motor by running power directly to it...nothing. I replaced the motor and I could hear it running like a champ, but air was barely coming from the vents. I did some research and found out that you have to reverse the green and black wires on the blower motor (some kind of defect and I don't know why they would reverse it). Well I got in to test it and turned it to full blast. It hasn't worked in so long that it looked like the dust bowl could have started from my jeep. If that doesn't tell you that it worked...it did! Lol. I also cleaned mud and grass out of the housing and off the blower motor resistor afterwards for good measure.

The only problem I am having now is the defrost doesn't really blow. Now I'm back to where I was two years ago. At least I have heat and air though. If anyone has a suggestion I would be glad to hear it! Thanks to everyone on the forum for their advice!
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Likely the blend door is detached/broken so you are stuck on the last setting you used. I found a writeup I bookmarked for future use when I happened to come across it. There may be better ones.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/ac...nts-15844.html

Lots of folks will talk about vacuum actuated, mechanical motor, etc... but the earliest models (I think just 97 and 98) are simple slide actuators attached with a mechanical arm via a cable. It's the attachment of the mechanical arm that typically breaks, or sometimes the cable itself becomes detached. You'll need to climb under there and look. If you are 5' nothing and weigh less than 100lbs then grab a sammich and a few tools and climb on in. Otherwise I recommend removing your seat to get under there.

Good luck.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ac , fan , heater , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.