TJ Death wobbles issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Death wobbles issue

BDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till Apri

Unread 10-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Bizignano

TJ Death wobbles issue

Hey guys i have done lots of research and i am looking for some clarification before i pull the trigger on any parts.

I have installed an OME 2.5inch lift on my 2006 jeep tj rubicon. Worked fine for 2 months and then started getting death wobbles after a sway bar link broke. Replaced the links with quick disconnects. Problem continued. U joint in passenger side is shot and will be replaced. Steering stabilizer is weak and leaking due to the death wobbles.

I am waiting on replacing the two because a steering stabilizer is just a bandaid and will only mask until it breaks again. The U joint is just a vibration and is not causing the death wobble.

Attached is a picture of my front end. My diagnosis is that the tie rod is not parallel with the ground. I do not know how to go about this. People recommend currie, but it is 750 bucks. People recommend a zj v8 tie rod, but will the beefier tie rod also fix the angle it is sitting at? My mechanic suggests doing a drop pitman arm to fix this. But i suspect it will throw off my drag link and track bar angles and just give me bump steer.
20150918_163758.jpg

How do i go about fixing this? any help is good help.

Thanks
Andrew

Bizignano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Hound from HELL.

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Front angles are fine. Mechanic is an idiot. Replace the stabilizer if it's leaking and make sure the front toe is set in to 1/8". DW didn't cause the stabilizer to leak.
Unread 10-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Your tie rod doesn't need to be parallel with the ground. Your issue is that something is worn or wearing out. Do a dry steering test.
Unread 10-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
USAFRecon

I fixed mine with longer shocks and re-balancing the tires. The dual steering stabilizer probably helped too.
USAFRecon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

For many the zj steering upgrade is fine.
The currie is way stronger, but a similar design and geometry.
Check all the control arm bushings, watch front uppers closely.
Check the ball joints, wheel bearings, and tie rods.
dont do a drop pitman. Its a bad idea.
check the tires, and get them balanced. My death wobble was mostly a tire issue.
something or a few things are getting loose most likely.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

At 2.5 inches of lift, stock steering in good condition is fine.

What exactly did you do with/do about the track bar when you installed the lift ? Is the front axle centered under the frame ?

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFRecon View Post
I fixed mine with longer shocks and re-balancing the tires. The dual steering stabilizer probably helped too.
Rebalancing your tires was your fix. Those other two things had little to nothing to do with it.
Unread 10-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #8
ivaskaj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My death wobble was fixed by replacing the tires. When I bought it in 2011, it still had the original Goodyears. Horrible wobble right at 55mph. I bought it at CarMax, and promptly took it back during the grace period, and they replaced the steering stabilizer, which did nothing. Check the tire balance and see if something is off. If you've got a lot of mud stuck in the trade or inside the wheels, or if the edges of the tires are badly worn, that might be the cause.
Unread 10-04-2015, 01:33 AM   #9
TheBoogieman
Hound from HELL.

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
rebalancing your tires was your fix. Those other two things had little to nothing to do with it.
x 2.
Unread 10-11-2015, 01:17 AM   #10
Bizignano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
At 2.5 inches of lift, stock steering in good condition is fine.

What exactly did you do with/do about the track bar when you installed the lift ? Is the front axle centered under the frame ?
So i just got the jeep back tonight after my mechanic throwing in a stabilizer that works and replacing a U joint.

The death wobbles is now worse!! i can barely get up to 80km/h before i hit a small bump in the road and have to come to a slow roll to get rid of the wobbles.

My mechanic wants to straighten out the tie rod and decrease the angle of the drag link and tie rod by putting a 2-4" drop pitman arm onto the jeep.
This seems logical, but after reading everyone saying not to i am very hesitant.

In order to show this to me he disconnected the drag link from the pitman arm. Could it maybe be we didnt tighten it up properly or in the right sequence of parts?

Please help! this is my daily driver!
Andrew
Bizignano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #11
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The pitman arm is a solid piece of steel. How is it worn or causing movement?
It has no moving parts. A drop pitman arm will make it worse, by adding bump steer to the existing problem.

Have you, yourself, done a dry steering test?
This is how you will find loose parts to be replaced.
Or just replace everything like I did, lol

You need a new mechanic!

Have you had a tire re balance and rotation? Its a good place to start.
How old are your tires?
What rims and backspacing do u have?
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #12
jski701

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Small amounts of movement in worn parts will cause wobble. Get someone to help you do the dry steering test to figure out where the play or worn parts are. My first experience with DW was worn sway bar links. Now I have a swaying feeling that is going to be corrected with an adjustable track bar, which I assume will be a bad DW if left unattended. You need to find the parts that are worn, and it may be more than one.
jski701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2015, 07:33 AM   #13
TheBoogieman
Hound from HELL.

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizignano View Post
My mechanic wants to straighten out the tie rod
Is it bent?
Unread 10-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #14
TheBoogieman
Hound from HELL.

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jski701 View Post
My first experience with DW was worn sway bar links.
That shouldn't cause DW (IMO). You can drive without either sway bar connected and not get DW, just a lot of leaning. Some older model 4 cylinder TJ's didn't even come with a rear sway bar.
Unread 10-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #15
jski701

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman
That shouldn't cause DW (IMO). You can drive without either sway bar connected and not get DW, just a lot of leaning. Some older model 4 cylinder TJ's didn't even come with a rear sway bar.
Not disagreeing, cause I'm sure you know these wranglers pretty good, but.......

I don't have any more information than I experienced DW a few times before changing the sway bar links and it didn't happen again after. It is however possible that the track bar could have been a contributing factor and just not as noticeable as it is now, but the track bar isn't causing DW for me just a wandering kind of sway.
jski701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.