tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 11-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #721
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok Mud you are the man to ask it seems. I just installed a 1.25" Zone BL,1" Brown Dog MML, and am goin to be puttin a Zone 3" suspension kit with 33/10.50 BFG KM2's. what bump stop length and TB options do you suggest on a 98tj 2.5?

Also a regear is in order

Thanks I ask cause i want to do this right the first time cause my kids ride/wheel with me.

MEAN diesel BTW!!!

Unread 11-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #722
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK I just read through the entire 49 pages. (Not all at one time though).

From what I have read and understand, I have basically two ideas that I think could be made into production. Since I don't want to be drilling out my holes and the stock track bar seems to be the strongest, both ideas involve modifying the stock trac bar.

The first idea has been stated a couple of times already. To build this tracbar, you would cut the factory trac bars and machine them to use an adjustable sleeve. This keeps all factory mounting locations and gives you adjustability and at the same time will work with factory bumpstops and diff covers. You can find factory trac bars at Quadratech for $65. Original Replacement Parts 52007118 - Front Track Bar for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited & 91-01 Cherokee XJ - Quadratec It would seem to me that someone should be able to purchase these in bulk for a discount, cut them and sleeve them and be able to sell them for well under $150 and still make a profit.

My second idea is to forget about adjustability. We are all looking for a tracbar that accomadates a 2" lift. If I'm not mistaken 2" lifts are causing the axles to be offset by about 3/8" to 1/2". So all we need is a track bar that is 1/4" longer than factory. This trackbar could even be used with a 3" lift. Although some axles would still be off by a fraction.

As I've already pointed out, Quadratech is selling stock tracbars for $65. You know they are making a profit on these things. That means that someone is building the factory tracbars for about $30-$40. So if someone that owns a 4x4 shop/website wants to make a profit on a low cost trac bar for a 2" lift the there is a simple 3 step solution.

1) Find out who is building the $65 tracbars at quadratec
2) Have them build a few hundred to your specs (Same as OEM but 1/4" longer)
3) Sell them at your store.

It would seem to me that even ordering in a small quantity (say 200+/-) this company should be able to build a tracbar to OEM specs but 1/4" longer. This would probably be the strongest bar out there since there are no weak joints to flex or break, and it would likely be the cheapest.

I really think a solid tracbar designed for a 2" lift would be a reasonable compromise. Especially if people could pick them up for around $100. Everybody with a 2" BB would be all over these things. So would those with 2" LCG builds. Someone like MudB8 or Savvy could sellthese things things all day long. If I had a 4x4 shop, I would seriously look into outsourcing the production of a solid tracbar for a 2" lift. Sure adjustability is nice. But I would rather have strength at a good price. I could deal with being off 1/8"-1/4" and I think with the right length solid bar, that is all anyone with a 2-2.5" lift would be off. Just something to think about.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #723
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't hurt to have the TRE of the bar angled slightly so it is at the same angle it was before being lifted that way the force exerted on it will be more horizontal which would make the end last longer and while they are at it they could add the 1/4" of added length right there and kill 2 birds with one stone. I had noticed in the past that my Dodge trucks OE track bar would die as soon as the truck was lifted a little which told me the TRE didn't like any angle and that bar looked like a larger version of what a TJ uses.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #724
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post

From what I have read and understand, I have basically two ideas that I think could be made into production. Since I don't want to be drilling out my holes and the stock track bar seems to be the strongest, both ideas involve modifying the stock trac bar.

The first idea has been stated a couple of times already. To build this tracbar, you would cut the factory trac bars and machine them to use an adjustable sleeve. This keeps all factory mounting locations and gives you adjustability and at the same time will work with factory bumpstops and diff covers. You can find factory trac bars at Quadratech for $65. Original Replacement Parts 52007118 - Front Track Bar for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited & 91-01 Cherokee XJ - Quadratec It would seem to me that someone should be able to purchase these in bulk for a discount, cut them and sleeve them and be able to sell them for well under $150 and still make a profit.

My second idea is to forget about adjustability. We are all looking for a tracbar that accomadates a 2" lift. If I'm not mistaken 2" lifts are causing the axles to be offset by about 3/8" to 1/2". So all we need is a track bar that is 1/4" longer than factory. This trackbar could even be used with a 3" lift. Although some axles would still be off by a fraction.

As I've already pointed out, Quadratech is selling stock tracbars for $65. You know they are making a profit on these things. That means that someone is building the factory tracbars for about $30-$40. So if someone that owns a 4x4 shop/website wants to make a profit on a low cost trac bar for a 2" lift the there is a simple 3 step solution.

It would seem to me that even ordering in a small quantity (say 200+/-) this company should be able to build a tracbar to OEM specs but 1/4" longer. This would probably be the strongest bar out there since there are no weak joints to flex or break, and it would likely be the cheapest.

