tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 109 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #1621
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Trimming that gusset won't hurt a thing as long as it's done in moderation. I've done it on several 9120's to clear up a little room.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #1622
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

14 3/4-15" uppers
16" lowers.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #1623
baldness17
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I'm guessing by heavy duty springs you mean OME 933's. Swap to OME 934 springs in front, you won't need a spacer. It's a higher rate & longer coil. Also, take a silver sharpie marker, and outline the offending area on the gusset and grind it down.

That should solve most of the issues. You'll probably find a new limting factor, but if you can get down to ~1-1.5" bumpstop extension with that setup you're doing just fine. With a 1.25" BL, that'll clear 33s.
Adjustable JKS arms are in the works. For now, I will trim the gusset, take pics, and post the results on Sunday. Thanks.
baldness17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #1624
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldness17 View Post
Adjustable JKS arms are in the works. For now, I will trim the gusset, take pics, and post the results on Sunday. Thanks.
drop the JKS arm idea. go Currie, Metalcloak or Savvy Off-Road.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #1625
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
drop the JKS arm idea. go Currie, Metalcloak or Savvy Off-Road.
So, what are wrong with Rokmen control arms?
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #1626
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing is wrong with them.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #1627
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
So, what are wrong with Rokmen control arms?
nothing major. I run them. they don't adjust shorter than stock (15.75"), which can be an issue for the rear axle position w/ CV shaft. they are far beefier than necessary for most folks and are more expensive than other options.

Clayton Off-Road is another good option I forgot to mention too. but last I heard a few years back, their lowers didn't adjust shorter than about 16" either, but maybe they have since changed that. i know their front lowers worked great on a JK I helped setup...but we were lengthening the lowers....

along those lines, it's also worth mentioning Metalcloak's lowers I saw didn't adjust shorter than ~15.75-16" either. but the owner also stated they were working on shortening them up a little (forum news?).

if it's too long you can cut em, if you do it carefully. the Savvy double adjustable stuff I've seen had the most adjustment potential with the least fuss. Last I heard they fixed the rear upper length issue with the Currie uppers, so Currie's also a good option.

....so that's the long answer for why I usually recommend that stuff first.
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #1628
ArchStanton
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04
nothing major. I run them. they don't adjust shorter than stock (15.75"), which can be an issue for the rear axle position w/ CV shaft. they are far beefier than necessary for most folks and are more expensive than other options. Clayton Off-Road is another good option I forgot to mention too. but last I heard a few years back, their lowers didn't adjust shorter than about 16" either, but maybe they have since changed that. i know their front lowers worked great on a JK I helped setup...but we were lengthening the lowers.... along those lines, it's also worth mentioning Metalcloak's lowers I saw didn't adjust shorter than ~15.75-16" either. but the owner also stated they were working on shortening them up a little (forum news?). if it's too long you can cut em, if you do it carefully. the Savvy double adjustable stuff I've seen had the most adjustment potential with the least fuss. Last I heard they fixed the rear upper length issue with the Currie uppers, so Currie's also a good option. ....so that's the long answer for why I usually recommend that stuff first.
What's wrong with JKS, besides the price? Which control arms would fit a 2" lift? Thanks!
ArchStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #1629
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
nothing major. I run them. they don't adjust shorter than stock (15.75"), which can be an issue for the rear axle position w/ CV shaft. they are far beefier than necessary for most folks and are more expensive than other options.
Thanks for the info. Oh, and I use the Rokmen control arms, too.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #1630
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchStanton View Post
What's wrong with JKS, besides the price? Which control arms would fit a 2" lift? Thanks!
they use a sort of threaded pivot along the long axis. Teraflex tried that early on many years ago....and it resulted in some well known failures. constantly working threads every time the axle moves doesn't sound very good, does it?

the arms also do nothing to address the way in which the axle moves - the arms are not only required to twist, but they're also required to allow lateral misalignment because the track bar pulls/pushes the axle to one side or the other during the suspension cycle. that's what flex joints do - allow many degrees of movement without stressing the mounting points.
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #1631
ArchStanton
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04
they use a sort of threaded pivot along the long axis. Teraflex tried that early on many years ago....and it resulted in some well known failures. constantly working threads every time the axle moves doesn't sound very good, does it? the arms also do nothing to address the way in which the axle moves - the arms are not only required to twist, but they're also required to allow lateral misalignment because the track bar pulls/pushes the axle to one side or the other during the suspension cycle. that's what flex joints do - allow many degrees of movement without stressing the mounting points.
Thanks for explaining the JKS CA's. Would you recommend any control arms for a 2" lift?
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #1632
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchStanton View Post
Thanks for explaining the JKS CA's. Would you recommend any control arms for a 2" lift?
depends what you want to do with that 2" lift....how much shock travel? tummy tuck? correct caster? correct axle position?
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #1633
ArchStanton
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
depends what you want to do with that 2" lift....how much shock travel? tummy tuck? correct caster? correct axle position?

By your questions, I probably don't need adjustable control arms. But thanks anyway!
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #1634
CommonSense
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Adding my .02 cents on the subject... I purchased the metal cloak adjustable front track bar a month or so ago and installed it. I have OME 2.5" HD springs, 31" tires, prothane progressive bumpstops cut down to 3.5 ribs for the fronts ( i dont know how else to describe them...they are progressive so exacts are hard to come up with) and bilstein 5100s for a 3" lift. Sorry I don't have the numbers of compression and full extension... I forgot em! Also stock dana 30 diff cover. Anyhow to the meat and potatoes... I put approximately 175 off road miles on the old jeep in the last two weeks with the trail riding being moderate to tough. Big hills, ruts and the like... I will crawl under her and comb over any spots the track bar may have rubbed on and report back!
CommonSense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #1635
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense View Post
Adding my .02 cents on the subject... I purchased the metal cloak adjustable front track bar a month or so ago and installed it. I have OME 2.5" HD springs, 31" tires, prothane progressive bumpstops cut down to 3.5 ribs for the fronts ( i dont know how else to describe them...they are progressive so exacts are hard to come up with) and bilstein 5100s for a 3" lift. Sorry I don't have the numbers of compression and full extension... I forgot em! Also stock dana 30 diff cover. Anyhow to the meat and potatoes... I put approximately 175 off road miles on the old jeep in the last two weeks with the trail riding being moderate to tough. Big hills, ruts and the like... I will crawl under her and comb over any spots the track bar may have rubbed on and report back!
I doubt you'll find any rubbing. Did you have any trouble centering the axle, ie TB too long?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tj , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.