TJ Frame Differences Help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Frame Differences Help

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #16
Rockram1

I would assume them to be the same. I just did a 98 6cyl auto to 98 4 cyl 5 sp frame swap The only difference I found was the motor mounts need moved about 4 " forward. I fabbed them myself. Then the skid plate was the same.
Skid plate differances: there are 2 sets of holes for the tranny mounts. A forward set and a rearward set. The auto uses the froward set of holes. There is an additional plate that the tranny mount attaches to. This is attached to the skid with 4 carriage bolts. The 5 sp tranny uses the rearward holes and doesn't require the additional plate as the skid has a support there.
I don't have pics sorry.

Unread 09-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Your best bet would be to get a trans skid and tranny mount (maybe) from the newer frame and use it instead of trying to make the old one work.

The holes are not in the same place, the 99 uses countersunk head bolts into dimples and the 03 up uses metric bolts that have captive flat washers.
Unread 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #18
nickrad8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly88 View Post
I have a 99 tj with a 4 cycl. And i have a 2004 tj frame that had a 6 cyl in it tmrw when i get home from work i will lay the 99 tranny/ tcase skid on the 04 frome and see if the holes line up will be easy since frame is already upside down and skid plate it off If thats what ur wanting are wanting to know ? If it will help let me know
thats exactly what i need to know. if you could let me know as soon as you get the chance, i would appreciate it. the only difference in what i am doing is that i am going from a 6 cyl to 4 cyl frame
nickrad8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #19
Hillbilly88
2014 JK Wrangler 

I just went and laid my 99 skid plate on my 04 frame and all the holes lined up. Hope it helps
Hillbilly88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #20
mikesbeachhut
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am almost sure the trans skid on 03 & up are different then the 98 to 02.Got to do with the automatic trans when they changed it in 03 .The trans mount might not line up with the 4 holes in the skid.
mikesbeachhut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #21
Hillbilly88
2014 JK Wrangler 

Just so u know i do not know about the trans holes matching since the frame is bare so on that note take some of these other guys advice All i can say for sure is the skid plate will bolt to the frame
Hillbilly88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #22
Corbie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am in the process of doing a ’97 to a 04 Frame swap. Mine is 4.0 to 4.0, so I don’t have to worry about engine mounts. I have the 04 skid plate, so that isn’t a problem. Did you find that the steering box holes don’t line up? I am having that problem now. I know this is an old thread, and hope you are still active. What other holes didn’t line up.
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #23
csalev3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just did a swap on my 97 TJ last summer.. I swapped in an 03 frame and had to redrill skid pan mounting holes. I can send some pictures if it'll help. Also, the steering box mounts had to be modified slightly too. Other than those two changes I didn't run into anything else. I believe all the changes were from 03-06. 97-02 frames will require some modifications for your 05.. Or you could hunt down the correct skid pan if you're not into modifications.

Feel free to ask if you run into anything, my frame was swiss cheese before the swap so I've seen how bad it can actually be..
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #24
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbie View Post
I am in the process of doing a ’97 to a 04 Frame swap. Mine is 4.0 to 4.0, so I don’t have to worry about engine mounts. I have the 04 skid plate, so that isn’t a problem. Did you find that the steering box holes don’t line up? I am having that problem now. I know this is an old thread, and hope you are still active. What other holes didn’t line up.
The steering box bolt mounts are different from 97-02 and 03-06. You are better off just moving the lower one at the front so that you can use the earlier gear box.
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #25
RH31379
1983 CJ7 

I just swapped a frame from a 2000 to an 03 frame. Aside from the mounts being different because of the engine size, the other differences are the skid plate and trans mount plate will not work. I had to use a skid plate from an 03 and newer as well as the transmission adapter plate from the newer year, the threaded holes for the transmission skid plate also change from SAE to metric in the newer frame. You could make a patter out of your old skid and cut out and put some new plates in for the skid mounting bolts. I would of done this had I known the difference before I painted everything. Also the mounting bolts for the newer skid plate are not the self centering bolts used from 87-02 on skid plates. I ended up using regular bolts because the skid plate has flat bolt holes.
The steering box will not work either. The newer jeeps use a Mercedes steering box instead of the saginaw box that jeep used forever. The mount holes are not the same but the pump is but the lower steering shaft is also different. Not sure but between the 4 and 6 cyc. the steering shaft mount may be different. The one other minor difference is the factory side steps also changed in the later years. I haven't found a mounting solution for those yet.... just got it running and found a bad valve so I'm dealing with that at the moment when the weather allows. good luck
Unread 10-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #26
365Jeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, I'm about to undertake this project myself, and I just figured out the skid plate thing tonight. I am swapping a 2004 frame into my '01. The front two bolts on the skid plate line up, but the rear ones do not. Can anyone confirm that the location of the front two bolts are in the same location as the earlier frame? If they are, the transmission mount should line up as well.

David
365Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #27
RH31379
1983 CJ7 

I ended up getting a skid plate from the later model year and a transmission mount from the later years as well. Everything lined up that way except had to make a minor modification to the hanger for the cat.

Tags
frame , frame swap , replace , swap , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.