TJ gas leak??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ gas leak???

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 08-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
wheelharder89
2000 TJ Wrangler 

TJ gas leak???

I just filled up my 2000 TJ and noticed there's a gas leaking out from somewhere near the top of my tank, than stopped after a few minuets. I haven't had time to really investigate but it seems to only leak when it is filled. just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem and what the likely cause is? i'm hopping its something like a filler hose or something?

wheelharder89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

You can take the plastic insert where the gas cap is at off. then you can look down and see if any hoses are cracked or loose.
I would do this sooner than later. Gas is not something you want leaking out.
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
jeepjerryp7m8
1982 CJ8 

My 00 TJ did this when I bought it a few months ago, I would fill it up and then smell gas for half an hour then it would go away. HUH. Walked out of the gas station one day after filling up and saw a "sheet" of fuel pouring down from under the Jeep. Turns out that when the PO had the fuel pump replaced the gasket slipped and it would spill fuel when full.
Drove to the selling dealer, parked it and got into a loaner for the day while they took care of it. No charge of corse. Blowing up customers is a bad way to ensure return business.
Jerry
jeepjerryp7m8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
wheelharder89
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I took the plastic insert off and the hoses look fine, Im going to drop the tank today and find out where its coming from.
wheelharder89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
giles45shop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Although it doesn't completely fit w/ the symptoms of leaking only when full, another problem area is the little quick connect fitting that attaches the metal fuel line to ~ 12" long rubber hose that supplies fuel from the in-tank pump. The o-rings in this fitting can start leaking after a while. Mine started leaking, but it was a fairly constant leak, that only stopped after the Jeep was turned off and allowed to sit until it bled off the ~ 50 psi residualfuel pressure.

You have to drop the tank to replace the hose. You can get to the fitting that attaches to the hard metal lines, but can't reach the one on the tank end w/o dropping the tank. I believe you can get replacement fittings/repair kit from NAPA, pay the dealer ~ $70 for the 12" hose, or if you have a Jeep shop in the area they might be able to make up the hose for you. My local shop made one up for ~$35.
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #6
tjspartan

1997 Jeep tj gas leak

Mine started this tonight....the first fill up after replacing the fuel pump (which runs like a dream now ). Anyway, when I got underneath of it and saw where the gas had spilled out it left a wet stain right in the middle where the plastic screw top is to seal off the fuel pump. Willing to bet its not tight or missed a thread on the way down. I used a flat head and a hammer on the last few bits of torque to get it tight but kind of *****ed out after a few whacks being that its plastic.

My advice is safely generate the leak and respond quickly to identify where the leaking gas leaves a wet stain if applicable. This will give you an idea if its a filler hose, cap, line etc.
tjspartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
filler neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.