TJ Dying When Idling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Dying When Idling

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
oracle5

TJ Dying When Idling

I have a 2003 Wrangler Rubicon with automatic transmission I bought about a month ago. Its my first Jeep. I have a random issue that only happens while in gear(drive or reverse, happens more often in reverse and never when in park) the Jeep will idle low, the engine will rev itself and the rpms will bounce up and down between revs until it dies after 3-4 bounces.

I can't recreate it every time so it seems random. It never dies when up to speed but only at low speeds like when in reverse. It has 98k but the engine was replaced by the previous owner at 92k with a Jasper engine. It also has a new fuel pump.

I put some Seafoam in the gas tank hoping that fixes/helps the issue but haven't ran it all the way through yet. Any other ideas on what is happening? Thanks in advance.

First post by the way. Glad to be part of the forum.

oracle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
oracle5

I forgot to mention. When doing the key dance trick I get no codes.
oracle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Willcamp
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Mine does something similar, but since I have a stick it stays idling. It only does it when I have spent awhile in the low range. The last time it started doing this I put my code reader on it. The reader said 0 codes, but just for sport I had it erase the codes. Afterward it idled fine. It tells me that something is kicked that my reader won't pick up, but will at least clear. I know I can reproduce it just by going four-wheeling.
Willcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the answer I gave you asking the same question in your other thread... http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/tj-d...ml#post2675613

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 , idling , rubicon , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.