TJ/Durango steering box swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ/Durango steering box swap

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
DBraceM20
1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ/Durango steering box swap

i just got done swapping out the TJ steering box for the Durango one. Eveything went fine on the install and was driving fine for about a half an hour than the power steering gave out. What could have cuased this to happen? It goes on and off like it will work fine and then just shut off than go back on agian after i stop driving for a little bit. Any ideas cause i need help!

DBraceM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
jerico

You forgot to bleed the system. Go back on the posts and they will tell you now to do this.
jerico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:38 AM   #3
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

try gettin all the air out as well. when i swapped mine i let all my old fluid run out, fill it and i turned my wheel slowly both sides and kept opeaning it and refilling
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

How to bleed the steering system: Jack the front-end up so the wheels are off the ground an inch or so. Without the engine running (!), slowly turn the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock at least a dozen times to bleed the air out. Add fresh fluid as necessary but realize the fluid level will go up and down as you cycle the steering back and forth. That simply means to not overfill it at its low point as doing so will cause it to overflow and make you think you have a big leak. Don't ask me how I know this.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
Beefstew
Jub Jub

2006 TJ Wrangler 

how do you kno this?
Beefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
DBraceM20
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok thanks alot guys i really appreciate it. I drained it again and filled it up and it works like a champ now.
DBraceM20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.