TJ Door lock cylinder problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Door lock cylinder problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-13-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
andrusha79
1999 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Door lock cylinder problems

Hi! I have a problem with the lock cylinder on the Wrangler Jeep TJ 2.5L 1999. Full metal doors. On the left (driver's) door, the cylinder began to jam. Sometimes it is possible to find key position in which the door opens, but usually have to open from the inside . Is it possible to repair the lock cylinder or cylinder should be changed?
If I buy it and change it, would not it be a problem to open it with my old keys?

P.S. forgive me if I did not find it on the forum, I'm still not good what's where, and sorry if my english is bad!

Thanks in advance, Andrey Ivanov

andrusha79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 01:11 AM   #2
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Try lubricant. I had the same problem, sprayed just a little wd40 into the key cylinder and just a drop on the key. I locked and unlocked the lock, using the key, till the wd40 worked it's way into the mechanism. It's been over a year, works perfectly.
Unread 01-13-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
andrusha79
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I tried to lubricate the cylinder (inside and on the key). Tried to scroll right and after 40-60 minutes - no effect. Impression that something is stuck in the cylinder by the fact that when I try to turn the key, there is backlash 2-3 degrees freely and then he rests.

p.s. in the beginning I thought it was because of the small cooling, but the door mechanism works ...
Unread 01-13-2014, 04:35 AM   #4
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have been having the same problem. Thought otherwise at first because I had pretty much exactly what you're describing but figured it was just the cold. Leaving work at 10 at night and its 10-20 degrees out it didn't unlock but the next day after sitting in the sun I never had a problem.
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:00 AM   #5
andrusha79
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJeepJosh View Post
I have been having the same problem. Thought otherwise at first because I had pretty much exactly what you're describing but figured it was just the cold. Leaving work at 10 at night and its 10-20 degrees out it didn't unlock but the next day after sitting in the sun I never had a problem.
Previously, I had no problems at -20.2 Fahrenheit. I think the pins in the cylinder could freeze (Saturday was damp and warm, and for Sunday 10 degrees colder). I thought that the WD-40 will help... but...
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
OurTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If it doesn't work itself out with lubrication it is not that hard to buy a new one, have a locksmith key it to your key and then install it. To get at it, if memory serves, you need to pop off the door panel, remove some window trim, then take out the window. There is a linkage to the lock that you disconnect and also a thin metal flat spring clip (it is the rusty thing around the lock). Then the lock pops out and you reverse the process. Good luck.
OurTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
andrusha79
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm. It turned out the ice. On the way home from work, I bought spray "de icer" (5$). poured it inside the lock, and after 5 minutes it worked. Apparently frozen condensate in lock. Thank you very much for participating!))

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.