tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 58 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit?

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 02-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #856
slafferty
2000 TJ Wrangler 

or resell the the rc bar and drill the axle brack hole over a little bit and use the stock bar

'00 TJ, 4.0, nv3550 spd, E-lockers Front and Rear, 4.88 gears. Homebuilt Bumpers/ tube doors.. Homebuilt Long Arm in the making... 35 inch MT-R's ordered[QUOTE=RUBtjICON;9622056]If you arent scratching it, you arent trying hard enough :tea:[/QUOTE]

[U][I][B]MY BUILD THREAD[/B][/I][/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="4"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
slafferty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #857
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thats the thing.... at 2"- 3" lift it is only off 1/4" - 3/8"

Where do you drill it so its not just an oval or to close to the original.
Unread 02-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #858
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you can weld, fill the hole. Then redrill it where it needs to be.

I redrilled mine, there was about 1/4" of metal between the holes. Recently i filled the hole and then ground the weld smooth.

This weekend i sold my lift so i had to redrill the stock hole and fill the "adjusted" hole...What fun
Unread 02-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #859
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

This is for those that say their track bar clears when flexing.

Drivers side bumpstop stuffed, shocks disconnected:

Not even close to the "SOLI" lettering, right? Now lets look at full bump:

diff cover grind/cut/weld work:

Welp, mine clears the tie-rod & modified diff cover and the "custom" track bar with 1-3/8" bumpstop
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #860
ZachAttack923
1997 TJ Wrangler 

after seeing the aluminium diff cover thread in tj tech, and seeing some post of why they are cool, but not needed, and that the stock covers are good enough with minor reinforcement.

i thought to my self the stock cover gives the most clearance between the trac bar the the cover so why not run an adjustable trac bar and the stock cover?

well everyone says that the stock cover may as well be tin foil, thus why not just beef it up, most of us have axcess to a welder, or a friend who has one, if not there are a couple of companys that sell stock covers than they have welded plate on to the lower half. thse still give the trac bar all the clearence possible, and are reinforced for those who drive by brail.

also i thinks its a load of crap saying that a cover beefs up the housing, it may be true but will you really stress the housing to the point that it will crack and that an aftermarket cover(riddler, crane, ect) would of saved it(if you can prove me wrong with pics and facts do so)

i also have never seen someone that has hit the upper half of their diff cover(please prove me wrong) thus if you run a beefed up stock cover you will be protected and have tons of clearance for the trac bar.

now i know that we all have our own solutions and reasons why ours is the best.

for me i dented my stock cover this past black friday while at rausch creek while on snakebite, thus i picked up a stock cover from the junkyard for $10 and this summer while i do my yearly fluid change im gonna beef up my new cover with some scrap, some new bolts to hold it on and some spray paint to make it look nice. i will also have tons of clearance for my new currie trac bar and i will still have only extended my my front bump stops 3/4" for a 3in lift

for those of you who have modified, their aftermarket covers, thats fine as i will be modifying a cover that cost me $10 and than maybe $10 in scrap steel, thus i can make 5 covers for the cost of your one cover that you than have to go and modify

this is my solution and if you can prove to me that it will not work do so with pics
2.5L Low Output #923
White Jeep Club #923
1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L AX-5 D30/35 4.10 gears
31in Wildcat A/T's
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_niko View Post
I would be as nervous as a virgin on prom night if I had to drive that
ZachAttack923 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #861
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachAttack923 View Post
i also have never seen someone that has hit the upper half of their diff cover(please prove me wrong)

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #862
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
Picture
Was that caused by the track bar? I believe he meant nothing on the trail has contacted the top half of the dif cover.
Sobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #863
SBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobie View Post
Was that caused by the track bar? I believe he meant nothing on the trail has contacted the top half of the dif cover.
Yep, that's what he meant. The top of the diff can't come down on a boulder. It's an impossibility. That's why they make the bottom half protection guards.
The top is completely unneccessary to protect and eats up clearance between suspension and steering components.
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #864
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah but they sure look cool!And are cheap too.
Unread 03-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #865
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachAttack923 View Post
well everyone says that the stock cover may as well be tin foil
Everyone says this? If I'm not mistaken one of the most respected members on this board is regularly pretty vocal about how stock covers are absolutely fine. Your proposed mod sounds a lot like the T&J covers. Making one myself wasn't an option for me, but very happy with it.
Unread 03-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #866
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone Care to guess what This front track bar used to be?

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 03-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #867
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:

I dunno. But is the lower mount re-located farther outward, too?
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #868
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

The reason I'm asking mudb8 is because, as you probably remember, I had been planning to pull the upper frame mount farther outward to help with the trig with my full-width Dana 60's pinion clearance with the frame...

You had said months ago to avoid the hastle and move the lower outward instead.

Thanks and Cheers to ya.
Unread 03-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #869
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

Quote:
Looks kinda like a reworked rear track bar.
Sobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #870
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobie View Post
Looks kinda like a reworked rear track bar.

LOL, yep, but ya prolly cheated and read the post in the other thread?

I was in need of something to put in so the rig could be moved around the shop while the custom bar is getting new red powdercoating on it...

the Rear track bar rebent for the front is not going to be an option used without over 2+" bumpstop extension (guessing of course, but based on what I do know from other aftermarket track bars that are bent nearly exactly the same), but could work just fine on lifts over 4" with proper bumpstop extension. just think of what size bolt is used on the rear compared to the stock front track bars not to mention it's a molded rubber press in bushing, not one of the two piece, pieces of crap most manufacturers are using for ease of installation that last a whole month or so before you end up with the shakes again.... Frankly, I'm suprised to see Currie and JKS has been using as well. There was a cutomer's Dodge 2500 Ram in the shop a few months ago I installed a lift on, it came back with a nasty case of DW, I found the two piece bushings to be egged out, What I used to replace them with were the Frame end bushings off of a couple JK front track bars I had laying around.(I was in a pinch had to come up with something fast) I talked to the manufacture about it since they are just down the street and told them what I had done, a couple weeks later the customer comes back with some new bushings from the manufacture made of a much harder durometer which he requested I replace the jeep bushings with. so, it lasted a whole trip to seattle and started shaking again, now I get to put my original JK bushing fix back in the big Dodge truck... Now, why in the heck people think the aftermarket polly bushings are an upgrade from stock molded rubber bushings is beyond my comprehension especially when they are used in a location that we need to have all the flex/range of motion we can get like a Johny Joint offers but can't have/dont want the bars flopping around, the polly bushings used in that application is just a recipe for problems including bent broken bracketry.

Anyhow enough of my rambling, I went back to the bender twice before I had enough angle/bend to make the bar the correct length, worked pretty good and the steering wheel center is barely off... Initially I was going to slip a WJ grand stock track bar in there but it was a bit long and I really diddn't want to bend up one of my spares.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Tags
tj , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.