tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit?

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 06-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #211
Kiwi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9 View Post
KIWI,please tell me that trac bar you got is part# js9120..

im already worrying again,haha..i should have fabbed my own but by the time ya get all the parts ya may as well buy it..john
Sorry, I can't tell you because I don't know. I only got the frame end of the bar and reused one of the spare the axle ends that I have. Part numbers were not discussed.

Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #212
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

10-4,i guess i will find out soon enough,john
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #213
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm going to study this entire thread, every post. Thanks for the help.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #214
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bought the RE track bar unaware of any of these problems, but in going through this thread it seems as though there are little complaints about it. I'm going to see if mine hits right now.
Unread 06-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #215
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

and the verdict is...

It's clears by a pretty good amount.
I have a 4in RC lift, 33's, with stock bumpstops, these pics were taken at the same time. I'm just about at full drop on the other side, and you can see my tire is pushing up on my flare on this side.
Unread 06-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #216
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxrules39 View Post
and the verdict is...
[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/bmxrules39/Jeep/jeeptbtestclearance.jpg[/IM
It's clears by a pretty good amount.
I have a 4in RC lift, 33's, with stock bumpstops, these pics were taken at the same time.
the pics look flexed.. when both bumpstops hit at the same time is when you have a problem, having one side stuffed and the other side drooped makes more room.. for example if you hit a speed bump dead on with both tires, the track bar is gonna hit the cover if there's not enough clearance..

hook the winch to the front axle and pull it down to the bumptops or to the point the shocks bottom out.. hopefully your still good..

the shocks for the rc 4" lift are also 26" long, which need a little more than 2" bumpstops up front to prevent them from bottoming out..

thanks for the input and pics...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #217
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
My OME rear springs are already well used and settled. My OME front springs are new and haven't settled yet.

Front: I have the OME heavy load 2.5" front spring + 0.75" Superlift spring spacer, but also have a winch sinking the front back down about 0.5". So my net front height currently is 3.25", but will settle to 2.75" to 3" front height.

I have a 0.8" OME bumpstop spacer installed front and rear.

The JKS front trackbar I recently had installed is clearly going to hit as soon as I encounter a bump. The JKS clearance looks worse than stock trackbar. JKS trackbar must go. Between getting rid of JKS trackbar and changing diff covers, I can improve clearance enough for stock front trackbar.

I currently have a Riddler D44 diff cover, but plan to change to Crane diff cover. I think that by changing to Crane I will gain 1/4" to 1/2" clearance. I already own both Crane and Riddler covers and have measured them. I think the slight extra clearance of the Crane is probably enough clearance for stock trackbar.

=====

Is the stock front trackbar long enough to properly center my front axle with 2.75" lift front and 2.75" rear? (the rear axle has an OME trackbar relocation bracket with stock rear trackbar). The bottom line is that I've got my front about 3/4" higher than OME intended and my rear at height they intended. Will my front trackbar work for that?

P.S. - I like this because with my winch sinking the front down about 3/8" I'll sit approx level instead of butt-high like OME intended. In effect, I've altered my OME lift my putting in a 3/4" spacer in the front and want to know if my front trackbar will still work for proper axle centering and alignment.

=====

i.e. - do I need an aftermarket front trackbar to center my axle properly, or should I just reuse the stock front trackbar? I can cure the clearance issue with stock trackbar by changing front diff covers. So the real issue for me then is, can my stock front trackbar properly align my front axle?

I could get an Nth Degree trackbar and have modified to clear the new Crane diff cover, or get a Currie trackbar which looks like it would clear Crane cover, or go back to stock trackbar which I think would clear Crane. Which should I do and why? What are the implications, benefits, and drawbacks of each?

the stock track bar can be used by redrilling the axle mount, which I don't care to do much.

you'r old jks bar can be rewelded, just like the new currie bar is made, I'm not 100% sure about completely clearing a large, thick cover tho.... bring it down or send it, I can do it... my old man also goes to seattle a few times a week and stays at Gee Cee's daily, possiblies there...

the nth can definately be moded to work...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #218
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Strong aftermarket diff covers that I like for front diff with LCG lifts...

Strong aftermarket diff covers for front diff that are likely to clear trackbar and be ideal for LCG lifts. All offer good to excellent front trackbar clearance and have the fill hole around/approx halfway up, which is ideal for 0" to 4" lift, IMO.

D30, D60, and a few other diffs - Alloy USA 5/16" thick stamped steel. Excellent trackbar clearance. Same clearance as stock diff cover, but way stronger. These are the highest clearance tough covers made, IMO.
Unfortuneately, Alloy USA does NOT make a D44 stamped steel cover. They do make a D44 cast cover that is 3/8" thick (strong as hell), but the cast D44 cover's clearance for front trackbar is not good enough, IMO..
D60 - Teraflex - Their D60 cover is 3/8" thick cast steel (strong as hell) and appears to have reasonably good trackbar clearance.