I really think a solid tracbar designed for a 2" lift would be a reasonable compromise. Especially if people could pick them up for around $100. Everybody with a 2" BB would be all over these things. So would those with 2" LCG builds. Someone like MudB8 or Savvy could sellthese things things all day long. If I had a 4x4 shop, I would seriously look into outsourcing the production of a solid tracbar for a 2" lift. Sure adjustability is nice. But I would rather have strength at a good price. I could deal with being off 1/8"-1/4" and I think with the right length solid bar, that is all anyone with a 2-2.5" lift would be off. Just something to think about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
Wouldn't hurt to have the TRE of the bar angled slightly so it is at the same angle it was before being lifted that way the force exerted on it will be more horizontal which would make the end last longer and while they are at it they could add the 1/4" of added length right there and kill 2 birds with one stone. I had noticed in the past that my Dodge trucks OE track bar would die as soon as the truck was lifted a little which told me the TRE didn't like any angle and that bar looked like a larger version of what a TJ uses.
one of the things I do to the stock track bars is rebend them which involves stretching it out and angling the TRE, problem with that is guys that are running over 9" travel shocks still have a binding problem from the straight bar at the Axle mount.....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #725
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think you can get the Super Lift adjustable that fits 2" to 4" for around $140.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post

Unread 11-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #726
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige2533 View Post
I think you can get the Super Lift adjustable that fits 2" to 4" for around $140.
Yeah, but what good is it if it hits with stock bumpstops? I'd rather run my stock bar. The point of my post wasn't to get mudb8 to build us all cheap track bars. There are plenty of cheap track bars out there. The point of my post was to give Mudb8 another idea on how he might be able to solve the rubbing issue and at the same time produce a track bar for all of us that works and is profitable for him to make/sell. My priority is a tracbar that works and does not hit the diff cover. I will to spend the going rate for a QUALITY tracbar if it works properly. But I don't want to spend $200 for one that rubs. Infact I don't want to spend $50 for one that rubs. If it rubs its no good in my opinion. I'll stick with factory until a suitable tracbar is built. Whether its adjustable or fixed, I don't really care. Just get me in the ballpark. I can live with being off a little. Besides if its a fixed bar I can always add a spacer to bring my Jeep up to the proper height for the fixed trac bar to work. Or I could add a winch if I am sitting too high.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #727
RedTeej
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a '00 TJ Sport, with RC 2.5" coils all around with 1" spacers up front giving a total of 3.5" of lift up front. Just tonight I disco'd my sway bar and jacked up the front driver side to see if my trackbar hit (Rough country adjustable, for lifts 0-3.5") an it does not hit the stock diff cover. It began coming close, but hit the stock bumpstops before it could make any contact.
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #728
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did you compress the jounce bumpers fully until the metal cup contacted the axle pad?

Also, does this TB use the small drop bracket on the frame end?
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #729
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The point is to see if the tracbar hits when both the front springs are compressed. Like when you hit a speed bump or something. Most wont hit with only one side compressed, you gotta do both at once or take the springs out and check.
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #730
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If any one would like that same model bar I have one with maybe 400 miles on it . It does have a bracket that only provides a mount for a bushing instead of the OE TRE, not anything that requires a DPA liketheir 4" and higher Tbar which does require a DPA . The frame mount moves the bar forward of the OE mount and the bar has a curve to it which should clear the cover .
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #731
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Why aren't you using it then, if "in theory" it don't hit? reason i ask is that i was thinkin of installin this same tracbar when i put my zone 3" suspension lift on. I was also gonna put 3/4" spacers in the front.

Just curious
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #732
RedTeej
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I'll check that. I'm intrigued with all of this track bar talk. I'm in the process of moving up to 33's, and getting the TJ to be able to handle a cross-country trip to California for a few months to visit a buddy, and to be able to handle some of the wheeling that can be found out there. Trying to build a sort of expedition/long range wheeler, and I'm doing a ton of research on this stuff. My RC 2.2 shocks just aren't cutting it, so I'm looking at switching to OME shocks, unless I find my trackbar does indeed hit the diff cover, in which case I may actually end up going with another higher kit. A trackbar failure 2,000 miles from home with my girlfriend in the front seat is the last thing I want to have happen on my trip. I'm thinking about going out and renting a spring compressor now to do this right... either that or having a bunch of people stand on my bumper tonight. I'll get back to you guys.
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #733
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

cool that's the bar i want to run too, so any feedback will be great!!!!
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #734
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
Why aren't you using it then, if "in theory" it don't hit? reason i ask is that i was thinkin of installin this same tracbar when i put my zone 3" suspension lift on. I was also gonna put 3/4" spacers in the front.

Just curious
I have a JKS that is fine for me so far. I only use my jeep for fishing nothing that really twists up the suspension like the guys on rocks do .
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #735
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
I have a JKS that is fine for me so far. I only use my jeep for fishing nothing that really twists up the suspension like the guys on rocks do .
Couldn't a seam or bump in the road that compresses both springs cause the same scenario? In fact I think it would be worse since it would be at speed instead of slowly crawling...
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tj , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.