TJ flares question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ flares question

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
mic6
1999 TJ Wrangler 

TJ flares question

Hello everybody
I know that TJ front and rear stock flares on Rubicon and Sahara are one inch wider than SE and Sport editions ones. I need to know if the small extension right under the JEEP lettering is also wider or just the same on Rubicon and Sahara models

Thanks in advance

mic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
thedaringmove
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well the rubicon doesn't have that I don't think. They have rocker protection. the Sahara ones are entire running boards which I think are the same width as the flares themselves
thedaringmove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic6 View Post
I need to know if the small extension right under the JEEP lettering is also wider
Nope.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
thedaringmove
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman
Nope.
Well there you go
thedaringmove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
mic6
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ok guys thanks !
mic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I put Rubicon flares on mine, and that extra small extension piece on the front looked stupid being narrower. I took it off and used a set of Rubicon rocker guards. You'll see mounting holes if you just take it off and use nothing there.

Like was mentioned, Rubicons don't have that piece they have the black diamond plate rocker guard, and Sahara's have a totally different piece there. Only regular TJ's with the narrow flares have the extension.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

They do make the extensions for the wider flares...or they used to. I bought my wider flares a few years ago from a seller on eBay & they had flare extensions with them..I think I ended up throwing them out

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
They do make the extensions for the wider flares...or they used to. I bought my wider flares a few years ago from a seller on eBay & they had flare extensions with them..I think I ended up throwing them out
Note that in 2003, the Sahara package switched from the wider full rocker covers to ungrained extensions that were similar to a standard TJ but just a bit wider to match the 1" wider flares that are used for the Sahara, Rubicon and various special editions with color matched (or contrasted, like a Rocky Mountain Edition) flares.

The Mopar Rubicon Flare kit does include extensions, and they are the wider ungrained extensions from the 2003+ Sahara and special editions noted above so that they could paint them with the special low-gloss black paint used on the flares and not have a weird texture under the paint. They only include them so that the paint finish matches the flares and so that you have something to fill the holes where the old extensions come off.

Just be aware that without the extensions, you will get a lot more rock chips on the front of your rear flares. This is something Rubicons suffer from. The nice thing about the full rocker extension on the 2002 and prior Saharas is that it does a pretty good job of protecting the rear flares from rock chips.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post

Note that in 2003, the Sahara package switched from the wider full rocker covers to ungrained extensions that were similar to a standard TJ but just a bit wider to match the 1" wider flares that are used for the Sahara, Rubicon and various special editions with color matched (or contrasted, like a Rocky Mountain Edition) flares.

The Mopar Rubicon Flare kit does include extensions, and they are the wider ungrained extensions from the 2003+ Sahara and special editions noted above so that they could paint them with the special low-gloss black paint used on the flares and not have a weird texture under the paint. They only include them so that the paint finish matches the flares and so that you have something to fill the holes where the old extensions come off.

Just be aware that without the extensions, you will get a lot more rock chips on the front of your rear flares. This is something Rubicons suffer from. The nice thing about the full rocker extension on the 2002 and prior Saharas is that it does a pretty good job of protecting the rear flares from rock chips.
My jeep doesn't have the holes for extensions (not anymore) & I don't have any bad rock chips on the rear flares, after 45k miles...I bet the extensions do catch some stuff, but I plan on rocker guards anyways.

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.