D30, D44, and possibly D60 - Barnett sells some dandy looking steel front diff covers for that have fill hole at proper height for front diff with LCG lift, and look like a stock cover from fill hole up. i.e. - have same shape and clearance as stock diff cover from fill-hole up.
The Barnett covers are bought by Currie and resold as a Currie cover. i.e. - Depending on where you buy it, it might be called a Barnett cover (manufacturer) or a Currie cover (one of many resellers of this cover).
From just below the fill-hole to the bottom of the Barnett diff cover, Barnett looks like a Riddler or Crane cover, with angle lip and recessed bolts. It's pretty sweet and seems to offer the best of all worlds. Kind of like a crossbreed of the best features of a flush diff guard (ultra high clearance) and a Crane cover (strong and angled bottom with recessed bolts on bottom half).

And unlike a flush mount cover guard that covers bottom third of cover (like a Warn or Rugged Ridge), the Barnett cannot get mud packed between its guard and the cover because they're welded together, or maybe cast together. Not sure if welded or cast, but either way its a one piece flush deal that cannot get mud between guard and cover.
The Barnett cover thickness in the guard area is 1/4" thick steel (1/8" guard + 1/8" cover), which isn't quite as thick as the other brands of high clearance covers I mentioned above. The other brands of covers mentioned are are 5/16" thick steel (Alloy USA) and 3/8" thick steel (Teraflex).

However, the 1/4" thick steel Barnett cover is strong/tough enough. After all, the Barnett cover is resold by Currie as a Currie product. I think Currie wouldn't resell it unless it was tough enough. Also, Kiwi at this forum has been rockcrawling with the Barnett for years and its holding up well.

With the Barnett having thinner 1/8" steel on its top-half and 1/4" on bottom half, it might offer better differential oil cooling since thinner metal can transfer heat to the air faster.
I would guess that the Alloy USA also offers good diff cooling (based on thicknesses). The Alloy USA and Teraflex would offer more diff housing bracing/stiffness than Barnett since Alloy USA and Teraflex are thick thoughout. The Barnett is only thick on bottom half.

=====

All of the covers mentioned above are excellent covers for clearance and protection, though they each have certain special traits the others don't have.

=====

D30, D44, D60, and other diffs - various brands of flush fitting guards that can be added to stock diff cover that offer good trackbar clearance. Of these, I like the Rugged Ridge best. It looks like a Warn, but the RR has large drain holes at the bottom to drain water and mud (hopefully it would drain mud out). For the RR or W covers, I recommend cutting off the top portion about 1/4" above the highest bolt hole - (this trimming increases trackbar vertical clearance 1" to 2" or more). However, I think a guard of this type would decrease diff oil cooling by keeping air off the bottom half of front diff cover, especially if mud packs into the gap between guard and cover.

There are also the diff helmets (look like a faceguard on an old fashioned football helmet) that can be bolted onto lower portion of diff cover. These might work pretty good, but not sure. I'm concerned they'd hang up on something.

The bolt on diff vertical rings that offer protection over the gear area, are NOT good because they decrease clearance to trackbar, and the protection they provide is not very good IMO.

=====

I'd rather have a good cover than a flush guard (for diff oil cooling reasons). I'd rather have a good cover than a bolt on helmet because I'm concerned the helmet might hang up on things. The bolt on diff vertical rings are a no go for lack of clearance and protection.

=====

The above are the highest clearance options for strong front diff protection (that I know of). We can help alleviate our front trackbar clearance issues with high clearance diff covers (or guards), as well as higher clearance trackbars. The combination should be very effective.

=====

All these brands/choices have the fill hole halfway up the cover on the right. Some even have their fill hole partially recessed into cover. Having the fill hole halfway up cover offers several advantages for LCG lifts (compared to fill hole at top of cover). Fill hole halfway up makes it easy to fill diff oil to proper level for the pinion angles that low lifts have. I mean ideal for 0" to 4" of lift. Also, it's much easier to check the oil level, and it can't be overfilled. That's very important since overfilling is messy and almost as detrimental as underfilling. Most importantly, these diff covers offer much greater trackbar clearance. Part of that extra clearance comes from having the fill hole halfway down the cover, instead of near the top.

The diff covers mentioned above (and the cover guard option) are made for LCG lifts - both in regard to pinion angle and associated oil level, and for clearance with front trackbar, yet they are also strong and tough, and the Barnett is made lipless and angled to slip off or over rocks and has recessed bolts.

=====

For rear diff covers, I prefer Dynatrac and Rancho (identical covers, different colors) because there are [U]no clearance issues in the rear [/U](no rear diff cover clearance issues for me anyway - because I have an ARB rear trackbar relocaton bracket that moves rear trackbar up at axle end; but a stock rear trackbar setup would have tighter clearance with rear trackbar).

