TJ Hard Start & rough idle(Everyone help plz) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Hard Start & rough idle(Everyone help plz)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineKrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach Sale

Unread 07-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Bwesley
1998 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Hard Start & rough idle(Everyone help plz)

Hopefully Jerry or someone else wise will get wind of this one. Several months ago , my 98 TJ had small problems while starting and bigger problems when reaching speeds over 55mph. It would sputter and jerk really bad when reaching those speeds. I replaced the wires, plugs, ignition coil, rotor, and distributor cap. Still no change. I then took it in to get looked at. They replaced the front axle. After that, the sputtering at high speeds went away. However, I still experienced a hard start, then a rough idle. The first attempt to start fails. The second works, most of the time, followed by a temporary rough idle. I also feel that ever-so-slight sputter when I take my foot off the gas at high speeds.

About 3 months ago, I replaced the IAC Valve and cleaned out the throttle body. This did nothing. Over the last few months I added fuel injector cleaner to the tank twice, with no avail. I also attempted to clean the fuel injectors manually, but could not get them removed (must've done something wrong). Just today, I replaced the O2 sensor. Still, nothing. I am assuming the next step is to get to the fuel filter and maybe take another crack at the fuel injectors.

Bwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pull your plugs and see what they look like, check you cat for clogging, and something fuel would be my last guess.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Bwesley
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Never checked my CAT before. Is that very difficult??
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

x2 it would almost have to be fuel related. Mine is doing the same thing, and I have been told to replace the check valve on the fuel pump. This might explain the no start on the first try. Not sure if a 98 has that though.. Now, as far as sputtering while driving, may be your fuel pump, or maybe a clogged filter. Have you checked the fuel pressure yet?
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Bwesley
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have not checked the fuel pressure yet. Quick way to do so??????
Unread 07-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Should be a connection for a gauge on the rail...

Do you have any check engine light activity? Any codes?

Also, did you say they replaced the front axle??? Why??? Tell me, tell me, I implore...!

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also, a nice, filled in profile would be nice.
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
Bwesley
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So tomorrow morning, I wil pull the plugs and see what they look like. I did have a check engine code several months ago (p0505?) 5th cylinder. The mechanic said that my front axle was in very bad shape and could have been the cause of me losing power while approaching high speeds, and while driving up an incline. Keep coming with the input!! And I will update my profile .

Tags
hard , start , rough , idle , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.