tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #16
MEnginerd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2008 View Post
i have a problem with mine.the 2'' bumpstops are too much imo.as far as front lca go i have the re fixed ones and cam bolts that have taken the lca all the way back to the end of their adjustment.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jks-adj-trackbar-hitting-dana-30-diff-cover-700145/

I had already started my response before I saw yours. There is some good info in your thread.

The OME lifts do NOT require front bumpstops to protect the springs or shocks in compression, unless you have the 'L' shocks intended for larger lifts.

However I completely agree with the others who pointed out that BUMP STOPS are the issue, nothing to do with spring brand or height.

-Brent

- 06 LJ Rubicon 34" LTB's / 33" MTZs, OME Springs/Shocks, RE FTB, JKS RTB & 1.25BL, Brown Dog MML, Fabtech F Bump, Warn M8000 on AtoZ plate, ORF R Bumper & Rack, AR CAI, Banks Catback, Hi-Lift, Midland 75-822, Dual MF1050 Comp, Clayton Skids, Kilby Gas Skid
- 94 Firebird Formula, 02 Softail Deuce, 86 GSXR750
- RIP 97 TJ, 83 CJ7, 87 TType
MEnginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
jrb470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB99TJ View Post
I would take that thing off immediately. I had the Rusty's and it did the same thing. It snapped and nearly killed me at 50+mph. You are gambling with your life and the life of anybody that rides in that Jeep. Do you enjoy eating through a straw?

This is not something you want to experiment with my friends. If it snaps, you LOSE your steering. You can hold on at low speeds, but if it snaps at higher speed on a little road dip like mine, you will need both sides of the road to stop...thats IF you don't roll first.

I tried to post the pic but it wont work. I just get the red x. Just look at the other threads on the Rusty's stuff and track bar.
Could you clarify....
Your Track Bar was hitting the diff cover from time to time as well?
Jeep Green

Rough Country 3.25" Suspension Lift
JKS 1.25" Body Lift & 1" Budget Motor Mount Lift
33x12.50/15 BFG All-Terrain's on 15x8 ProComp Series 51 w/ 3.75" BS
jrb470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #18
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I just put this on yesterday. Small or large bumps, it hits. Rough Country 7571 track bar for TJ with their 2.5" lift.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEnginerd View Post
I bought a rubicon express because of the known issue between JKS and the D44 cover. Unfortunately the RE has the same issue....

To make this discussion more valuable, I think it would help if people skip their lift height, and describe:
Bump Stop Extension Length
Controls arms (stock or modified length)
Diff model and cover brand if aftermarket
?Shock Length? (Might be nice to know, but I don't think droop on the passenger side matters here)
-Brent
thats exactly where I'm going with this.. shock length determines the amout of minumum bumpstops... I'm also looking for the different kits and combinations people are runniing and have issues or not..

I do belive if relocation brackets are used like clayton, re, and rough country's new one the problem will be eliminated for ther 2.5" lifts running 22.5" long shocks on stock bump stops..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
I just put this on yesterday. Small or large bumps, it hits. Rough Country 7571 track bar for TJ with their 2.5" lift.
thank you for the pic..
i'm suprised the rusty's hits on account of the kit having 24" long shocks, thats the equivilant of having about 2" bumpstops..

I'll see if I can get a response from rc about putting the tre'd track bar together with the relocation bracket and the bushed end they use on the 4"+ track bar..

I'm sure the rubbing is coming from full compression of both sides, not during articulation.. and prolly is hitting just enough to take the paint,.

the rancho bar I originally had which is the same shape and a cheap tre didn't rub but I also had 2" bumpstops and 25.5" long shocks.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #20
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
thank you for the pic..
i'm suprised the rusty's hits on account of the kit having 24" long shocks, thats the equivilant of having about 2" bumpstops..

I'll see if I can get a response from rc about putting the tre'd track bar together with the relocation bracket and the bushed end they use on the 4"+ track bar..

I'm sure the rubbing is coming from full compression of both sides, not during articulation.. and prolly is hitting just enough to take the paint,.

the rancho bar I originally had which is the same shape and a cheap tre didn't rub but I also had 2" bumpstops and 25.5" long shocks.
The RC 7571 track bar has no forward bend in it like the stock track bar or other after market track bars. Instead of going forward slightly at the differential it goes straight over it.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #21
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel83 View Post
I have a BDS front adjustable, 2" BDS Spring lift, stock control arms, and stock bump stops. I have no rubbing issues at full coil bind.
stock or adjustable track bar.. which brand?

