TJ adjustable rear track bars - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ adjustable rear track bars

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
97 XJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

TJ adjustable rear track bars

I searched... I came close to the answer but not quite.

Some sites show that the JKS OGS151 is for 3" lift +. JKS shows that it works for 0-6". Some talk of using the OGS153 for under 3" lift. This part number is not listed on the JKS site. Does anyone know if this was an older option that the OGS151 replaced?

My TJ just has a 2" BB in the rear but my TB bushings are shot and I'd rather upgrade now with plans of sye/cv and 2.5" springs later on. I don't have adjustable control arms yet. Does anyone have this setup with this TB that could comment on clearance issues? I have a D44 with a Riddler cover.

I know the Currie bar is too big because they use the bigger JJ. Any other TB suggestions?

Thanks

Unread 08-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

the rear can be a problem...similar to the front. first thing you want to do is get rid of the Riddler cover, it hits the gas tank.

the JKS 151 doesn't work for any amount of lift because it binds on the stock bracket.

so you need to install a relocation bracket, but then the bracket hits your fuel & evap lines...so you need to use zip ties to pull them aside.

that fixes the binding above, but then the JKS track bar hits the frame at the gas tank mount.

I ended up having to buy an RE with a heim end, then heat the stock track bar up with an oxy-acet torch, bend it to fit properly, cut the end off, and cut the RE heim off, then weld them together to make a custom track bar for the rear. here's more on that: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...l#post11998020

but then the raised bracket increases the stress on the stock mount, eventually causing it to rip off. so you need to weld reinforcement to the bracket.

here's more info on the subject:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tr...-bars-1147535/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
97 XJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

WOW, thanks for clearing that up. I did come across those pictures earlier but still wasn't sure about my setup. So is there any adjustable track bar that clears a riddler cover and 2" lift? Maybe I'll just replace the bushings at the moment and figure this out when I go with a TT.
Unread 08-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 XJeep View Post
So is there any adjustable track bar that clears a riddler cover and 2" lift?
in the front, no.

the problem with the Riddler in the rear is that it hits the gas tank at full bump.

for reference - here's a Solid diff cover clearing a Savvy gas tank skid, with 1.3" bumpstop extensions...the Riddler is much fatter, and the factory skid has less clearance.

I used to run Riddlers - nice manufacturer - too bad the covers are so damn fat.

Quote:
Maybe I'll just replace the bushings at the moment and figure this out when I go with a TT.
i haven't been able to find replacement bushings for the rear track bar....only full replacement track bars. RockAuto sells factory replacement bars fairly cheap...
Unread 08-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
97 XJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
in the front, no...

i haven't been able to find replacement bushings for the rear track bar....only full replacement track bars. RockAuto sells factory replacement bars fairly cheap...
I have 3" springs in the front and a Riddler cover also waiting to go on, so this sucks to hear. Do you know if I'll have problems with my stock track bar hitting?

Does ANYONE out there run a Riddler front cover with an adjustable track bar?

For the rear replacement bushings they are available in poly only but here is a link with part #'s.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/energy-...rangler-tj.htm
Unread 08-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have 3" springs in the front and a Riddler cover also waiting to go on, so this sucks to hear. Do you know if I'll have problems with my stock track bar hitting?

Does ANYONE out there run a Riddler front cover with an adjustable track bar?

For the rear replacement bushings they are available in poly only but here is a link with part #'s.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/energy-...rangler-tj.htm
the Riddler cover causes interference issues with the stock track bar.

and it hits pretty much all aftermarket track bars.

thats a JKS old style, and it requires 3.5" of bumpstop extension....you'd need to run 6" of lift to actually gain any uptravel.

for the front, read this thread....all of it....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...it-fit-738948/

old style JKS doesn't clear the stock diff cover...needs 2" front bumpstops.

new style JKS doesn't clear the tie-rod...needs 2" front bumpstops.

for reference, nothing straight clears the diff either.

diff cover vs tie-rod gives this:

you need to get rid of the Riddler covers...they suck from a clearance standpoint. great company, great quality, terrible design (for a TJ at least). look into a bolt on Warn, Rugged Ridge or Barnett/T&J diff cover...

btw, you don't want anything to do with poly bushings. you want stock Clevite bushings. poly bushings are for race cars with no suspension travel, not Jeeps.
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
97 XJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just went ahead and installed the Energy Suspension poly bushings that I had just bought in the stock bar. They feel great for staying with the stock setup. We had to burn the old rubbers out, it was easy with the right tools (torch and an air hammer with chisels).

All these issues with the rear track bar makes me lean more and more towards taking my time and putting together a long arm triangulated 4 link. But then comes a stretch and that's a whole other story.

Thanks for the help and pics.
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
97 XJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OK so I'm revisiting this subject in planning for a UCF UHC skid. Has anyone used this bracket http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...g/PAN-OFF.html with the JKS 151 bar? I'm not sure if the offset is enough to keep similar geometry, but if it would work then it should slightly pull the bar away from the gas tank. This looks like a lower profile fix that would add strength rather than welding onto the stock bracket. Any ideas or comments?
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
BigZeus
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Unlimited is a track bar king
BigZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Who makes the unlimited track bar?
dougbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbrown
Who makes the unlimited track bar?
Lol. He's talking about Unlimited04, a person.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie

Lol. He's talking about Unlimited04, a person.
That is my idiot move of the day !
dougbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.