tj coilovers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj coilovers?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-08-2004, 04:27 PM   #1
0IIIIII0

tj coilovers?

anyone know any companys that sells kits for coilovers for a tj? how much would this run me? any disadvantages and advantages? ive seen pics of this done and think it would help tremendously. any info welcome.

Unread 08-08-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've been looking at this for a while. There are a few companies that make coilover kits for the front... bluetorch fabwors, skyjacker, and rockkrawler all do. Rockcrawler also makes a coilover kit for the front and rear and a kit that stretches the wheelbase. From the people I've talked to, you definately need some sort of swaybar with it.. like the currie antirock or something. There's also not a huge performance advantage from those I've talked to over a standard long arm kit. It sure looks cool though.
Unread 08-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0IIIIII0
<SNIP>
and think it would help tremendously.
Help what ?
What specific problem are you trying to solve ?

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2004, 05:53 PM   #4
wipedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTJ
I've been looking at this for a while. There are a few companies that make coilover kits for the front... bluetorch fabwors, skyjacker, and rockkrawler all do. Rockcrawler also makes a coilover kit for the front and rear and a kit that stretches the wheelbase. From the people I've talked to, you definately need some sort of swaybar with it.. like the currie antirock or something. There's also not a huge performance advantage from those I've talked to over a standard long arm kit. It sure looks cool though.

Not being mean, but obviously you've never ridden in a vehicle with coilovers installed. There is a tremendous advantage over normal coils. The drawback is that for most of us.... it isn't worth the extra couple thousand

6 in lift, 35" Interco Trxus MT's, long armed, Bushwacker cut-out flares, Skyjacker coils(powdercoated grey), RE 4.5 extreme duty leaf packs, Tera 1.5in shackles, AJ's Superrails, AA SYE, TW DS, Blacked out all around. and a buncha RE trackbar stuff, and the infamous ZJ tierod :)
wipedawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2004, 08:32 PM   #5
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipedawg
Not being mean, but obviously you've never ridden in a vehicle with coilovers installed. There is a tremendous advantage over normal coils. The drawback is that for most of us.... it isn't worth the extra couple thousand
That's ok, you're right, I haven't. Just like I said, I was only going on what I've been told. What exactly are the advantages? The amount of flex seems to be about the same and with good standard coils and shocks you can get a pretty decent ride. I'm just curious really, cause I still want to try it. I'm also starting to look at the fox air shocks as well.
Unread 08-08-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
0IIIIII0

you are very right on the looks...looks very nice...is the ride better or worse?
Unread 10-29-2004, 05:20 PM   #7
1BLKJP

Alright boys time to bring this one back from the dead. I am seriously considering a 4 wheel coilover, but have never seen anything except an XJ and several buggies with coilover rears.

I already know all of the benefits and I like them over coil/shock combo. Plus I also know how I am going to mount them all also. But I am bored at the office today so I thought I would see if any of you have this particular setup on your TJ's and see if you had any pics of it.
1BLKJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2004, 12:56 AM   #8
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP
Alright boys time to bring this one back from the dead. I am seriously considering a 4 wheel coilover, but have never seen anything except an XJ and several buggies with coilover rears.

I already know all of the benefits and I like them over coil/shock combo. Plus I also know how I am going to mount them all also. <SNIP>
You mount them by fabing up some mounts, or buying a "kit" with the mounts. Either way involves cutting and welding.

Again, what specific problem are you trying to solve with coilovers, or is it just for looks ?

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2004, 01:12 AM   #9
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Without knowing what problem you guys are trying to solve, I'll just throw this out there. If you're looking to throw a lot of money into your suspension system in the hopes of a better ride, you really should take a close look at the OffRoadOnly AiRock Air Suspension system for TJ Wranglers.

Computer controlled airbag suspension that can raise and lower the Jeep or lean it in any direction you wish, with a control unit that sits on top of your dash.

http://www.offroadonly.com
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2004, 01:22 AM   #10
shoatx

Try here....
Randy

http://www.oristruts.com/
shoatx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2004, 06:20 AM   #11
CTMpwrdcamry

Is the air strut like a long arm?
CTMpwrdcamry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2004, 07:50 AM   #12
yogi
2001 XJ Cherokee 

heres a pic of mine skyjacker coils and custom towers with x-over

ride is better more forgiving looks sweet and cost abot 1500
no sway bar needed still need trak bar

yogi
Unread 10-30-2004, 07:58 AM   #13
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Without knowing what problem you guys are trying to solve, I'll just throw this out there. If you're looking to throw a lot of money into your suspension system in the hopes of a better ride, you really should take a close look at the OffRoadOnly AiRock Air Suspension system for TJ Wranglers.

Computer controlled airbag suspension that can raise and lower the Jeep or lean it in any direction you wish, with a control unit that sits on top of your dash.

http://www.offroadonly.com
this system is amazing...my local shop installed one of the first ones in the US...on an Unlimited...

it automatically adjusts on the trails (up to 10% or so), and automatically lowers the Jeep and locks the new sway bar at 30MPH or so...also has a "demo" mode that makes is rock around like it's on hydraulics...quite entertaining...

I think they guy had $2500 in just parts on it...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2004, 08:23 AM   #14
yogi
2001 XJ Cherokee 

what happens when the air system fails and you 2 hr from the rd ???will you be able to drive it out or will the air bags deflate and fenders setting on the wheels

yogi
Unread 10-30-2004, 08:50 AM   #15
owlman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
what happens when the air system fails and you 2 hr from the rd ???will you be able to drive it out or will the air bags deflate and fenders setting on the wheels

yogi

the shocks act as bumpstops, it'll be a rough ride though.

also, you can probably just inflate them manually (gas station, somebody else's OBA) and get them to hold that pressure til you got everything repaired.
owlman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.