tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #226
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Soon... Which I interpret to mean with a month or two.

I was told that the new Currie HD trackbar is based on the stock trackbar's shape, except with even more clearance due to the frame mount end being mounted slightly farther forward than stock trackbar (offset joint).

Sounds nice. I'm looking forward to owning one. I think that the new Currie HD front trackbar, along with a higher clearance diff cover or guard (like I posted about in earlier), will once and for all cure the problem of trackbar hitting diff cover on low lifts. Though appropriate bumpstops would also be helpful.

the current JKS bars can be rewelded also to clear in the same manner the new currie bar is welded...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #227
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
the current JKS bars can be rewelded also to clear in the same manner the new currie bar is welded...
Yes, but the JKS front trackbar lacks a graceful round curve that helps clear the diff cover. So I'm skeptical that the JKS could ever clear as good. However, I defer to your expertise on that matter.

One thing the Currie tech told me is that the stock front trackbar has that curve which not only helps clear diff covers, but also improves ride quality by allowing the trackbar to bend a little and then spring back in its curve area, which acts like a shock absorber to soften ride on rough terrain. He said they learned the value of that during Jeep speed racing, in which straighter aftermarket trackbars (like JKS) ride rougher, which makes things harder on driver and also wears out things faster and/or tears mounting brackets.

So Currie copied the curve of the stock front trackbar because it helps clear the diff cover and acts like a shock absorber to help soften ride on harsh bumps.

All that sounds good to me.

I'm going to try to return my JKS front trackbar for a refund. If they won't take it back, I'll make someone a good deal on it. It only has about 2 days use on city streets. Basically new. It never hit my Riddler diff cover, but it looked like it had inadequate clearance to diff cover IMO.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #228
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Oooh! I just found another sweet diff cover for front diffs for D30, D44, and possibly D60.

Currie sells some dandy looking front diff covers that have fill hole at proper height for front diff with LCG lift, and look like a stock cover from fill hole up. i.e. - have same shape and clearance as stock diff cover.

From just below the fill hole to the bottom of the diff cover, it looks like a Riddler or Crane cover, with angle lip and recessed bolts. It's pretty sweet and seems to offer the best of all worlds. Kind of like a crossbreed of the best features of a flush diff guard (ultra high clearance) and a Crane cover (strong and angled bottom with recessed bolts on bottom half).

Unlike a flush mount cover guard that covers bottom third of cover (like a Warn or Rugged Ridge), the Currie cannot get mud packed between its guard and the cover because they're welded together, or maybe cast together. Not sure if welded or cast, but either way its a one piece flush deal that cannot get mud between guard and cover. It looks like the best of all worlds.

Except for one thing, the thickness in the guard area is 1/4" steel (1/8" guard + 1/8" cover - welded together or cast that way?). That is probably thick enough to be strong enough, but it's worth noting that all the other high clearance diff covers I mentioned in my earlier post (Crane, Alloy USA, and Teraflex) are thicker (5/16" to 3/8" thick). But the Currie is probably strong enough for rock crawling (it's a Currie after all). It's certainly more than strong enough for normal wheeling.

The trackbar clearance of the Alloy USA stamped covers and the Currie are fantastic (same clearance as stock cover). The Teraflex D60 cover is almost as good clearance as stock. The Crane cover offers slightly better clearance than a Riddler cover (about 1/4" to 1/2" more clearance, depending on where you measure), but no where near as good clearance as a stock cover.

Please see post 220 in this thread for full information on each high clearance diff cover.

Last edited by CB3; 06-17-2009 at 11:40 PM..
Unread 06-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #229
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, but the JKS front trackbar lacks a graceful round curve that helps clear the diff cover. So I'm skeptical that the JKS could ever clear as good. However, I defer to your expertise on that matter.

One thing the Currie tech told me is that the stock front trackbar has that curve which not only helps clear diff covers, but also improves ride quality by allowing the trackbar to bend a little and then spring back in its curve area, which acts like a shock absorber to soften ride on rough terrain. He said they learned the value of that during Jeep speed racing, in which straighter aftermarket trackbars (like JKS) ride rougher, which makes things harder on driver and also wears out things faster and/or tears mounting brackets.

So Currie copied the curve of the stock front trackbar because it helps clear the diff cover and acts like a shock absorber to help soften ride on harsh bumps.

All that sounds good to me.

I'm going to try to return my JKS front trackbar for a refund. If they won't take it back, I'll make someone a good deal on it. It only has about 2 days use on city streets. Basically new. It never hit my Riddler diff cover, but it looked like it had inadequate clearance to diff cover IMO.
actually, the jks has the right curve and bend, it just needs to be moved outwards..

it's not only bent up, it's bent outward also... just not quite enough...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-18-2009, 06:32 AM   #230
Kiwi

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oooh! I just found another sweet diff cover for front diffs for D30, D44, and possibly D60.

Currie sells some dandy looking front diff covers that have fill hole at proper height for front diff with LCG lift, and look like a stock cover from fill hole up. i.e. - have same shape and clearance as stock diff cover.

From just below the fill hole to the bottom of the diff cover, it looks like a Riddler or Crane cover, with angle lip and recessed bolts. It's pretty sweet and seems to offer the best of all worlds. Kind of like a crossbreed of the best features of a flush diff guard (ultra high clearance) and a Crane cover (strong and angled bottom with recessed bolts on bottom half).

Unlike a flush mount cover guard that covers bottom third of cover (like a Warn or Rugged Ridge), the Currie cannot get mud packed between its guard and the cover because they're welded together, or maybe cast together. Not sure if welded or cast, but either way its a one piece flush deal that cannot get mud between guard and cover. It looks like the best of all worlds.

Except for one thing, the thickness in the guard area is 1/4" steel (1/8" guard + 1/8" cover - welded together or cast that way?). That is probably thick enough to be strong enough, but it's worth noting that all the other high clearance diff covers I mentioned in my earlier post (Crane, Alloy USA, and Teraflex) are thicker (5/16" to 3/8" thick). But the Currie is probably strong enough for rock crawling (it's a Currie after all). It's certainly more than strong enough for normal wheeling.

The trackbar clearance of the Alloy USA stamped covers and the Currie are fantastic (same clearance as stock cover). The Teraflex D60 cover is almost as good clearance as stock. The Crane cover offers slightly better clearance than a Riddler cover (about 1/4" to 1/2" more clearance, depending on where you measure), but no where near as good clearance as a stock cover.

Please see post 220 in this thread for full information on each high clearance diff cover.
Been running these front and rear in the rocks for a number of years along with a bunch of other rigs we wheel with. They hold up just fine.

Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #231
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

got my currie hd tb today(p# js 9120)its great but not the new offset one i wanted, but will be fine for many years im sure..i may reweld it if ever the need but it clears real well..it isnt flexed in these pics but can tell from the old one its fine..
so if any you guys order one dont use this part # if your wanting the offset welded one..
if anyone knows..does the axle end bolt hole need drilled also?i drilled the frame bracket for 5/8 and worked fine but the axle end says use original bolt?but the original bolt is a bit loose in the new tb axle end?
they should make it to accept a bigger bolt there also since now thats the new weak point i would think,john

johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #232
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Good to know. Thanks for sharing that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Been running these (Currie high clearance diff covers) front and rear in the rocks for a number of years along with a bunch of other rigs we wheel with. They hold up just fine.

Last edited by CB3; 06-20-2009 at 04:28 PM..
Unread 06-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #233
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Say, Mudb8, how similar is this Currie HD trackbar he's showing in his post to the JKS bar I already have? It looks similar. Is is the same trackbar? Same shape bend around diff cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9 View Post
got my currie hd tb today(p# js 9120)its great but not the new offset one i wanted, but will be fine for many years im sure..i may reweld it if ever the need but it clears real well..it isnt flexed in these pics but can tell from the old one its fine..
so if any you guys order one dont use this part # if your wanting the offset welded one..
if anyone knows..does the axle end bolt hole need drilled also?i drilled the frame bracket for 5/8 and worked fine but the axle end says use original bolt?but the original bolt is a bit loose in the new tb axle end?
they should make it to accept a bigger bolt there also since now thats the new weak point i would think,john

Unread 06-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #234
Kiwi

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Say, Mudb8, how similar is this Currie HD trackbar he's showing in his post to the JKS bar I already have? It looks similar. Is is the same trackbar? Same shape bend around diff cover?
Looks the same to me, just with the 5/8" ball at the frame end instead of the 9/16"
Unread 06-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #235
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
a lot..if not all currie products are made by jks,for currie..i think currie comes up with a better idea from time to time and has jks make them there parts to put the currie name on it..even tho currie seems a bit cheaper in price than jks..
my new tb didnt come w/a greasable bolt that i thought it did and does not have a grease fitting on it no where..
first time it comes off i will drill the j joint for a zerk fitting like the ones ive seen here in pics,john
Unread 06-19-2009, 01:19 AM   #236
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
they should make it to accept a bigger bolt there also since now thats the new weak point i would think,john[IMG]http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv168/gatepeddler/DSC01909.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv168/gatepeddler/DSC01911.jpg[/IMG
[IMGhttp://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv168/gatepeddler/DSC01912.jpg[/IMG]
yep that's one thing that bugs me about the jks bars is the bushing size and using the stock bolt.... it's ok tho, it's double shear.

Quote:
It looks the same other than the bolt size and the offset coping, that's why I figure I could reweld and brace your current jks track bar instead of getting a new one from currie...

Quote:
my new tb didnt come w/a greasable bolt that i thought it did and does not have a grease fitting on it no where..
first time it comes off i will drill the j joint for a zerk fitting like the ones ive seen here in pics,john
dang, you can also get a new JJ banjo bolt from currie instead of drilling the case.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #237
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=mudb8;7434345]yep that's one thing that bugs me about the jks bars is the bushing size and using the stock bolt.... it's ok tho, it's double shear.

i asked them and i thought they said it came with one but i must have misunderstood them..oh well,this bolt should never break..

the stock axle bolt end just has a 1/8 inch slop in the bushing they sent,,like its a little bigger than the stock bolt..im gonna see today if the stock steel sleeve will fit the new bushing,or get a fraction bigger bolt.
you cant tell when driveing it tho...yet,john
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #238
jayr

Quote:

I was under the impression the tb in post #109 by Kiwi on the page below was the new Currie HD tb part # JS9120 but please correct me if I am wrong...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=738948&page=8
jayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #239
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=jayr;7435265]I was under the impression the tb in post #109 by Kiwi on the page below was the new Currie HD tb part # JS9120 but please correct me if I am wrong...

i was under the same impresion but this is what i got..i just flexed it out the best i could in my yard and theres more than enough clearance..im pleased with it, and if needed some day i will cut and reweld the joint on a offset but not necesary for me yet..
when money allows i will get the hole front steering set up,john

Unread 06-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #240
Kiwi

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayr View Post
I was under the impression the tb in post #109 by Kiwi on the page below was the new Currie HD tb part # JS9120 but please correct me if I am wrong...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=738948&page=8
No obviously its not. Currie have been selling that Jeepspeed version for quite a while. I don't know what the new part number will be. As I mentioned here in post 212 I only got the frame end of the bar. My problem has been bending the standard JKS/Currie track bar, not hitting on the diff cover, so I was more interested in this new HD bar Currie is coming out with due to the fact that is it 0.250 wall chrome molly tube rather than 0.156 wall DOM. The offset gusseted JJ barrel was a bonus.

Tags
tj , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.