tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 43 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-15-2010, 03:10 AM   #631
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I guess i need a new rear track bar since my 3.5" lift has caused my drivers side rear tire to scrape against my spring perch on occasion.

anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #632
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
I guess i need a new rear track bar since my 3.5" lift has caused my drivers side rear tire to scrape against my spring perch on occasion.
wow ... your axle must be off center a lot!
If you have a rear TB relocation bracket and stock TB in the rear you should be fine with around 3" lift,
BUT if you have a fresh RE 3.5 lift ... well hehehe ... their springs give you quite more than 3.5 AT THE BEGINNING (around 4" point something) ... they might settle down to ~3.5 after a while.

And/Or you are running wheels with close to stock back spacing ... (5.5")
wider tires require less backspacing ... the usual range is 4.5" to 3.65".

so : an adjustable in the rear gives you some flexibility over your lift life cycle
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #633
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
If you have a rear TB relocation bracket and stock TB in the rear you should be fine with around 3" lift,
BUT if you have a fresh RE 3.5 lift ... well hehehe ... their springs give you quite more than 3.5 AT THE BEGINNING (around 4" point something) ... they might settle down to ~3.5 after a while.

so : an adjustable in the rear gives you some flexibility over your lift life cycle
well i have 33/12.5" on stock 16" Rubi wheels, and there is about 1/2" clearance on the drivers side, and 1.25" or so on the pass. side between the coil spring perch and the tire. I can see evidence of the tire rubbing on the drivers side on occasion. i'm not sure what I'll do to fix it yet.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 01:43 AM   #634
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:

the adjustable isn't exactly a good idea in the rear without a relocation bracket and shocks longer than 8.5" travel.... at full droop they bind on the stock bracket and can cause failure, like ripping it off the axle.

RE adjustable....

jks adjustable

Quote:
well i have 33/12.5" on stock 16" Rubi wheels, and there is about 1/2" clearance on the drivers side, and 1.25" or so on the pass. side between the coil spring perch and the tire. I can see evidence of the tire rubbing on the drivers side on occasion. i'm not sure what I'll do to fix it yet.

that's what happens using stock backspacing with 11.5" wide tires and no rear track bar relocation.... or wheel spacer, which is also an option but is far more expensive than a 35 dollar track bar relocation bracket.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #635
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just saw an adjustable track bar on a 2.5" ome lift with the n66 shocks, no bumpstop extensions, stock control arms, correct pinion angle, d30 stock diff cover, and centered axle not hit the trackbar on the diff cover. Im fairly certain it went to full bump with both front tires at the same time too, Theres not a hint of any contact on the diff cover, axle where bushing might hit, or the track bar.

It's a jks adjustable track bar, and it appears to be bent foreward to where it has plenty of clearance from the diff under full bump. I saw other pictures of the same or similar jks trackbar hitting in this thread, but this one doesnt. This leads me to either one of the two following conclusions reguarding the jks trackbars that were shown hitting in this thread. Either A: the suspension in the pictures with the trackbars hitting wasnt aligned properly, this particular rigs mounts might have been off from the factory (I have heard of jeep not being precise with the placement of mounts when building) or a combination of both.

So sounds like there is definatly hope for an adjustable track bar that works for under 3" of lift.
Unread 07-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #636
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
I just saw an adjustable track bar on a 2.5" ome lift with the n66 shocks, no bumpstop extensions, stock control arms, correct pinion angle, d30 stock diff cover, and centered axle not hit the trackbar on the diff cover. Im fairly certain it went to full bump with both front tires at the same time too, Theres not a hint of any contact on the diff cover, axle where bushing might hit, or the track bar.

It's a jks adjustable track bar, and it appears to be bent foreward to where it has plenty of clearance from the diff under full bump. I saw other pictures of the same or similar jks trackbar hitting in this thread, but this one doesnt. This leads me to either one of the two following conclusions reguarding the jks trackbars that were shown hitting in this thread. Either A: the suspension in the pictures with the trackbars hitting wasnt aligned properly, this particular rigs mounts might have been off from the factory (I have heard of jeep not being precise with the placement of mounts when building) or a combination of both.

