tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 80 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #1186
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by -sean- View Post
After market diff covers blow!

These work nicely, $59 each.

On my old TJ, I took a stock diff cover and cut it in half and bolted it on front of the.........stock diff cover. All i needed to do was get slightly longer bolts and small washers to put between the two covers. Looked just like that, except no holes. Cheap and did the job. I did make a drain hole at the bottom though.

Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #1187
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -sean- View Post
^^^this... sums up this entire thread.

Geometry wise, the stock TB is by far the best available for a TJ using stock style steering.
What changes with the geometry wth the JKS ?
Unread 06-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #1188
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I was thinking about my trackbar conundrum this weekend and looking at some other rigs.....

I am also thinking about just buying a trackbar that moves the bracket ... is there a disadvantage to say the RockKrawler track bar kit or Rubi Express?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16189_1110.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_600.htm
SideshowBob024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #1189
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob024 View Post
So I was thinking about my trackbar conundrum this weekend and looking at some other rigs.....

I am also thinking about just buying a trackbar that moves the bracket ... is there a disadvantage to say the RockKrawler track bar kit or Rubi Express?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16189_1110.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_600.htm
tie-rod....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/re...5/#post5127372

also needs drop pitman arm.

you gotta understand at stock height/low lift levels, the cast bracket mounting face will actually dip below or even with the straight tie-rod at full bump. so basically anything that extends in front of & significantly below the stock cast bracket can hit the tie-rod.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #1190
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well it seems like the conclusion for him was that he was missing a bumpstop? I'll have to read later when I have more time.

The kits seem like they provide better flex because of the two horizontal joints instead of one? I guess the disadvantage is that it's dropping the mounting point for the trackbar lower than the factory point.

Where I am at-
1- Keep currie/savvy bar and hope factory style diff cover with lower skid solves contact issues
2- RK or other trackbar kit and keep my diff cover

Either way I need a steering upgrade at some point, so I am trying to work within something that doesn't contact there. I know that the RK trackbar kit with the Savvy/Currie steering works.
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #1191
five-0
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I installed my dpgoffroad ultimate kit last week. Ad my JKS track bar is hitting the diff cover over mini speed bumps..... You can all say you told me so.

I've got the bumpstops in... And I've got a stock D30. I can't wait until I get a bumper and winch.... For now I'll take speedbumps sideways.
five-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #1192
ekim

Quote:

The kits seem like they provide better flex because of the two horizontal joints instead of one? I guess the disadvantage is that it's dropping the mounting point for the trackbar lower than the factory point.

Where I am at-
1- Keep currie/savvy bar and hope factory style diff cover with lower skid solves contact issues
I can't think of a case where the frame drop for the track bar will give you more travel. You'll need 2" more bump stop over stock to account for the drop.

One argument for the drop kits is strengthening the frame side mount. I think this can be accomplished with a 5/8" bolt and a brace like this:

Here's a good pic (from this thread) that shows why a drop reduces travel. Even if you manage to clear the diff by moving the track bar mount slightly forward, you're going to hit the tie rod.

ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #1193
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well it seems like the conclusion for him was that he was missing a bumpstop? I'll have to read later when I have more time.
he also had 4.5" lift & longer shocks than you, and even after installing the stock cup again with 2" of bumpstop over stock, there was still interference.

Quote:
The kits seem like they provide better flex because of the two horizontal joints instead of one?
"better flex" isn't necessarily the right word. The double shear will basically eliminate the binding seen with single shear in droop.

If you really want to go double shear on a low lift, you need to cut the stock mount off, or significantly modify it, and fabricate your own custom bent track bar.

Mudb8 did that for CB3's rig. The write-up is in this thread (post #767).

Quote:
Where I am at-
no hope involved. pull the springs & jounce bumpers out. push the axle to full bump. you'll probably need 2" bumpstop extensions, but testing it is the only way you're going to know for sure.

Quote:
If you want a drop pitman arm & drop track bar bracket with 3-4" of bumpstop extension on a 2" lift, go for it.

Quote:
Either way I need a steering upgrade at some point, so I am trying to work within something that doesn't contact there. I know that the RK trackbar kit with the Savvy/Currie steering works.
How do you know? For reference, post pictures at full bump with this combination, with the required bumpstop extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim View Post
and that V8 ZJ tie-rod, combined with a heavily modified diff cover & 1.375" bumpstop extension, is the only reason that track bar clears - it will hit a straight tie-rod without ~2" bumpstop extension. mudb8 outlined that in this thread as well, right here (post #807)
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #1194
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I appreciate the thought out replies. Your links aren't working for me though as I think they are supposed to go to the posts showing the custom double shears done in this thread so far (prolly because we have different # of posts per page). Or they were just sarcastic links, I can't tell. Either way the post is #1106 for tomster.

CB3's rig with pics as well- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ye...-soft-1160829/

Ugh on the more required bumpstop, loosing that up-travel sucks. Seems like the custom mount is the best long term solution if you want to stay low.
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #1195
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think they are supposed to go to the posts
they are permalinks, and should have no bearing on the number of posts displayed per page. the permalink is at the top right of each post in every thread. maybe your browser is blocking something?
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #1196
Muddeprived

When I click on the links, I go to the same page I am on now.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #1197
glook
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Currie TJS trackbar, front axle (d30) rotated by both upper and lower CAs to 7 degree caster, V8 ZJ tie rod, 1" bumpstops. Does not hit, but the axle looks shifted about 3/8" backwards when at full bump. I guess that's because of my caster adjustments.
imag0015_resize.jpg   imag0021_resize.jpg   imag0023_resize.jpg  
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #1198
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

nice work!
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #1199
MikalCarbine
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glook
Currie TJS trackbar, front axle (d30) rotated by both upper and lower CAs to 7 degree caster, V8 ZJ tie rod, 1" bumpstops. Does not hit, but the axle looks shifted about 3/8" backwards when at full bump. I guess that's because of my caster adjustments.
So it seems that with adjustable CA's this bar might work? Should the bumps be more centered at full stuff, I feel like that'd make it super close!
MikalCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #1200
glook
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikalCarbine View Post
So it seems that with adjustable CA's this bar might work? Should the bumps be more centered at full stuff, I feel like that'd make it super close!
Well, it did work for me. I don't think the bumpstop cups should be centered with non-stock CA lengths. When I rotated the axle I tried not to change the wheelbase.

Tags
tj , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.