tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Reply
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #781
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by slafferty View Post
mudb8. do you remember the diameter of the stock track bar? I'm going to cut them and sleeve them when i finish my 4" long arm in the near future, have everything ready except the currie jj's and trackbars lenghtened
The Stock trackbar is 1.060" diameter so you end up drilling out the tube or grinding the trackbar to fit... you could make it work, it'll need a bend near the axle mount tho..

A 4" is actually to much for the stock trackbar, the axle end will bind up on the axle bracket before the TRE at the frame end runs out of articulation. I mostly just redrill the mounts but keep the shock length limited to 8.5" travel. With your 4" long arm I'd want to be running at least 12" travel shocks for that.

__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #782
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by securekey View Post
I have been following along... interesting thread. I would like to add that I have the new BDS adjustable trac bar and it fits perfectly. I have a rubicon with a 2" lift. I tried... and there is no way possible it can hit the diff cover... I will try and post a few pics.

The shape of it is identical to the stock one... just had to re-drill the lower mount a bit larger.
I'd like to see your pics.....
I have one of the BDS adjustable track bars here..... Tested with the springs removed it DOES in fact hit the diff without bumpstop extension.
__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #783
Gary2
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,451
I understand the TRE isn't maxed out quite yet but I hate to see someone modify things to use the OE bar only to wear out the TRE soon after because it is not working at the correct angle just by driving on the highway . Been through that years ago On my Dodge rams . Lift the truck and not long after death wobble from the TRE of the TB giving up . Made one ton steering and ate up TREs at the pitman drag link end , put a slight bend in the Drag link to flatten out the angle and never changed the end again . OE type TREs last longer when they are closer to 90 degrees. I know Mudb8 understands all of this but I am sure someone my not of picked up on this yet . It took me a while to figure out why these supposed to be so great one ton ends were not lasting as long as my OE 1/2 ton ends did .
__________________
O5 Rubi TJ, 3" BDS, Currie Currectlync, Rokmen BL , Savvy control arms w/Mc Duroflex Joints, JJ's lower front arms , Bilstein 5100, 33" Cooper STTs, Mc Track Bar
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #784
securekey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
I'd like to see your pics.....
I have one of the BDS adjustable track bars here..... Tested with the springs removed it DOES in fact hit the diff without bumpstop extension.
Do you have the ''new" design? Apparently they reshaped it about a year ago when they were running into all the trouble with them breaking (I have no proof of that just what I was told)

I wonder if they fixed it?

I will take pics as soon as I can.. pretty cold and snowy up here :P I am actually going to take pics of my whole front setup... I would really appreciate your opinion on the set up.
securekey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #785
Mike_Motorbike
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: State of Confusion Ca.
Posts: 571
Hmmm is their hope?
http://www.bds-suspension.com/produc...&mo=32&yr=2001


Quote:
Originally Posted by
BDS track bars and track bar relocation kits are precison engineered and crafted from heavy duty parts. All kits come complete with brackets and harware for easy of installation.

Important Tech Spec

All track bar relocation kits are designed for a specific lift height and should ONLY be used with the kit heights listed.


Oops!..... NOPE FAILl!! Although I wonder if these instructions are for the old track bar?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by
pRe-installation notes
Note 1: At least 2” of bump stop must be installed on each side of the front axle to work with this kit and to eliminate any possibility of the
track bar contacting other components at full compression. Rubicon models require 3” of bump stop. When combining this track bar
with different manufacturer’s suspension systems it is recommended that the coils be removed and reinstalled after the suspension is
cycled completely to ensure there is no contact.
__________________
JEEPING .....The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowy heading nowhere and taking all day to do it.....
2001 TJ 31"s 4.0L Auto , Blue , Soft Top , Full Doors. Home made BB 1 3/4" front 1" back...quick discos
Mike_Motorbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #786
Fargo
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 2,979
When I was speaking with someone at BDS several months ago they said theirs will hit. The guy I spoke with actually recommended the JKS. But we all know that hits too. But the only way to really know is to have someone test it for us. Just in case the new design DID solve the problem.
__________________
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #787
bgmadmxr
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 96
As I was planning for my build I was following this thread closely. As a result of all the information here I had ordered the 2" bumpstops and had them ready just in case. I was pleasantly surprized with the results when I was finishing the lift. As we all know every Jeep is a little different so take my results and the pictures however you like. It clears but is very close, if you have an upgraded tierod I could see it possibly contacting there. If you have a larger diff cover I could see it hitting that as well. The lift is OME 2930 springs/60047 shocks front, 2949 springs/60049 shocks rear. JKS adjustable arms, front lower set approx 1/4" longer than stock, front upper set at stock. JKS adjustable track bars front and rear. If I remember correctly it gave me 6.7 degrees caster when I had it alligned.
The pictures are after I installed everything, centered the axle, removed the springs and set it on the bumpstops. So far it drives like a dream, I have not had the chance to wheel it yet.
Thanks to Mudb8 for all the information provided on the forum!




bgmadmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #788
greg_kulosa
Registered User
 
greg_kulosa's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SF Bay area, CA
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmadmxr View Post
As I was planning for my build I was following this thread closely. As a result of all the information here I had ordered the 2" bumpstops and had them ready just in case. I was pleasantly surprized with the results when I was finishing the lift. As we all know every Jeep is a little different so take my results and the pictures however you like. It clears but is very close, if you have an upgraded tierod I could see it possibly contacting there. If you have a larger diff cover I could see it hitting that as well. The lift is OME 2930 springs/60047 shocks front, 2949 springs/60049 shocks rear. JKS adjustable arms, front lower set approx 1/4" longer than stock, front upper set at stock. JKS adjustable track bars front and rear. If I remember correctly it gave me 6.7 degrees caster when I had it alligned.
The pictures are after I installed everything, centered the axle, removed the springs and set it on the bumpstops. So far it drives like a dream, I have not had the chance to wheel it yet.
Thanks to Mudb8 for all the information provided on the forum!
Just to confirm - you are saying that yours clears with no bump stop extension at all?