So sounds like there is definatly hope for an adjustable track bar that works for under 3" of lift.
cool ... but do I want to "find" out ? Honestly : NO

btw I am wondering how the front pinion angle is parallel to the front TC OUTPUT yoke with the stock control arms with front sitting 2.5" higher than stock ... thats why I put adjustable front lowers to push my front diff a bit forward to have the front pinion angle LOWERD again.
Which of course increases the risk of hitting aftermarket TBs
(A slightly extended front wheel base is not bad at all with lifted Jeeps ... noticeably less harsh driving over small obstacles! Ahh ... the caster is then better as a nice side effect )
Unread 07-17-2010, 02:35 AM   #637
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
the adjustable isn't exactly a good idea in the rear without a relocation bracket and shocks longer than 8.5" travel.... at full droop they bind on the stock bracket and can cause failure, like ripping it off the axle.
oops ... somehow I was assuming he was using the TB relocation bracket already ... I really read the whole thread and saw those great pics posted before ... thanks a lot mudb8!

The knowledge and experience coming from a handful senior members in this forum make it so valuable ... how many bellies of different TJ builds did you see i your life?

I only saw my TJs belly close enough ...
I compensated the lack of first hand "experience" by thorough fully reading!
(many threads are worth it from start to end!)
Unread 07-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #638
JCWJEEP
2010 JK Wrangler 

Wow, Mudb8, that signature is a post unto itself. Reading your last post I got to the sig and kept going, the whole time wondering how it was relevant to the topic.

And you just won't stop scaring me about these adjustable track bars. Luckily my 8.8's bracket is open at the top.
Unread 07-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #639
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
cool ... but do I want to "find" out ? Honestly : NO

btw I am wondering how the front pinion angle is parallel to the front TC OUTPUT yoke with the stock control arms with front sitting 2.5" higher than stock ... thats why I put adjustable front lowers to push my front diff a bit forward to have the front pinion angle LOWERD again.
Which of course increases the risk of hitting aftermarket TBs
(A slightly extended front wheel base is not bad at all with lifted Jeeps ... noticeably less harsh driving over small obstacles! Ahh ... the caster is then better as a nice side effect )

Parallel? The diff yoke should be in line with the driveshaft. It's a cv shaft...

I'm not sure what you mean by parallel, but the stock arms with the cam bolts work just fine for correcting pinion angle...
Unread 07-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #640
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Parallel? The diff yoke should be in line with the driveshaft. It's a cv shaft...

I'm not sure what you mean by parallel, but the stock arms with the cam bolts work just fine for correcting pinion angle...

you are right ...

I dunno what I was thinking ... actually my front pinion angle is pointing towards the TC output yoke ... parallel to the main shaft ... maybe barely noticeable below but for sure not higher. The discussion caster versus pinion angle must have confused me at some points ... I mean I might have read somewhere that the TJ front DS is not really CV type or so ...
Unread 07-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #641
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

caster angle is reduced the more in line the the d-shaft is along with the more likelyhood of having the diff crash into/scrape the Track bar at full stuff.

basicly, 4* of caster has a near perfect driveline angle for a 3" lift but has the top of the diff in a bad position for a short lift and short or no bumpstop extension, not to mention makes a squirley driving TJ. 7* caster is still in a good position without vibes with a stock 03/up skid and has the top of the diff tilted inward and away from the track bar/brackets...

prime example from the use of a Fabtec front relocation bracket....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 07-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #642
john NC
1979 CJ5 

wow, great thread mudb8

i'm so glad i put off installing the JKS OGS126 in my tj. i'm just going to redrill the mount and have it welded

any idea if it will be fine for an XJ with 3" of lift and trimmed fenders? the xj won't see any trails just beach/dunes and roads. i'm going to extend the bumpstops 1" and see if they clear and add more if needed. building the jeep for my dad so i want the axle to be centered. it may get 31x10.5s and/or new wheels with less backspacing depending on the budget

it still needs to be cleaned up and repainted but i was just trying to get an idea of the ride height, i may trim some more as well. it's quite fun
xjmedium.jpg  
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #643
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john NC View Post
wow, great thread mudb8

i'm so glad i put off installing the JKS OGS126 in my tj. i'm just going to redrill the mount and have it welded

any idea if it will be fine for an XJ with 3" of lift and trimmed fenders? the xj won't see any trails just beach/dunes and roads. i'm going to extend the bumpstops 1" and see if they clear and add more if needed. building the jeep for my dad so i want the axle to be centered. it may get 31x10.5s and/or new wheels with less backspacing depending on the budget

it still needs to be cleaned up and repainted but i was just trying to get an idea of the ride height, i may trim some more as well. it's quite fun
the xj will still need to be bumpstoped, first of all, according to the shock length.... which means the 2" extensions will make way for the JKS track bar.

Nothin wrong with a little cuttin! but that's another topic for another thread.....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 07-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #644
john NC
1979 CJ5 

thanks man, may just redrill the mount on that one too
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #645
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Will the stock trackbar accommodate the extra flex (and droop) you'll get with a 2 or 3 inch lift when using that drop bracket?
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tj , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.