tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - Page 102 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #1516
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
I don't think that's the point of this thread. I run similar bump stops up front. There's no way around it and there's nothing 'incorrect' about it.
I probably could have worded that a little differently. I don't feel that there is anything wrong with it (I have extended bumpstops currently and they will stay there until I have some time to modify my 3 link a bit and do something about my fenders).

I don't think anyone ever disputed the fact that an aftermarket track bar and riddler cover could be used together. I feel that the point of the thread is to show interference that occurs with certain track bars and or diff covers. Maybe I got the wrong impression from T-Jay but it sounded like he was not aware of this. Regardless this is just one more example that goes to show that some bolt on parts require more than just bolting them on and calling it a day.

rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #1517
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post

I probably could have worded that a little differently. I don't feel that there is anything wrong with it (I have extended bumpstops currently and they will stay there until I have some time to modify my 3 link a bit and do something about my fenders).

I don't think anyone ever disputed the fact that an aftermarket track bar and riddler cover could be used together. I feel that the point of the thread is to show interference that occurs with certain track bars and or diff covers. Maybe I got the wrong impression from T-Jay but it sounded like he was not aware of this. Regardless this is just one more example that goes to show that some bolt on parts require more than just bolting them on and calling it a day.
This is exactly the same impression I was getting.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #1518
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
That's what this entire thread is about. The necessity of large extended bump stops with aftermarket track bars and diff covers. From your previous posts it sounded as if you were going to prove that wrong. Your pictures show otherwise.
Oh forget it, nailing down this thread/topic is like trying to squeeze a bar of soap. In its 1500+ posts this thread has been about lift height, shock lengths, TB brands/configurations/customizations, axle positioning, differential covers, bump stop configurations and on and on. It's been stated a hundred times in a hundred ways that aftermarket TBs and Riddler dif covers do not mix.

I'm just saying that "my" Jeep's Currie TB clears "my" Riddler dif. cover with "my" specs. Just as I was told by the product reps. My TB and dif cover NEVER once even touched, with or without the 2" bump stops. Granted I've never jumped the Jeep...but I don't really plan on doing that anyway. The new extensions have stopped my tires rubbing at the rear fender well which is great so I'm happy with them. I will do some trimming here and there on the D.S. spring perch. I noticed that at full droop the rear of the perch comes into contact with my lower control arm so that will have to be resolved.
T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #1519
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glook View Post
Was this picture really taken with 2" bumpstop extensions?

Because this one was taken with 1" extensions and you can see how much lower the trackbar JJ is.
Yes. But I realized at that point that my axle was not centered correctly under the Jeep. 1/2" to the P.S.
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #1520
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glook View Post
Was this picture really taken with 2" bumpstop extensions?

Because this one was taken with 1" extensions and you can see how much lower the trackbar JJ is.
Caster could have something to do with that.

T-Jay,
I would trim that coil bucket a bit. Maybe just a slice in the 90* bend, then fold the tab away from the trackbar and you can reweld it beck together. I'd also be interested to see it at full articulation with that driver side only stuffed.

The axle will NOT be centered at full stuff if you center it at ride height because of the swing of the trackbar. 1/2" off doesn't sound too bad to me.

My question for you is - what arms are you using (and what lengths are they set to) and if you were to trim the coil bucket, it looks like the trackbar end would then be running into the tie rod (or do my eyes deceive me) at 100% bump?

I think the point of this thread is that with all the fancy tools out there, can the aftermarket really not produce a double sheer trackbar that misses the diff cover (even if it is a stock cover) and the tierod/dag link.

And to add a whole 'nother level of fun to this, every test I have seen (I have not read the entire thread) is bump testing with the steering at center.
You guys don't turn?

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #1521
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCKED UP

Caster could have something to do with that.

T-Jay,
I would trim that coil bucket a bit. Maybe just a slice in the 90* bend, then fold the tab away from the trackbar and you can reweld it beck together.

The axle will NOT be centered at full stuff if you center it at ride height because of the swing of the trackbar. 1/2" off doesn't sound too bad to me.