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 03-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
The RC 7571 track bar has no forward bend in it like the stock track bar or other after market track bars. Instead of going forward slightly at the differential it goes straight over it.
the ONLY after market track bar with any forward bend I'm aware of is the jks.. it also has issues with out 2" bump stops..

having it go straight across is the reason the relocation bracket may the solution to the problem...
what I was getting at with the relocation, having (edit):rough country send you the relocation bracket and the joint end that fits the bracket.... which the 4+" bar uses.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Last edited by mudb8; 03-27-2009 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: rough country.... not jks.. sorry.
Unread 03-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #23
topfuel83
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
stock or adjustable track bar.. which brand?
Ummmm. BDS adjustable front track bar. Read what I wrote.
33" BFG KM2's on AR Baja Wheels

><> Ryan
topfuel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #24
topfuel83
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the ONLY after market track bar with any forward bend I'm aware of is the jks.. it also has issues with out 2" bump stops..

having it go straight across is the reason the relocation bracket may the solution to the problem...
what I was getting at with the relocation, having jks send you the relocation bracket and the joint end that fits the bracket.... which the 4+" bar uses.
The BDS track bar also has a bend in it similar to the stock track bar.

><> Ryan
Unread 03-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #25
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel83 View Post
The BDS track bar also has a bend in it similar to the stock track bar.
how about a pic... the only bds adjustable I've seen is this one from their web site... which is the same as the rc, fulltraction, re, IRO....

how long are your shocks fully extended?

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 03-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #26
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I looked up the shocks listed for the bds 2" lift... they are 24.9" long, which bottom out leaving about 2" before the stock bumpstops make contact. the bds 3" uses the same part # shock also.... they are nearly the same length as RC uses for the 2.5" kits.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 03-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #27
SB99TJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb470 View Post
Could you clarify....
Your Track Bar was hitting the diff cover from time to time as well?
I had NO idea this was happening until it was too late. I saw the mark on the diff, similar to yours, but I did not clue into what was going on. Even after it broke, I had no idea until i really looked at it.

I never heard any unusual noise. I never felt it in the steering and I never had any sort of clue except of the mark on the diff.

One day, I hit a dip in the road, granted a big dip, but it was a fun ride with my 4-year old boy. I was not being irresponsible or dangerous, I was just having some fun with the Jeep and nothing out of line. I was going 50 where I should have been going 30, but It's a Jeep.

I hit the dip and suddenly, I had NO steering. On my left was a upward embankment and on the right was a 200 ft. drop off. I somehow managed to keep the Jeep on the 2-lane wide road and stop, facing the left upward embankment. I limped home with the hazzards on at 20 mph max.

It took everything I had to keep the Jeep simply on the roadway. One split second would have thrown me over the 200ft embankment and who knows what could have happened to Nick (my 4-year old by) and I.

AFTER if broke, I noticed the markings on the diff cover. I sent Rusty's pics of the damage and they were very apoligetic, but quick to make the problem go away. No follow up was ever done by Rusty's.

I THINK the problem MAY be proper bump stops, but I really don't know. I know that I would NEVER run a Rusty's track bar on my TJ...EVER!!!

You will need to decide that for yourself. I don't know the answer to this problem. I ran the Teraflex and it did not hit...as far as I know.

Keep in mind...my lift was a Rusty's lift, not a "other" brand that I used a Rusty's track bar with...It was ALL Rusty's compoents. There was NO excuse for this failure.

If you are hitting now, even slightly, you are risking this same fate.

Look at the mark on the diff cover. It looks very simliar to yours. Mine probably hit a few more times before it broke.

[IMG][/IMG]
AEV Argent Pintlers
AEV front bumper with Superwinch EPI9000
SB99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #28
topfuel83
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
how about a pic... the only bds adjustable I've seen is this one from their web site... which is the same as the rc, fulltraction, re, IRO....

how long are your shocks fully extended?
I think thats their old track bar. This is the one I currently have on my rig:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

><> Ryan
Unread 03-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #29
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I can only remember one specific TJ setup that I helped with that had trackbar rubbing issues on the front diff.

- RE 1600 trackbar
- 2.5" coil spacer lift
- Stock bumpstops
- Stock control arms
- Skyjacker Hydro shocks that were 22.75" extended
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #30
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

When I was modifying my adjustable track bar to work with the WJ knuckle conversion, I used a 20 ton press to bend it to fit my needs...

Tags
tj , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.