Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

TJ cold weather engine squeal/ whistle

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MorganDan 
#1 ·
2001 Wrangler TJ with 200,030 miles. My rig is making a very high pitch whistle noise only during the winter months and when the jeep is coasting. At idle it fades away a little but when I accelerate the whistling starts. Spring summer and fall months it doesnt whistle. Just when its cold out. My check engine light is on with miss fire in bank 1. Thinking it's the manifold gasket or headers for both problems or the water pump for the squeal. Can't really tell what area it's coming from bc it's so damn loud. Help needed!

#4 ·
Well I replaced the valve cover gasket and intake/exhaust manifold gasket with both fel-pro brand gaskets. Used copper silicone on the manifold gasket, tightened up the bults and no more squeal. Cost me about $40 total for parts and took about 4 hours on a Saturday to complete and this was my first attempt. If I could do it you could also. 4 bolts holding the manifold from underneath were the hardest to get to. Also replaced the foil recall debris heat shield part cost about $5 from dealership. Gaskets I got from rockauto.com, copper silicone from autozone and these are the write ups I followed.

Manifold for beginners - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
[Repair] Exhaust Manifold Replacement Guide

The belt tension and power steeling pump are different. Belt tensioner is on left side and used a 1/2 in ratchet to remove. Steering pump has 2 bolts on top 1 on bottom and easier to use a ratchet by going through the pulley.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.