My question for you is - what arms are you using (and what lengths are they set to) and if you were to trim the coil bucket, it looks like the trackbar end would then be running into the tie rod (or do my eyes deceive me) at 100% bump?

I think the point of this thread is that with all the fancy tools out there, can the aftermarket really not produce a double sheer trackbar that misses the diff cover (even if it is a stock cover) and the tierod/dag link.

And to add a whole 'nother level of fun to this, every test I have seen (I have not read the entire thread) is bump testing with the steering at center.
You guys don't turn?
Yes at ride height it's approx. 1/2" off. I do realize that the axle travels over to the DS as it stuffs. I'm using currie adj. arms. Don't recall the lengths at the moment. I can check later though.

I totally overlooked the TB tie rod conflict. Hmm. I'll have to check and see if I have a shot from a different angle.

Didn't occur to me at the time to turn the wheel before stuffing it. Have to try it next time. Good point there.

Sent from my JeepForum using iPhone...oh wait...what?...
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #1522
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jay View Post
2" is Huge?

The first four photos show the jounce bumpers removed. And there is no possible driving scenario in which my 2" aluminum bump stop extensions would be forced to compress to a measurement less than 2". What's the point in testing with them removed? I still have gobs of up travel in the front end. To the point that my tires are still getting into my fenders when the jeep is fully loaded with tools and the hard top on.
2" bumpstops can be considered "huge" if your only lifting 2-3"...........especially if your trying to maximize uptravel.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #1523
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42
2" bumpstops can be considered "huge" if your only lifting 2-3"...........especially if your trying to maximize uptravel.
I'm lifter 5.25".

Unread 03-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #1524
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm lifter 5.25".
good work.

now put the shocks back in, and check full bump again to make sure the shocks aren't the limiting factor.

also post the upper and lower control arm eye-to-eye lengths, as that will speak to axle position and caster. and why your tires rub the rear of the wheelwell.

while you're at it, you can drop the axle to full droop with the shocks installed, and turn the steering wheel lock to lock for checking brake line length (making sure the lines long enough, and not acting as limiting straps).
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #1525
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm lifter 5.25".

The thread title states 0-3.5" of lift. Are you talking about combined lift?
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #1526
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

4" coils 1.26 body
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #1527
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04

good work.

now put the shocks back in, and check full bump again to make sure the shocks aren't the limiting factor.

also post the upper and lower control arm eye-to-eye lengths, as that will speak to axle position and caster. and why your tires rub the rear of the wheelwell.

while you're at it, you can drop the axle to full droop with the shocks installed, and turn the steering wheel lock to lock for checking brake line length (making sure the lines long enough, and not acting as limiting straps).
Roger that.

Unread 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #1528
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I got my front apart to check everything.

No chance in hell that the JKS adjustable trackbar would clear the Solid diff cover without 2" extensions and grinding.

So I put in 2" extensions and started grinding.

Then I checked droop, stuff, straight and turned and as of right now, everything clears. Brake lines are long enough and even in max articulation the shocks have a hair left in them. The brake lines may actually be too long. Will have to see how they work out.

Tires will very gently kiss the top of the fender at full stuff (with a 2" extension but no jounce). That was with the wheels pointed straight. I'm sure turned would be worse on the back of the well but with the jounce in there I fell OK about it. If I make noise rubbing the back of the fender I'll live. At least my trackbar should not explode from contacting the diff cover ... not that I ever expect to jump this thing but who know what could happen.
img_2604.jpg   img_2605.jpg   img_2606.jpg   img_2607.jpg   img_2608.jpg  

img_2609.jpg   img_2610.jpg   img_2616.jpg   img_2619.jpg   img_2620.jpg  

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #1529
cleveland99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Okay so I have been following this crazy thread and now I dont know if I want to put a lift on my jeep if all its going to do is open this can of worms you
guys keep going back amd fourth about on here I was just going to do rc 3.25 but now I am not sure
cleveland99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #1530
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCKED UP View Post
No chance in hell that the JKS adjustable trackbar would clear the Solid diff cover without 2" extensions and grinding.
yup, maybe something like this?

nice work btw.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tj , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.