Why did you need to set the uppers 1/4" longer than stock? To fix caster? Or for clearance of the track bar?

Do you also have a body lift? Otherwise I would think you would need bumpstop extensions just to keep the tires out of the fenders.

The setup in your profile is almost exactly what I have in mind for my rig, so I am very curious. And I have a 2005 LJ as well.

Thanks for the information.
greg_kulosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #789
bgmadmxr
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_kulosa View Post
Just to confirm - you are saying that yours clears with no bump stop extension at all?

Why did you need to set the uppers 1/4" longer than stock? To fix caster? Or for clearance of the track bar?

Do you also have a body lift? Otherwise I would think you would need bumpstop extensions just to keep the tires out of the fenders.

The setup in your profile is almost exactly what I have in mind for my rig, so I am very curious. And I have a 2005 LJ as well.

Thanks for the information.
Correct-no bumpstop extension
Actually it was the lowers longer than stock, just for caster.
Yes I have a 1" body lift, and the tires being 33x10.5 help with the fender clearance.
bgmadmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #790
greg_kulosa
Registered User
 
greg_kulosa's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SF Bay area, CA
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmadmxr View Post
Correct-no bumpstop extension
Actually it was the lowers longer than stock, just for caster.
Yes I have a 1" body lift, and the tires being 33x10.5 help with the fender clearance.
Great! Thanks and that is good news.
greg_kulosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #791
slafferty
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kimbolton, Ohio
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
A 4" is actually to much for the stock trackbar, the axle end will bind up on the axle bracket before the TRE at the frame end runs out of articulation. I mostly just redrill the mounts but keep the shock length limited to 8.5" travel. With your 4" long arm I'd want to be running at least 12" travel shocks for that.
My shocks are bilstein 5100's I'm not sure on the travel, bought them used on here the guy said they were for a 4". I'll have to get out the tape measure
__________________
'00 TJ, 4.0, nv3550 spd, E-lockers Front and Rear, 4.88 gears. Homebuilt Bumpers/ tube doors.. Homebuilt Long Arm in the making... 35 inch MT-R's ordered[QUOTE=RUBtjICON;9622056]If you arent scratching it, you arent trying hard enough :tea:[/QUOTE]

[U][I][B]MY BUILD THREAD[/B][/I][/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="4"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
slafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #792
securekey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 33
I did not get a bracket relocation with the BDS trac bar... just the bar. But yes it looks like the one in the picture. I will take pictures tonight.

We flexed it out and it was not even close to contacting the diff cover... I know the major concern is a 'dip' in the highway etc... where both sides go down.. tough to test that without disconnecting things but I will try.

I do have ACOS spacers in the front.. not sure of their bumpstop length. Perhaps that is the reason it doesn't hit. ??? no idea.

But I don't want to give false information... so anyone reading this... please let me test it further and take pics etc before you buy anything based on my post.
securekey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #793
Mike_Motorbike
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: State of Confusion Ca.
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmadmxr View Post
The rubber part of the bumpstop should (WILL on impact) compress fully into the bumpstop cup...
What lift do you have?

If you are running the 2"-3" lift shocks.... From some research I have done You should be running a 3/4" bumpstop spacer in the front.. and 3/8" in the back . I think you may be bottoming out on your shocks.... It could be very bad for them if this is the case...

How to find out your bumpstop spacer requirements.vvv
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...hocks-1114872/

Some shock length info . vvv
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sh...ngths-1000442/

I don't know for sure but if the OME shocks are what is listed on the net then it is.

By the way.
Thanks It looks to me like the JKS Bar clears and I may have an option after all.
Which JKS bar did you use?
__________________
JEEPING .....The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowy heading nowhere and taking all day to do it.....
2001 TJ 31"s 4.0L Auto , Blue , Soft Top , Full Doors. Home made BB 1 3/4" front 1" back...quick discos
Mike_Motorbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #794
stjjames
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 585
Mine fits, I could run whatever cover I want - I'd venture, it's straight & it was less than $100 all together

Full bump



Plus it has 'proper' geometry . . . Though I haven't finished the mounts, nor burned it in yet.



Everything Juuust lines up at full Bump

__________________
P.A.O.
Beauty comes with Dark Thoughts
stjjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #795
Rubicon_Rob04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: indiana
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Motorbike View Post
The rubber part of the bumpstop should (WILL on impact) compress fully into the bumpstop cup...What lift do you have?

If you are running the 2"-3" lift shocks.... From some research I have done You should be running a 3/4" bumpstop spacer in the front.. and 3/8" in the back . I think you may be bottoming out on your shocks.... It could be very bad for them if this is the case...

How to find out your bumpstop spacer requirements.vvv
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...hocks-1114872/

Some shock length info . vvv
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sh...ngths-1000442/

I don't know for sure but if the OME shocks are what is listed on the net then it is.

By the way.
Thanks It looks to me like the JKS Bar clears and I may have an option after all.
Which JKS bar did you use?

This is a very important point that is being made.
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tj , track bar
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.