TJ hardtop vent question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ hardtop vent question

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 10-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
zmiller
2002 TJ Wrangler 

TJ hardtop vent question

Hello everyone. I'm new to Wranglers and am in need of info. I have an 02 Wrangler X and just bought a hardtop off an 04 Sahara. I installed it Saturday and while going down the road with the window down the top directly above the center console flexes alot. Neither my tailgate nor my top have vents. Is the top flex normal? I am concerned with the top flexing too much and cracking. With the windows up the top doesn't flex. What should be done to avoid damage? Thanks for all the help

zmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
photontraveler
Old Dude

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmiller View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new to Wranglers and am in need of info. I have an 02 Wrangler X and just bought a hardtop off an 04 Sahara. I installed it Saturday and while going down the road with the window down the top directly above the center console flexes alot. Neither my tailgate nor my top have vents. Is the top flex normal? I am concerned with the top flexing too much and cracking. With the windows up the top doesn't flex. What should be done to avoid damage? Thanks for all the help
My hardtop has done that for 5 years and no problems yet.............Hope this helps..................
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 99 with a vented top and no noise of any kind . maybe keep an eye out for a newer tailgate if it gets to bothering ya
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, it is normal.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
zmiller
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info everyone. I have the ability to get a newer tailgate so I may. I think the OME 2.5" lift might come first though
zmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
nickfast
2003 WJ 

No padding on my roll bar, and the first time I took it out on the highway with the windows down, it smacked the bar hard enough to elicit a loud bang-scared the crap out of me until I figured out what was going on.

Nick
nickfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
Five-Oh
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Normal.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thats normal the tops are just fiberglass.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
04Sahara
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmiller View Post
I noticed this is an older topic but when I got my '04 last September the temps were cooler and the windows were kept up pretty much until May of this year when things warmed-up quickly and then I too noticed the hardtop roof flexing with the window(s) down and driving at faster than city speeds.

This kinda made me wonder if the top was going to crack, break apart or my Jeep was going to become a convertible, it was dancing pretty good. Anyway, it appears as though this is "normal" for these wranglers I guess but I also saw the word the tailgate (rear swing away door?) mentioned, what's the deal with it, does it have some affect on the hardtop roof bouncing and flexing when the windows are down? Thanks.
04Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.