TJ bezel removal and switch install *Pics* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ bezel removal and switch install *Pics*

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

TJ bezel removal and switch install *Pics*

Here's some pictures for removing the center bezel on an 03 and up Jeep. Just for reference, on 97-02 remove the top plastic cover, remove the 2 screws on the top of the dash (coin tray), remove the screw from behind the ash tray then pull the whole assembly out, 4 clips total. 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom.

2003 and up
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I started from the bottom and removed the glove box and panel under the steering wheel to get a better grip. Popped the bottom 2 clips then pulled the top 2 clips. Here's what the back side looks like.
[IMG][/IMG]

If you're adding a switch here's what it looks like, remove the 4 screws after you remove the center bezel
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I disconnect everything so I could work on it easier. The blanks have to be removed from the back. Clip on top and a clip on the bottom, then push it back.
[IMG][/IMG]
Pop the new one in from the back. Then, do whatever connections you need to do. I noticed a plug on the back plugged into one of the blanks. I believe if my Jeep was an automatic this would be the O/D switch harness. I just left it unplugged.
Here's a finished product of my modified rubicon switch for my front locker.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I hope these pics help!

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
Kip03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know this a old thread, but i just picked up the defroster and wiper switch from a 98-99 XJ to put in my 97 TJ.. Anyways the switch wouldnt go in as it seemed to be a bit wider..

Does the defrost switch HAVE to go on the far left side? Or can you switch those around? Cause now that i look at it i think the bezel itself is meant for the specific switch in a certain location. I think im gonna have to try putting the switch in the correct position.

Any idea?
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It doesn't matter which one you put where as long as the wiring in the back can reach and there's not a whole lot back there but I think it's possible. How much bigger is the switch compared to the opening? I'm pretty positive the openings are all the same size. Pics?
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yah there is no wires back there yet. As my jeep is only a softop option.. But i wanted to atleast wire in the wiper motor to the switch but i cant seem to find a simple wiring diagram they all seem to get pretty involved or people just say get the complete wiring harness.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How much is the wiring harness? I think you're EASIEST and quickest way is just to buy the harness. Then it's plug and play.
Unread 06-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So i just went and confirmed the XJ switches do fit perfectly in the stock TJ bezel. But there is a order for it lol..

for the 3 switch bezel like the TJs had no Air lockers..

its defrost, wiper/washer, fog lights. I just went out and took that center piece apart to check lol.

The harness costs about 150$ + $50 ( 03-06 hardtop adapter ) apparently from the dealer. Not really cheap.. Consider i paid just a tad bit more for the hardtop itself lol
My Progress Page

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.