tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 99 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit?

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #1471
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04

I say that because the tire is rubbing the rear of the wheelwell, and it shouldn't.

You need to cycle the suspension...full bump, full droop, full flex, on both sides, with both axles, with the springs removed.
Ah-ha! That makes sense. I'll go adjust my lowers out a touch this afternoon.

Quote:
The cover and track bar should have NO contact. But that assumes you have your setup optimized with a lower profile diff cover and a track bar that clears stuff well. You've got a good track bar, just the wrong diff cover...unless you install enough bumpstop extension to keep stuff from smashing together.

So you disagree with the following statements?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy
It might kiss the cover but nothing to worry about. At full articulation you aren't going anywhere so if it hits no big deal. Same as when it is fully compresses and it makes contact. Just don't push the axle forward. I've seen where people think they can stretch the wheel base by pushing the front out and finding out that doesn't work to good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
If you go read a lot of the threads on contact issues, we've told a lot of them that pushing the axle that far forward doesn't do much for them except complicate their life with interference issues.

If it weren't for the internet making wheelbase increases one of the big bragging rights categories, most would just pull the axle back a bit and go on. Several of them are in this thread.
Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #1472
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jay View Post
So you disagree with the following statements?
I disagree with your total disregard for the context, because Blaine and Gerald are talking about pushing the axle forward to gain wheelbase, and they're talking with respect to the stock diff cover, not that monstrosity you have.

Pretty much all the cases outlining clearance issues in this thread involve using stock length control arms.

Stock control arms + Riddler + Currie TJS/TJJ:

Here's the thread where we've already discussed this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bu...08/index2.html
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #1473
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What I disagree with your total disregard for the context, because Blaine and Gerald are talking about pushing the axle forward to gain wheelbase, and they're talking with respect to the stock diff cover, not that monstrosity you have.
I previously described my exact set-up including the dif cover to Gerald via email and his reply in so many words was "stop reading stuff on the Internet and don't worry about it. It will work fine" I don't feel I'm disregarding anything I'm just trying to understand why there seems to be a disagreement in my specific case.

You say there should be no contact between the TB and dif cover. They say a little contact is ok.

You say the Riddler dif cover will not fit. They say it will.

I don't mean any hard feeling here. Just trying to figure out what gives.

Unread 01-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #1474
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I previously described my exact set-up including the dif cover to Gerald via email and his reply in so many words was "stop reading stuff on the Internet and don't worry about it. It will work fine" I don't feel I'm disregarding anything I'm just trying to understand why there seems to be a disagreement in my specific case.

You say there should be no contact between the TB and dif cover. They say a little contact is ok.

You say the Riddler dif cover will not fit. They say it will.

I don't mean any hard feeling here. Just trying to figure out what gives.

Well, then dispense with the internet speculation and guessing.

Push the axle to full bump and find out for yourself. Post pictures.
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #1475
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Well, then dispense with the internet speculation and guessing.

Push the axle to full bump and find out for yourself. Post pictures.
Haha

Will do.

Unread 01-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #1476
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

riddler cover, stock control arms, no track bar, no added bumpstop, full compression.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #1477
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

BTW, what all needs to me disconnected for the droop test. I don't really need to remove the drive shaft an pull the springs like this guy do I? I'm assuming just the sway bar but I'm not sure.
image-3229382015.jpg

I won't have time for the full bump test till next week, but I did take it wheeling yesterday (very gently at first). After the first couple semi hard drop off I checked the dif cover and TB for any signs of interference. Nothing! I progressively went harder and harder throughout the day and my TB never touch the cover. By the end of the day I had wheeled the Jeep harder than I normally would and there seems to be no issues with my set up. Here's a shot of it after the carnage. You can see bite marks on the tie rod, axle and bottom face of the dif cover from the rocks.image-2657327197.jpg
image-164993631.jpg
image-2549311737.jpg
image-3157620003.jpg

Unread 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #1478
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
BTW, what all needs to me disconnected for the droop test. I don't really need to remove the drive shaft an pull the springs like this guy do I? I'm assuming just the sway bar but I'm not sure.
Disconnect the sway bar. Remove the jounce bumper and bumpstop cup. You'll need to unhook the shocks, but set them back in place after you get the springs out. Remove the springs, and reinstall the bumpstop cup. Leave the jounce bumper out.

