TJ cranks but not start. No guages.???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ cranks but not start. No guages.????

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
thecowdoctor
2003 TJ Wrangler 

TJ cranks but not start. No guages.????

Hi. WE have just acquired a 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport from a government auction. 4.0 L 5sp manual. Think it had sat for quite awhile with an almost empty fuel tank. It fired up and loaded on the trailer and then unloaded. We added fuel. It stalled a few times but drove then around the block fine. We parked it and within a few minutes it cranks but will not start. The key symbol is showing on the dash but none of the guages register when the key is turned to the "on" position or "acc". (fuel, battery etc). It cranks over well. When the shrader valve on the fuel rail is depressed nothing comes out. All the fuses and relays seem good. I know it could be a fuel pump but to happen so fast I am leaning towards electrical...any ideas an where to start??
Thanks in advance .
I am combing the forum for ideas.
Marg

thecowdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

Crank sensors are well known for causing this issue. Unplug it and see if the gauges return.

Not exactly sure if it will be in the same location on an '03, but here is a picture on mine on a '00.

Passenger side, towards rear of block.
number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
thecowdoctor
2003 TJ Wrangler 

will see if we can locate it. Thanks
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^x2
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
thecowdoctor
2003 TJ Wrangler 

well the mystery continues. have checkd and replaced many fuses and relays. Unplugged the crankshaft position sensor and guages did NOT return. Replaced it anyway. Left battery unhooked al night to reset computer. This morning the jeep continued to crank but not start. Now it does nothing..a few indicator lights come on but no guages and the jeep beeps at you. key light is on. I am wondering if the theft detterent sytsem is somehow involved. We only got one programmed key and a key fob. I was playing with the buttons on the key fob (which is NOT labeled with any ID) and after I did that was when it refused to start. I replaced the battery in the fob and punched the lock and unlock buttons,the start button etc but to no avail. The jeep does not have electric door locks and no remote start as far as I know. So would think that this fob is not for this jeep???
Does anyone have any info on the sentry key system??
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
thecowdoctor
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well mystery may be partially solved.
Hubby wiggled a fuse and we returned to the crank but no start situation.
Today he was checking around the ignition and turned it..wonder of wonders..guages return and we start and drive. Then when we are back in the yard it stops dead. Returns to previous situation. Wiggle around and it starts. So I think we must have a faulty ignition. Don't think it is the clutch safety switch. Is the ignition hard to change?? Cost??
Thanks
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Try this link. There is price info & a video on replacing the ignition switch.

Ignition switch failure

It’s not the same problem as you have but it should answer your questions. When you have the switch off leave it plugged in & try turning it with a screwdriver to see if it starts. You can wiggle the connector if needed. That might reveal a bad connection at the connector.

Also unplug the connector from the switch & make sure you have 3 wires into that connector with 12v especially the red one on the top corner, the other 2 are red/pink & pink/black.

Sorry, this is a better link.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
Countdogula
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure you clean up the battery cables and posts, and also the ground and bonding strap. I just got mine and it had been sitting and had many electrical problems and that fixed 90% of them. The rest were just corrosion on the bulbs and sockets.
Countdogula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
thecowdoctor
2003 TJ Wrangler 

will try that.
Finally got the code reader to read
P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction
and P0353 Ignition coil C primary/secondary malfunction.
Jeep wont go faster than 40mph.
Thanks!!
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ignition coil is easy and was going to be my guess with the crank sensor swap. Do NOT get an autoparts store one, get a jeep one. I got one from napa and it ran hot and fried the alternator. Chased that stupid rabbit hole for 7 months, all the way to the ignition switch. The only plus: hey the whole ignition system got replaced basically.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The P0505 is Idle Air Control Motor Circuits which, from 2 different charts I have, either says replace the IAC motor or there is an SBEC problem. SBEC= single board engine control which I believe is the PCM. If that only affects the idle (not sure about that) then that shouldn’t keep it from reaching speed.

The P0353 only affects the “C” coil in the pack which fires 2 of the 6 cylinders. So unless it is missing on 2 cylinders that may not be the underlying issue. I’m not sure but I don’t think it necessarily means a bad coil but possibly coil input from an external source, possibly the PCM or even the crank sensor.

How is it running (up to 40 mph) & idling?

Neither code addresses the overall issue of sometimes not cranking & other times cranking but not starting.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

Wiggling wires and it started has me thinking it is that loom that goes around the back of the head. Likes to rub on the head bolt.
number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
thecowdoctor
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies. Hubby has been playing with it. Cleaned up the ignition with some cleaner and it seems to be starting much more reliably. Will have to drive it a bit and see what happens.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.