TJ Axle swap options and needs??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Axle swap options and needs???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Jeremywrags
2000 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Axle swap options and needs???

Hi All,

I am sure this is covered somewhere but or in a few different threads but I wanted to start a new one for clarity...

Anyway, I have a 2000 TJ 4.0 Auto with Dana 30\35 & 3.07's with a rear detroit locker and 33" tires. I hate the locker and am having transmission shifting issues due to the gears & tires so I am thinking about a swap.

So far I have decided that the best option is to go to either a dana 44 or a ford 8.8.

I have a source for the D44 out of an XJ with 3.07's for $300 or
I can get an 8.8 with 4.10's Limited slip & disc brakes for $170 at the local junk yard.

I want my final ratio to be 4.10 so I am thinking that the 8.8 might be the way to go. Either way I know I need a bracket kit and someone experienced to weld and set it up correctly.

Here are my questions.

1. General opinion for 8.8 vs D44
2. Driveshaft - will my stock shaft bolt up to either of these? The guy with the D44 says yes it will but then he wants me to buy it so...
3. Do I have to do an SYE? I will eventually but need more $$$
4. Which brackets to use, remember on a budget here.
5. General things to look out for?

Any help is appreciated.

Unread 10-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just did an 8.8 swap, and if i were to do it all over again, id definitely go with a tj 44 hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrbear View Post
Destroyed it somehow..... It went wobble wobble wobble boom
Tuffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I vote 8.8. The regear aspect alone makes the 8.8 worth it. Plus, in my opinion the 8.8 is stronger. I am pretty sure you will need a new drive shaft and with 4" of lift i cant believe you dont already have an SYE haha. Personally, i would wait to do the SYE, driveshaft, and new axle at the same time since you would avoid buying two driveshafts.

But, if i would vote a TJ 44 too, no brackets to worry about and its set up for your vehicle, not to mention you probably will get one from a rubicon that already has a locker
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Jeremywrags
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4x4
I vote 8.8. The regear aspect alone makes the 8.8 worth it. Plus, in my opinion the 8.8 is stronger. I am pretty sure you will need a new drive shaft and with 4" of lift i cant believe you dont already have an SYE haha. Personally, i would wait to do the SYE, driveshaft, and new axle at the same time since you would avoid buying two driveshafts.

But, if i would vote a TJ 44 too, no brackets to worry about and its set up for your vehicle, not to mention you probably will get one from a rubicon that already has a locker
The problem is finding a tj d44 that I can afford...
Unread 10-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremywrags View Post
The problem is finding a tj d44 that I can afford...
An 8.8's initial cost is cheap, I paid $75 for mine, but $2500 later I'm still struggling to get mine up to spec.

Quote:
Unread 10-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
lateride
1997 TJ Wrangler 

axle options

1. General opinion for 8.8 vs D44
2. Driveshaft - will my stock shaft bolt up to either of these? The guy with the D44 says yes it will but then he wants me to buy it so...
3. Do I have to do an SYE? I will eventually but need more $$$
4. Which brackets to use, remember on a budget here.
5. General things to look out for?

1. I can only speak about the 44 which has proven to be an excellent axle for me. Three years and no issues in snow, mud, the Rubicon, etc.
2. The pinion yoke of the 44 will match your current DS, but your axle brackets wont. The XJ is a leaf over, not a coil over, in the rear.
3. IMHO, If you are getting by without vibes, go with it for now. That being said, a fixed yoke and DC driveshaft will almost certainly be needed in the near future, especially if you have 4" of lift.
4. If money is really tight, cut the brackets off the d35 and weld them on the 44. You will be hard pressed to get a nickel for the 35 once its out anyway. If thats too much trouble, look at poly, M.O.R.E., RE, and others on line. They go for about $200.
5. Seems obvious but make sure your replacement axle is not bent/damaged. Axle widths are another consideration.
lateride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #7
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
An 8.8's initial cost is cheap, I paid $75 for mine, but $2500 later I'm still struggling to get mine up to spec.
Care to explain where all the money went? I am insterested in doing an 8.8 swap at some point down the road as well. There is a very nice write up I found here yesterday but can't find it now to save my life, & his cost listed is ~$1,400 & that included $300 for a SYE.

Edit: Found it!

Not doubting your figure, just would like to get all the facts & see why yours is a grand more.
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
maximus1000
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Also depends on the 8.8. 31 spline?
maximus1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Care to explain where all the money went? I am insterested in doing an 8.8 swap at some point down the road as well. There is a very nice write up I found here yesterday but can't find it now to save my life, & his cost listed is ~$1,400 & that included $300 for a SYE.

Not doubting your figure, just would like to get all the facts & see why yours is a grand more.
No problem.... Here you go... (these are rough guesstimates, I don't have the exact $$ amount but should give you a good enough idea.

Ford 8.8 from 98 Ford Explorer -$75
ARB Air Locker $850
ARB Air Compressor $250
4.88's and master install kit $270
IRO Bracket Kit $250
Labor to weld brackets on $100
ECGS Brake like Kit $100
New Rotors and pads $100
New O.E. Style Diff Cover $20
Rokmen Adjustable uppers $320
Tom Wood's Custom D/S &
AA SYE $540
Rough Country Wheel Spacers $60
New Muffler (clearance issues) $40

TOTAL $2,975

Note: I got hooked up with new seals and gear install from a local shop that didnt charge me anything, so from what Ive seen it would be anywhere from $200-$500 for gear install..

Quote:
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...Rokmen Adjustable uppers $320
Tom Wood's Custom D/S &
AA SYE $540
I wouldn't consider those costs with the total cost of the axle.

Those parts are nice to have with a 4" lift regardless of what type of rear axle you have.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I wouldn't consider those costs with the total cost of the axle.

Those parts are needed for a 4" lift regardless of what type of rear axle you have.
I had absolutely no vibes with my previous axle, and had zero issues the way it was before. Sure it lowered my ground clearance, but to be a functional vehicle it was perfectly fine before.

I can see how people would say that they were needed parts, and Im sure that for some they were necessities. For me the TJ was fine without them. So for those who have already done that, take ~$800-$850 from my previously Total, but remember to add in the cost for gear install (~$250-$500) if you have someone else do it.

So I'd say a good average is still around $2500 for an 8.8 install depending on locker choice and how much you outsource for labor.

Quote:
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had absolutely no vibes with my previous axle, and had zero issues the way it was before. Sure it lowered my ground clearance, but to be a functional vehicle it was perfectly fine before.
Ha, you caught me editing.

I changed my post to read "Those parts are nice to have..." rather than "needed".

Did you set the brackets on the 8.8 with the same pinion angle you had previsouly?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.