tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 59 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #871 of 1784 Old 03-11-2011, 05:55 AM
rikkards
Web Wheeler
 
rikkards's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,131
So on a (somewhat) related note, I am looking at getting a Zone 3" spring lift and was planning on getting an adjustable track bar instead of moving the stock one. My concern after reviewing this thread I realized that I may need to be careful on which TB I go with. I have to confess 22 pages is a lot to read and since it is a pretty old thread what may have happened in the beginning may no longer be true.

My concern is with this lift I was going to get the RC adjustable track bar. Will it hit? Is there one that won't?

Also searching on the forum I realized I may have a worn bushing on my trackbar as I noticed (hard not to) going over railroad tracks yesterday that the whole front end wobbled until I slowed down so I may pick it up earlier. I haven't looked at it yet but will this afternoon.

rikkards is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #872 of 1784 Old 03-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 24,169
Unlimited04 is offline  
post #873 of 1784 Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 AM
rikkards
Web Wheeler
 
rikkards's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,131
Well that sucks then. Although it doesn't mention if he had bumpstop extensions and looking at the kit it doesn't include any. The Zone 3" has 2" extensions so would it still? Reading futher it sounds like possibly not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
rikkards is offline  
post #874 of 1784 Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 24,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
Well that sucks then. Although it doesn't mention if he had bumpstop extensions and looking at the kit it doesn't include any. The Zone 3" has 2" extensions so would it still? Reading futher it sounds like possibly not?
If you run 2" bumpstop extensions the track bar to get is the Currie TJS or TJJ model.
Unlimited04 is offline  
post #875 of 1784 Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
I have to confess 22 pages is a lot to read and since it is a pretty old thread what may have happened in the beginning may no longer be true.
This thread is so old it has gotten at least 1 post every day, sometimes over 20....

everthing in it still stands, no aftermarket part has been put into production that doesn't require a minimum of 2" extension, so, if your front shocks are less than 15.5" collapsed length, and you don't have 2" extensions, the bars will make contact during susension compression, it prematurely wears out hiems and or breaks them, even the 22mm Tre's don't survive repeated beatings. it doesn't matter if the bar is solid, what good is the 3/4" hiem in the end of it when it's scrubbing the cover adjusted out half way, the bar will flex and the threads will eventually bend and/or break.

I've already put the challenge out, I realize I'm just a NOBODY, but I at least check every thing in an unhurried meticulous manner with the springs removed before I call it good, If RC, JKS, Currie, Iron Rock, RE, BDS, or anyone I left out has one that fits with less than 2" bumpstop extension, I havent' seen it yet,

I will say JKS has one that fits with 1.5" extension and also clears a Riddler cover, I do not know the specific part# BUT if you run high steer, flipped TRE, or less than 1.5" extension it will flex the Tie Rod out as it passes and get hooked on it. I know this simply because one was sent to me and I tried it's fittment.
The other major complaint I have about aftermarket bars is the polly bushings. They may be fine for a street car you don't want flexing, but used on a jeep track bar or control arms where Flexibility is the goal, they wear out very fast and can harm the brackets and bolts. there is nothing better than factory molded rubber bushings in that application.

I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline  
post #876 of 1784 Old 03-11-2011, 10:11 AM
rikkards
Web Wheeler
 
rikkards's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,131
THanks for the response makes sense.
In my case I am pretty much a once a month offroader so the Currie may be a bit overkill for what I need. Also my steering is stock except for the Durnago steering box. It too would be stock if the original hadn't started leaking.

So basically if I have 2" bumpstop extensions I should be ok with the RC, JKS as well as the Currie models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
This thread is so old it has gotten at least 1 post every day, sometimes over 20....

everthing in it still stands, no aftermarket part has been put into production that doesn't require a minimum of 2" extension, so, if your front shocks are less than 15.5" collapsed length, and you don't have 2" extensions, the bars will make contact during susension compression, it prematurely wears out hiems and or breaks them, even the 22mm Tre's don't survive repeated beatings. it doesn't matter if the bar is solid, what good is the 3/4" hiem in the end of it when it's scrubbing the cover adjusted out half way, the bar will flex and the threads will eventually bend and/or break.

I've already put the challenge out, I realize I'm just a NOBODY, but I at least check every thing in an unhurried meticulous manner with the springs removed before I call it good, If RC, JKS, Currie, Iron Rock, RE, BDS, or anyone I left out has one that fits with less than 2" bumpstop extension, I havent' seen it yet,

I will say JKS has one that fits with 1.5" extension and also clears a Riddler cover, I do not know the specific part# BUT if you run high steer, flipped TRE, or less than 1.5" extension it will flex the Tie Rod out as it passes and get hooked on it. I know this simply because one was sent to me and I tried it's fittment.
The other major complaint I have about aftermarket bars is the polly bushings. They may be fine for a street car you don't want flexing, but used on a jeep track bar or control arms where Flexibility is the goal, they wear out very fast and can harm the brackets and bolts. there is nothing better than factory molded rubber bushings in that application.
rikkards is offline  
post #877 of 1784 Old 03-14-2011, 02:19 PM
rikkards
Web Wheeler
 
rikkards's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,131
Ordered the Currie TJJ Track bar since I developed Death wobble.
rikkards is offline  
post #878 of 1784 Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 PM
EricsGreen98Tj
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Elkins
Posts: 2,135
You got DW after you installed the Zone 3" lift? Did you replace the OEM steering stabilizer? Are the OEM bushings in your CA's worn out? Curious cause i didnt have ANY negative side effects of the Zone 3" kit....