You need to find full bump. Push the axle up with a floor jack until the bumpstop cup is touching the spring pad.

You may find the shocks bottoming out first, preventing diff cover/track bar contact. Don't be happy yet, bottoming out the shocks is bad too. Whatever the uptravel limiting factor is, you need to add enough bumpstop extension to prevent contact/damage.

When you find the uptravel limiting factor, measure the distance between the bumpstop cup and the spring pad with a tape measure.

Post pictures.
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #1479
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Disconnect the sway bar. Remove the jounce bumper and bumpstop cup. You'll need to unhook the shocks, but set them back in place after you get the springs out. Remove the springs, and reinstall the bumpstop cup. Leave the jounce bumper out.

Post pictures.
Bare with me here buddy I'm still pretty new to this. I have to do this^^ for the droop test, or the bump test?

Quote:
Push the axle up with a floor jack until the bumpstop cup is touching the spring pad.
Post pictures.
Push the axle up? I was under the impression that I just had to lift the Jeep up, pull the springs disconnect the shocks and sway bar links and rest it back down on all 4s at which point the bump stops would/should be sitting on the lower spring pads. Is there a step-by-step for dummies on the web someplace showing how this is done?

Thanks for the reply by the way.

Unread 01-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #1480
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Push the axle up?
Support the Jeep from the frame like you're installing a lift.

Use a floor jack and do this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...l#post11060714
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #1481
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Push the axle up? I was under the impression that I just had to lift the Jeep up, pull the springs disconnect the shocks and sway bar links and rest it back down on all 4s at which point the bump stops would/should be sitting on the lower spring pads.
In my opinion, it's easier to support the Jeep by the frame on jackstands, then disconnect everything, then cycle the axle up & down since it's already supported.
You'll find that the axle will only lower so far, your 4 control arms & track bar will bind at a certain point, due to them all having a range of travel. That's your full droop. You'll find that the axle will only raise so far because something hits something, in your case, the first thing to hit is likely the riddler cover meeting the bottom of the track bar.
You want enough bumpstop to prevent anything from hitting, similiarly, you want some form of a strap to catch the axle right before full droop.
What many don't realize is that their shocks are performing the function of either the bumpstop or the limiting strap. That's not good for them.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #1482
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok got it. Damn you guys are good.

Unread 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #1483
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

T-Jay, you're not fully understanding what the goals are for doing this, otherwise you wouldn't need to ask what to remove. The whole point of cycling the axle is to put it into different scenarios to determine where interference will happen. You can't do this with the springs between the axle and frame so those obviously have to go. If you're set on keeping the current shocks and shock mounts, then those need to be there since the axle can't go any higher or lower than the shocks will allow. Since the tires against the fenders are an interference scenario, those also need to be on. The sway bar needs to be disconnected so the axle can move freely. Put jack stands behind the front LCA mounts and in front of the rear LCA mounts to support the rig. Pull the springs and sway bar and bolt the shocks and tires back up. Now you can freely cycle the axle without moving the frame....that will allow you to see and fix any interference areas between the track bar, diff, tire, fender, etc. Adjust the bump stops to prevent those things from happening or grind, cut to prevent it. Either way, adjust the bump stops accordingly once you've determined where your first interference point is.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #1484
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's all clear as day now. Thanks again guys for taking the time to break it down for me. Much appreciated.

Unread 01-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #1485
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

On a daily driver, Constantly rubbing the bar is what ruins the rod ends and causes bushing failure as well as loosening jam nuts and frame end bolts, not to mention the occasional busted rod ends.

I get loads of jeeps people are in love with but won't drive anymore and sell for fear of being pulled over for duii when when the real problem is suspension and steering. A loose track bar bushing can cause you to spend money on things that won't solve any problems, just cost more money. Insufficient bumpstops and "heavy duty" diff covers tend to be problems for some reason...... nothin pisses me off more than hearing excuses like "its a jeep" or "every jeep is different"

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tj , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.