So for me, there's enough room/clearance in the rear for the external bracing ribs of the Dynatrac or Rancho diff covers. I like their external bracing ribs because they stiffen/brace the entire diff housing (helps gears mate properly), the ribs increase impact resistance, and the ribs act like cooling fins, helping to cool the diff oil. Note: all brands of very thick covers don't cool oil as well as a thin stock cover. The ribs of the Dynatrac/Rancho cover increases its cooling by acting like cooling fins. I like the fill/bleeder hole halfway up the cover (ideal for lower lifts because the pinion angle is appropriate for the lower fill/bleeder hole located halfway up the cover).

If there is a concern about rear diff cover clearance to gastank skidplate or trackbar, then I suggest using one of the higher clearance covers such as Alloy USA stamped cover, or Teraflex for rear. I don't think the Barnett would be high clearance in the rear diff (gastank clearance reasons), though it is very high clearance for the front diff (clears front trackbars well, especially stock front trackbar).

In my case, with an OME rear trackbar relocation bracket raising the axle end of my rear trackbar higher. So I don't have any rear diff cover clearance concerns. So I prefer the Rancho/Dynatrac (not a high clearance cover) for my D44 rear cover. If I had a D30 or D60, my preference for a rear cover would be the Alloy USA 5/16" stamped cover (high clearance cover for front or rear, but not made for D44).

Last edited by CB3; 09-12-2009 at 07:22 PM..
Unread 06-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #219
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
[B]

I'd rather have a good cover than a guard. The above are the highest clearance options I know of, and are my preferences for front covers.
great info!

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #220
marylandjeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

one thing that sold me on the warn guard over the rugged ridge is the fact that its made in usa. i wish i knew about the alloy usa cover before i ordered the warn though, sounds like it would have been a good choice too.
marylandjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #221
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Say, how about that RE track bar for me with 2.75" lift in front? Would that likely have as much diff cover clearance as my stock trackbar or the Currie?

Would the RE work for my 2.75" lift? i.e. - can it be shortened enough to work? Is it a good trackbar?

How about the Currie? I know it's a good trackbar, but can it be shortened enough to work with a 2.75" lift?

How many inches would the front axle be off-centered with a stock trackbar and 2.75" of lift?
the only re that might work is the relocated HD RE bar

the currie can definately be shortened.

the axle will be off center anywhere from 1-1.5" and takes half that amount to recenter the axle.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #222
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I talked to Currie Tech today about their new HD front trackbar

Tech said it should be able to clear most aftermarket D44 front diff covers and stock D60 cover.
Maybe some aftermarket D60 covers too?

For D60, I think it'd probably clear the Teraflex cover (high clearance 3/8" thick cast steel), easily clear Alloy USA 5/16" thick stamped cover (which has almost same clearance as stock D60 cover), and easily clear the Currie D60 cover (same clearance as stock cover).
Tech said it will be able to shorten enough to work for 0" of lift on a stock TJ. So it will be able to shorten enough to work on a 2.5" lifted TJ.

And it can also lengthen enough to work on up to 6" lifts.

Last edited by CB3; 06-20-2009 at 04:24 PM..
Unread 06-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #223
redsoxski
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Did they say when it would be available?
redsoxski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #224
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxski View Post
Did they say when it would be available?
Soon... Which I interpret to mean within a month or two.

I was told that the new Currie HD trackbar is based on the stock trackbar's shape, except with even more clearance due to the frame mount end being mounted slightly farther forward than stock trackbar (offset joint).

Sounds nice. I'm looking forward to owning one. I think that the new Currie HD front trackbar, along with a higher clearance diff cover or guard (like I posted about in earlier), will once and for all cure the problem of trackbar hitting diff cover on low lifts. Though appropriate bumpstops would also be helpful.

Last edited by CB3; 06-17-2009 at 09:46 PM..
Unread 06-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #225
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandjeeper View Post
one thing that sold me on the warn guard over the rugged ridge is the fact that its made in usa. i wish i knew about the alloy usa cover before i ordered the warn though, sounds like it would have been a good choice too.
If the quality is equal, and price isn't greatly more, then I agree that buying USA made is good.

However, in this case, the features are not equal. The Warn lacks the water/mud drain holes, or at least they aren't big enough to see in a pic. So the Warn would be likely to fill up with mud, as some users have reported happening with their Warn cover in this thread.

The Rugged Ridge has large drain holes.

I will buy foreign if it's a superior product. Though I'd rather buy American when it's equal or better quality.

The bottom line for me is that a manufacturer must earn our business by making the better product.

Last edited by CB3; 06-20-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Tags
tj , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.