Building my junk with more junk, so Im always on the look out for more junk....Free to cheap preferably. :D
My junk http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/survivor-project-driveway-frame-swap-33s-build-1280626/index3.html
EricsGreen98Tj is offline  
post #879 of 1784 Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 PM
rikkards
Web Wheeler
 
rikkards's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,131
Sorry have explained further. Not getting the Zone lift until next month (too much snow on the ground to do it in the driveway). I was entertaining getting an adjustable track bar instead of drilling but coincidentally I developed a bumpsteer last Thursday and today I exeperienced DW. The SS was replaced 2 years ago and I put in newer CAs (they were free) last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
You got DW after you installed the Zone 3" lift? Did you replace the OEM steering stabilizer? Are the OEM bushings in your CA's worn out? Curious cause i didnt have ANY negative side effects of the Zone 3" kit....
rikkards is offline  
post #880 of 1784 Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,977






I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline  
post #881 of 1784 Old 03-14-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
Sorry have explained further. Not getting the Zone lift until next month (too much snow on the ground to do it in the driveway). I was entertaining getting an adjustable track bar instead of drilling but coincidentally I developed a bumpsteer last Thursday and today I exeperienced DW. The SS was replaced 2 years ago and I put in newer CAs (they were free) last year.
Never assume DW is caused by the trackbar, check everything including tire pressure, ball joints, and unit bearings. tossing on a stabilizer is not a cure even tho many cases go away from a new one. if your CA's have polly bushings, they need to go. always use stock clevite type bushing for CA's unless you have JJ's or an equivilant type of flex joint. CA bushings are never the cause In my experience but do contribute....

lets not clutter this thread with DW Issues PLEASE

I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline  
post #882 of 1784 Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 AM
rikkards
Web Wheeler
 
rikkards's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,131
Sorry Checklist below:
Tire Pressure is fine
Ball Joints replaced 2 years ago and are fine
Unit bearings replaced 1-2 years ago
Didn't think it was the SS
Control Arms are stock
Oh and this explains Death wobble really well:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/g...wobble-966829/

Back on topic. (anyone else have questions or comments about above) PM me.

Decided to go with the Currie TJJ Track Bar since I am doing the Zone 3". It comes with the 2" bumpstop extensions. From what I have read on this forum especially in this thread the Currie Track Bars are best for not hitting the diff cover on lower lifts. Would have got the TJS but was able to find the TJJ for $20 more. Once I have it all together I will see about getting a picture of the clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
Never assume DW is caused by the trackbar, check everything including tire pressure, ball joints, and unit bearings. tossing on a stabilizer is not a cure even tho many cases go away from a new one. if your CA's have polly bushings, they need to go. always use stock clevite type bushing for CA's unless you have JJ's or an equivilant type of flex joint. CA bushings are never the cause In my experience but do contribute....
rikkards is offline  
post #883 of 1784 Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,977
Rough country Track bar...... needs more bend to get around the stock diff cover, the Tj is sitting on 1" bumpstop extension. also needs another bend at the axle end to keep it from binding on the axle bracket.





I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline  
post #884 of 1784 Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,977
continued from yesterday.....

full compression, sitting on the bumpstop bell with the tires straight.



same as above but the steering is at full lock to the left...




this tells us we can't relocate the track bar bar bracket forward without having it run into the steering at full compression..


I use a stock track bar for reference when bending my bars.












1/2" axle end clevite.... compared to RC" polly two piece 10MM



The mix.... stock, JKS WJ, My hand bent, and RC


I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline  
post #885 of 1784 Old 03-15-2011, 09:59 PM
SpeedJeep
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 1,501
ok mudb8, when will that be available for us mere mortals? lol

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
SpeedJeep is offline  
Reply

Tags
tj , track bar

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
how important are front and rear adjustable track bars? travk1234 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 09-02-2009 08:01 AM
Adjustable track bars Aiden80013 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 8 05-17-2009 03:07 PM
adjustable track bars jr1966 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 03-17-2008 04:15 AM
RE Adjustable Front Track Bar and a 2" BB... ? thejafe TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 01-01-2006 10:25 AM
Best Adjustable track bars kaybone TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 02-24-2005 06:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome