Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

TJ Frame Repair

21K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Doctor7474 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 TJ with frame rot on the side of the frame where the rear suspension arm mounts. I see there are repair kits for older jeeps to repair the frame. Does anyone know of a repair kit or a method of repair for this?

#4 ·
You must be joking right? A 2000 jeep with a rotted frame??? Come on stop it...LOL Good luck...betcha there is ALOT more damage in that frame than meets the eye. My 97 was so bad i made the dealer buy it back!

#5 ·
It's a lot more work but I've seen a lot of TJ frames for sale from $200 - $400

It would give you a chance to POR15 the frame.

#6 ·
ROT or just RUST? Surface rust can be wire wheeled with an angle grinder and then painted or treated with POR15, Rustconvertor, or just oil.

#8 ·
To the insurance company if a frame is damaged they total it, but you can fix any frame, but if it's real bad it's not worth all time time.

A lot of race cars have the rear of there frames cut off and have tube frames welded in so they can fit larger tires and setup a 4 link suspension.

Older Chevy trucks had a problem with there frames where the steering box bolted to the frame when they had big tires, so they made a thick piece of metal to add material to the frame.

Some motor swaps take up more room and the frame needs to be notched. You cut out a piece of the frame and weld in a new piece.

There's a lot of work that can be done to frames, if you google it you will come up with tons of pictures.

#10 ·
I don't have photos but, what I did was, welded up a brace that spanned the rotted section and welded it to the frame. I then cut the bad section completely away (through the entire frame). This section included the rear control arm mounts. I then cut the 'new' sections to fit, beveled the edges for a full thickness weld then ground the welds flat where needed to apply reinforcing plates that I stitch welded in place.

I did both sides in the rear and replaced about 16 inches of the front of the frame over the course of a weekend.

This was done several years ago and there are no signs of problems after many off road excursions and a lot of winching.

#11 ·
I don't have photos but, what I did was, welded up a brace that spanned the rotted section and welded it to the frame. I then cut the bad section completely away (through the entire frame). This section included the rear control arm mounts. I then cut the 'new' sections to fit, beveled the edges for a full thickness weld then ground the welds flat where needed to apply reinforcing plates that I stitch welded in place.

I did both sides in the rear and replaced about 16 inches of the front of the frame over the course of a weekend.

This was done several years ago and there are no signs of problems after many off road excursions and a lot of winching.
What welding rod type/designation did you use?

Thanks, Stan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.