TJ Door Skin Question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Door Skin Question.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
xBlaCKeNeD

TJ Door Skin Question.

Hey guys I'm new here, and was interested in a little info.
I've been I've been looking around the forum for about a year now but this will be my first post. Hopefully not a dumb one lol.

I'm about to purchase a new top, as my 01 TJs cheap after market top has taken quite the beating. I'm looking into the Bestop Trektop, I am for sure going frameless because the frame on my tj is a cheap after market one that is falling apart. The fact that I can't take the top down easily isn't much of an issue for me. I normally roll with a safari top when I want some wind anyways.

My problem is that bestop doesn't sell a Trektop that includes upper door skins, and I am in serious need of them. Are all tj door skins created equal? I'm assuming this isn't the case. Does anyone have any suggestions on which are best? I have gathered that bestop probably makes the best everything. But if you had to buy a set that weren't bestop, which would you buy?

xBlaCKeNeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JF.Bestop makes the OEM (factory top) so they are as good as is gets for door skins.I bought some cheaper Rugged Ridge ones years ago and they were paper thin.In case you don't know,the factory ones are sewn on and have to be cut off.The aftermarket ones have Velcro and need to be stretched to get over the rails and be tight.If you aren't carefull,they will tear installing them.

p.s. I found tinted skins on Ebay and made everyone jealous when I had my old 98'
Unread 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome aboard. You will gain ton of useful info here. One word of caution some on here will be a tad ickish just have a thick skin and don't reply to them.

Having said that on to your question. Boogie is right about BesTop. I am not 100% sure but they may make 2 different kinds of skins as the do their tops. One a little less rugged as the other for those on a budget. I did have one of the Rugged Ridge/Steel Horse flip tops with door skins...Needless to say I went back to Bestop for the replace-a-top but bought a set of slider upper doors (not BT) but they worked fine for a few years. Have since gone with a set of Smittybilt skins. I will say that they work but are not as thick as BT ones however for $50 including shipping from a forum member I won't complain.

No matter what kind you do decide on leave them bad boys in the sun for a minimum of 2 hours. The hotter you get them the easier they will be to get over the metal frames and less chance of tearing the fabric.

Good luck with whatever you choose and Happy Jeepin!

My idea of help from the man above is a sniper on the roof.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm not jealous. I hate tinted windows. I wish my rear windows weren't tinted!
Unread 08-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
xBlaCKeNeD

Thanks guys, I suppose if I'm going to shell out the money for a new top
I might as well do it right the first time. Bestop it is then, thank you all for your time and info.

On a side not those front tinted rule!
xBlaCKeNeD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestop , doors , skin

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.